Author Thread: King James
Deborahe

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 15 Jul, 2008 06:18 AM

I heard a Preacher say Satan was "stealing" The Word of God

from right under our noses; through all the different "versions" of the Bible. What do you think?

Love in Christ,

Deborah :angel:

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 15 Jul, 2008 07:46 PM

I think that if you compare the different versions and they all say the same thing from different points of view...it is good.

I personally like the King James version which could be because it was what I cut my first teeth on....! Some people find it difficult to understand. It doesn't matter what dialect you speak as long as it has the same meaning! You all, You guys, Y'all, etc...:yay:

Strawberi

hedgedweller

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 16 Jul, 2008 02:10 AM

please dont get me started, ikes, ikes, Ok, i will ave to stop now before i run off all if any friends i have on here,,,,, ok,i am going to say it,,,,, help me God,,,,

ouch,, ouch,, OUCH, OUCH! i guess i will not be able to say it after all,, i think i bit my tongue,,,,, :rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe my tongue will be feeling better tomorrow :ROFL:

:ROFL::ROFL: bye bye for now. KJV Bruce,:peace:out !!

Deborahe

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 16 Jul, 2008 06:37 AM

Bruce,

As I read between the lines; and God allowed me to "see" in

Spirit; I know your opinion on this topic mirrors my own.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free". John 8:32

God Bless,

Deborah

SusieQ8

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 16 Jul, 2008 08:52 AM

Bruce,

Welcome back to foruming and I missed your comments and probing questions?

KJV: Here goes my little comment. I say this with much love, in trepidation, concern for friendship..

Bruce, you are a pastor and evangelist, trained and cemetaried, oops, I mean seminary right? of course, you prefer the KJV.

MY opinion--

I generally stick with NKJV or sometimes the Holy Spirit brings to my rememberance verses in the KJV. I enjoy meditating in both but when it comes to reading out loud in a group of people, well, I stumble over the awkwardness of KJV.

I, also, love to read and meditate on the amplified (you know more words--more meaning--more meat). I don't care for the NIV or NLT, when in a church which reads from them I get all confused because of what has been hidden in my heart is different then what they are saying.

I believe the versions are valid and sometimes neccessary for different people groups with different vocabulary emphasis. For example: I don't think x-gangsters , x-prositutes, or people with reading disabilities and third grade levels would benefit from the KJV version as well as the NIV.

Yep, KJV causes me to have a bunch of "ths" running around in my head, that, trip when they get to my tongue.:ROFL: Probably a speech problem or my NJ accent popping-up after all these years.

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 16 Jul, 2008 02:43 PM

Well....I did say the "same meaning"....! Anything else is less than the best....:bouncy:

robin

gracealone

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 16 Jul, 2008 06:21 PM

I prefer the NASB (New American Standard Bible). To my knowledge it is the most accurate word-for-word translation around. It is an excellent bible to study from, but of course I could be biased because I started with it. I have no problem with some of the other versions though. I do express some concern with some of the "paraphrased" versions because a less than diserning christian could possibly(and I mean possibly) be misled.

Praise the name of our Father who is so rich in mercy as to save a failure like me who I'm sure is wrong all the time. To God be the glory!

Blessings to all

Deborahe

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 17 Jul, 2008 08:35 AM

There are so many different "versions"; I can't keep track of

them all.

A friend gave my daughter a new Bible ( I'm not sure which

version) and during one of our " reading scripture out loud

times", ( we take turns---- she'll read awhile; then myself );

we realized that what she was reading was completely different; just a word or two changed the entire meaning of

the verse.

I do think x-gansters and x-prostitues would greatly benefit

from KJV.I've been blessed to be able to fellowship with

several who have; and after just a few months of knowing

the Lord, they're so "on fire" for God, many of us "old - timers", could learn from them!

As for those with learning disabilities, no matter what version

they have,I think they'd still have trouble reading, but through Christ Jesus, the un- learned can become the learned. The Word of God is Sharp and Powerful----------the

Holy Ghost is our Teacher.

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to

ALL men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given

him." James 1:5

God Bless You All,

:angel:Deborah

SusieQ8

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 17 Jul, 2008 08:13 PM

I didn't mean to sound insulting or anything. I have just been told by people coming from difficult backgrounds.. they aren't comfortable with the language of the KJV. They told me they prefer the NIV.

Funny, for some reason, my mind is going to shoes. I guess it is like me and high heels or hiking boots. All good for the right purpose, but not my everyday use. I want to provide materials that are going to fit the person and the situation. So, rather than insist on my favorite version, I stick with whatever the pastor of an organization wants for use with those He is called to minister to and I am assisting.

