Author Thread: Enlightenment?
ephesians522

View Profile
History
Enlightenment?
Posted : 31 Jan, 2009 09:59 PM

Ladies, read this and tell me what you think, copy and paste;

http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.cfm?pid=630383&tab=65&agid=2

Need a truthful answer and do you think it would be a benefit?

Many blessings

Elisa

View Profile
History
Enlightenment?
Posted : 1 Feb, 2009 03:55 PM

The author posted a very important component in saying culture. A person's cultural background and beliefs will determine to a great degree the effectiveness of this approach.

You ask whether it would be a benefit. I must ask you....to whom? A benefit to yourself? to your future wife? to me? or to people in general?

My take on it is that the American culture embraces "McDonald's" marriages and "Burger King" divorces. I heard this phrase used as an analogy to explain our high divorce rate. It does make one think.

We have expectations that are so high, a poor guy would need to be Superman to meet them. No wonder divorce rates are

Arranged marriages lower expectations in some ways, but raises them in others. Not a bad idea to have those who know us best to look out for our interests. Entering into the relationship, both parties realize the relationship will take work. Neither assumes nor takes things for granted. Also, this method helps ensure parties are equally yoked.

All in all, something worth thinking about and investigating. Why limit God? If God is invited into a marriage, and then His will sought and followed throughout, my thought is that much of the rest becomes fluff.

Blessings,

Elisa

View Profile
History
Enlightenment?
Posted : 1 Feb, 2009 04:49 PM

The interesting thing about this lady's view is the fact she says that in a traditional American relationship, our love fades to nothing over 10 years and then we have to deal with a loveless marriage with nothing in common, not impossible, but difficult. On the other hand, in an arranged marriage, the love grows as the relationship progresses, so that after 5 years, they are happier than the traditional couple. That is a bold statement.

I do see many advantages to an arranged marriage, but I don't see it catching on in today's society of instant gratification. Interesting though.

That may be why there is such a low divorce rate among men who marry women from other countries, they are almost an arranged marriage. The men that marry women from the Philippines, have a divorce rate of under 15%. Compared to our national average of 51% that is huge. I wouldn't think the difference in the women alone could make that much of a difference.

Food for thought,

Leon

ephesians522

View Profile
History
Enlightenment?
Posted : 1 Feb, 2009 06:36 PM

Thank you Elisia and Leon, great insights.

I look back at my past relationships and as long term as they were, I think it was because I fell in love with them that I grew out of love for them. Sounds kinda weird, but we didn't grow to be friends (with special benefits). I didn't stray but I became more aloof which cause them to be unhappy I suppose.

We have the internet, we can get to know a person just to see if there could be something there. Like you said Leon, "We choose who we love", maybe the first choice is the best. Maybe it's "We choose who we are going to love".

Something else to think about.

View Profile
History
Enlightenment?
Posted : 8 Feb, 2009 02:10 PM

Ladies, read this and tell me what you think, copy and paste;

http://www.simonsays.com/content/book.cfm?pid=630383&tab=65&agid=2

Need a truthful answer and do you think it would be a benefit?

Many blessings

Yes I think it would be a benefit to try and find a match or arrange THE match for you. It was alot of information and I didnt read every thing but, the basic that I did read was a thumbs up. I find it intresting to me because the rates on marriages you find on your own verses getting match help can be as a confident guide for success in a relationship as your own guide in picking a match for yourself.

Phoenyx

View Profile
History
Enlightenment?
Posted : 5 Apr, 2009 06:14 PM

The author seems to delight in fornication, so that's an immediate red flag. I'm not too confident in what she has to say about making it more like arranged marriages.