Author Thread: SharePoint Developer, a career to consider
Kirandio

View Profile
History
SharePoint Developer, a career to consider
Posted : 6 Aug, 2012 11:56 PM

So everyone knows, the path to being a good SharePoint Developer is long and challenging and will require skills in several areas:

-Visual Studio 2010 Professional or better

-MOSS 2007 with SharePoint Designer 2007 -OR- SharePoint Server 2010 and SharePoint Designer 2010

-Proficiency in C#

-Web Development skills including scripting and HTML knowledge, understanding, and manipulation

-Being fully knowledgeable about security really helps too

-Being fully knowledgeable of Hardware and Software requirements of a variety of Operating Systems for proper deployment (SharePoint Server 2010 requires a quad-core 64-bit computer with at least 4 GB of RAM)

-Installing all .NET Framework required to be able to run SharePoint Server on a system

-Installing IIS

-Proficiency with Virtual Machines is a must if someone wants to learn SharePoint

-Not to mention that SharePoint Server can only be deployed on Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 2 or Windows Server 2008 (probably needs a service pack)

-And if a developer wants to incorporate Visual Studio 2010 with SharePoint, they have to install that on the system that SharePoint Server is deployed.

-A lot of experienced Information Technology people probably have not even heard of SharePoint, much less are experienced in being able to fully take advantage of it

-Excellent communication skills to determine what it is that people want you to do as the developer.

-A patient and enduring heart in solving problems

I look forward to my challenge for the next few months: to learn as much as I possibly can about SharePoint and to put my best foot forward.