My general purpose Bible is NKJV. It is what, I have all noted, dated, and highlighted. It is the last thing, I read before drifting off to sleep and the first thing I see upon waking. Yes, it is laying next to me all night. I will be carrying it to my car on my little trip, my companion ($10.49 at walmart).

I realize this may make me seem... I don't know less than Holy for some people but that's where I will need grace I suppose.

And while I am at this, I suppose I should tell you all, I don't memorize scripture either. I meditate more on meaning then perfection of each word. If in a post, I put it in quotes, it means I looked it up. Otherwise, I am paraphrasing from somewhere within me. I believe the Holy Spirit is bringing it to my rememberance because I didn't commit it to my head but my heart. It isn't that I am lazy, I just want it to be HIS Word not out of my head. I have heard people brag and boast about scripture memorization. I have seen there eyes go to that place where they go when remembering. I have asked them what they think it means. And some of them are clueless, but they got every dot and tittle correct. It turned me off. I decided for me: it would be a work of the flesh and Would probably be a boaster too. You know "knowledge puffeth up" Yep, looked it up..Here goes

1 Corinthians 8:1-13 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)

Public Domain

1 Corinthians 8

1Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

2And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.

3But if any man love God, the same is known of him.

4As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

5For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)

6But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

7Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.

8But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

9But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

10For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;

11And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?

12But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

13Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose in my limited spiritual vision, I feel led to replace human food for Bible versions. Hey, watch out you almost hit me with that rock. :ROFL:

Really, I am not being blasphemist, I may be wrong but I am trying to be loving and accepting. If I am at your house or fellowship, I will gratefully and with a tremendous appetite, eat the WORD of GOD; which is set before me. I will compliment those who prepared it and most likely desire seconds.

Blessings, revelations, and full spiritual bellies to all who read their Bible whatever the version: Greek, Hebrew, English, Spanish, Germany, KJV, NKJV, NIV, NASB, AMPLIFIED, Goodness the list does go on....

LOVE

:prayingf:

Susan

Deborahe

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 18 Jul, 2008 10:06 AM

Below are a few scriptures that explain why I choose to read KJV.

Galatians 1:11,12 2 Peter 1:20,21

2 Timothy 3:16,17 2 Peter 3:15,16,17,18

Satan's been known to misuse scripture. Check out Matthew 4 or Luke 4.

There's no greater feeling than having the Spirit in me allowing me to "see" what the same Spirit in the prophets of old was saying in scripture. Divine Revelation! Doesn't get much better than that! Spiritual truths must be spiritually discerned. You can't intellectualize a spiritual truth.

Maybe I'm "old school", but as for other "versions" -- who are the translaters? Are they born again Holy Ghost filled men of GOD? or could they possibly be unbelievers? I don't know who they are but they had better be careful when translaing because: " For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, GOD shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, GOD shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. " Revelation22:18,19 Powerful Stuff!

Mama always said, "If it's not broken, why try and fix it?" KJV works for me!

Just because you have a different view doesn't make you seem less than holy. I didn't mean to offend anyone. I don't feel like I've sinned against the brethren, but if my words have wounded anyone's weak conscience, I pray they will forgive me. Didn't mean to boast, just wanted to share. I can not be ashamed of things GOD has shown me.

Susie I'm sorry this upset you so bad. No rock thrown!

GOD be with all of you.

Deborah :angel:

View Profile
History
King James
Posted : 19 Jul, 2008 01:06 AM

I don't necessarily think any version is "holier" than any other. I think the key is that the version was translated as accurately as possible from the original texts. But is there one perfect translation? No. That's impossible. I speak several languages and when I interpret for someone, my wording of the same sentence could change depending on my mood, the mood of the person speaking, etc. It would still be accurate but everyone's idea or the "best" word choice to use might be different. No one is entirely objective.

Some of the looser translations give me a bit of cause for concern, but I think its wonderful that they have made God's word more accessible to people who otherwise wouldn't have read it. As they seek the Lord and His wisdom, I fully believe that God can still reveal Himself through those scriptures because His word is living...He IS the word...its not just a collection of words. That said, if the person is sincere then as they grow they will seek out more accurate texts that may have intimidated them before. Seekers will immerse themselves in the word, compare texts, pray for understanding.

I used to balk at those who said KJV only because I thought it was ridiculous that we should have to read something in a dialect no one actually speaks anymore. HOWEVER, I remember reading recently that the KJV was not only translated well but the writers intentionally structured the language so that it had a certain rythm and cadence that reflected that of the original text, like poetry. In this way it is easier to memorize and recite. That is perhaps why so many people can quote the KJV. I consistently read a variety of translations, some in other languages, which provide another interesting perspective.

Page : 1 2 3