Author Thread: JOKES; JESTING
Revelation22

View Profile
History
JOKES; JESTING
Posted : 15 Aug, 2008 09:14 AM

God has been dealing with my heart about the constant joking. Can it go to far ? Does it please God or is He totally against it ?

After meditation of Ephesians 5: 3-6 ;I'm beginning to think

telling jokes is not what He expects from us.

:rocknroll:revelation22

SusieQ8

View Profile
History
JOKES; JESTING
Posted : 15 Aug, 2008 01:51 PM

I believe the LORD has instructions but not forbidden.

:prayingf:OT: "Like a madman shooting firebrands or deadly arrows is a man who deceives his neighbor and says, 'I was only joking!'" - Proverbs 26:18-19

Concern would be for deceiving? Wow, "Like a madman shooting firebrands or deadly arrows."

At home, the children tend to call each other names (which is forbidden), anyway then they try and get out of it. So, out comes this scripture. Along with

:prayingf:Ephesians 4:32 (NKJV) �And be kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.�

NT

:prayingf:Ephesion 5:4

International standard version

Obscene, flippant, or vulgar talk is totally inappropriate. Instead, let there be thanksgiving.

New American Standard Bible (�1995)

and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

GOD'S WORD� Translation (�1995)

It's not right that dirty stories, foolish talk, or obscene jokes should be mentioned among you either. Instead, give thanks [to God].

King James Bible

Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

American King James Version

Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

There is a line between these and enjoying fellowship with some light humor. I believe it is were the hurting begins. When somebody doesn't think it is funny anymore, it should stop. I can tell not just by words, but if I stop long enough to notice body language and establish eye contact.

Again with the children, 4 boys and 4 girls; Sometimes the joking, ribbing, teasing and tickling gets out of hand around here. I notice or more then likely "hear about" it.The boys tend to be more at it and the girls are crying, btw. I tell the child/ren involved obviously it isn't funny because this child is hurting or offended. Sometimes, I have even told them it is perversion of humor to receive pleasure at the expense of another.

Yes, they say, "Aww, they just can't take a joke, mom! What a big cry baby, I can't stand being around such babies! or C'mon, lighten up--can't cha take it, huh?" (Bullies?)At this they are told to put their hand over their mouths and not to say another word, nonono, not, no, not a word! At which point, I breathe and go back to what I was doing until I am prepared to address the issue. I wait a few moments explain the wrong. Make them apologize to the injured, the witnesses, and me for their rude, vulgar, etc... and inappropriate behavior.

Now, there are times around the circle (family, yes, I almost called it zoo or farm yard but I am being serious), when the victim? wants to tell about a long past event in retailiation to switch my focus off what they have just done! Nope, not, nada, ain't gonna work=double trouble for you!

You might want to know, I have 5 dogs (labs and Bichons), 10 puppies,and 5 salamandars.

I believe there is light-hearted humor which is acceptable in GOD's sight, some more proverbs might support. It is the responsibility of the humorist to be aware and beware. And of anyone who is feeling offended to speak up in the moment or utilizing the instructions of MATT 18: 1 privately 2 witnesses 3 churched.

So far, you have been okay with me, I hope I haven't been too much or rough on you about spinning and catching. If so, I am sorry. I know this was long but I hope this helps somebody?

Susan

Revelation22

View Profile
History
JOKES; JESTING
Posted : 15 Aug, 2008 02:32 PM

It helped me.

Thank you.

View Profile
History
JOKES; JESTING
Posted : 15 Aug, 2008 05:08 PM

I guess it would be your interpretation of jokes or jesting. I don't like the term jesting because it reminds me of someone picking on someone. If I couldn't have a little humor around me, I might as well pack my bags and move to "No Man's Land!" Humor, not joking, necessarily keeps me balanced. If I never laughed or was joyful, no one would want my Christian experience. I don't tell jokes (never could keep them straight). I feel if someone can lift someone else out of a state of depression, loneliness, etc..with a bit of humor then it is blessed. You will know if the difference!

Revelation22

View Profile
History
JOKES; JESTING
Posted : 15 Aug, 2008 05:19 PM

Thank you, strawberi

I'm getting a better understanding and beginning to see the "difference". I agree with you completely.

View Profile
History
JOKES; JESTING
Posted : 19 Mar, 2009 07:48 PM

Excellent answer!