Author Thread: Lost meaning of missions/missionary
Admin

Lost meaning of missions/missionary
Posted : 24 Apr, 2012 09:58 AM

Being in a country where every year thousands of missionaries visits us, I sometimes feel the modern world have lost the meaning of missions/missimaries. I have been medidating a lot on 'Rediscovering Missions', and it would be really nice to know others' opinions. God bless.

betty85

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 May, 2012 12:29 PM

In what ways to you feel the modern world has lost touch with missions?

I have spent the last several years studying missions. There are many sides and approaches to missions, but, in my opinion, the majority of Christians are callous to the idea of 'going into the world and making disciples'.

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 May, 2012 04:07 AM

Hi Betty, I know I've started a very vast topic which could have been dealt in many smaller topics. Anyway, its a starter. So, what I really felt and meant is that sometimes people take mission trips for granted and its kind of mixed up with travel and adventure. I understand its hard in a country like India to just come and share about Jesus and thats why people try to find many other excuses to be here. But Is that all? Is it right for people to go on mission trips to find themselves first? There are too many things to be said and done. However my first and foremost intention is to bring back the fire in the young blood like those of old.e.g. William Carrey, Jim Elliot, Gladys Alyward, Amy Carmichael, Graham Staines and many more. I wish we could all try to be more effective in Jesus name. Blessings, TF.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 May, 2012 05:23 PM

Although there are exceptions, for the most part I completely agree with you Truefriend. Over the last 4 years I've spoken to many individual missionaries as well as to representatives of World Venture and the atmosphere created by sending a group of high school students overseas is rarely one of being greatly concerned for the people they're trying to reach.

But there are a number of reasons for that,

There is a huge difference between deciding it would be "fun" to go on a short term mission with friends, and being individually "called" and "prepared" by God to serve as a missionary.

Look at what the Apostle Paul went through before God sent him into the mission field.

You are also correct in saying that many of these people are finding themselves on these trips, and that's in part what these trips are for. They are not only for the peoples they're visiting, but to get young people outside of the US so they can experience how other people live in other countries, which is how most serious missionaries are born.

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 May, 2012 11:38 AM

I agree dreamtime. But...there's still this but that is everywhere. Just wish people would take it more seriously or maybe an orientation before a trip is a plus I guess. I've worked and observed especially young people who just didnt know and realise what they were doin. Taking the example of Paul is an exception I think for he was destined to be what he was going to be. Phew! Then, pre-destination? I told this topic is vast.

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 May, 2012 08:46 AM

lol,we were discussing this at bible study last night and nearly turned into a knockdown/drag-out fight.....

as some of us believe it is a simple path:

going forth baptising in the name of the Kingdom of Heaven,

feeding the hungry,clothing the nikked,lifting the fallen,visiting the sick and imprisoned.

and others believe You must have a career,get college degree,get ordained,drag people to bible studies & church services all while building schools,churches, hospitals,and there is soooo much more work that needs to be done....

dont get me wrong,diggin wells and tilling gardens is valiant.

however once YOu build a building You can no longer plant a

garden there....

Danyne4christ

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 May, 2012 12:17 PM

l served on a missionary of christian doctors and dentists am not one myself but our goal was Christ be preached.we would go to villages that could not be accessed by car or otherwise to give free medical and dental care to the people.funds were from our own pockets.we would preach the gospel while patients were being treated am talking about people who cannot afford paracetamol or panadol.Because we ourselves didnt have any source of funding we would partner with bible believing churches in those areas to be the ones to disciple those that gave their lives to christ.Given that people have limited resources together we can send missionaries that may not have the resources to mission but are available and ready to work.Many times l was called to organize missions in places l would hunt for money to go to the places to do spiritual mapping and identify the needs of the peple at least AMONTH BEFORE THE MISSION.We would pray and fast a week beffore we would hold an overnight pray most of the people that were to be part of the mision team would have to attend.these were weekend missions where we would go friday and return sunday after service with one of the hosting pastor one of us would prepare a sermon and thousands gave their lives to Christ bcoz of the love between us and also shown to the people God showed himself we saw people being heald and delivered from demonic oppression.What am l trying to say?effective mission work is team work to send those that are willing to go,but some only want to go bcoz they have funded but cannot do the we need to be able to clearly separate the roles.Danyne

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 May, 2012 09:17 PM

Well Done Danyne4christ keep up the great work...:applause:

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 May, 2012 03:06 AM

I know that this is from one of John Piper's books. I think he makes a great point about missions:

http://www.reallifeboston.com/getinvolved/LetTheNationsBeGlad.pdf

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 May, 2012 11:52 AM

Thanks Guys:) Keep shedding light to the thread. I'm following and reading it and actually putting a lot of thought s and reflecting on it. I will post some more relevant issues in the days to come. Group think is necessary.bless you all @ peace, dayne,and to......

teach_ib

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 May, 2012 02:40 PM

The changing rules and security guidelines affect how people can serve as missionaries. There may be more missionaries in your country or other countries with strict laws than people realize. Some people are called to speak out boldly and risk personal freedom or death. Others are called to serve as some that have posted through services such as medical, construction, etc. A living missionary can reach more souls than a dead one.

As for mission trips, they are necessary to 'weed out' those who think they are called as well as provide opportunities for people to reach out who may not be able or called to serve full time on the mission field. Also, those who believe they are called to be a full time missionary need to narrow down the location that God has for them to serve. Some people may want to see how their mission giving is being used.

Anyone going out to share the Gospel, whether in their backyard or on the other side of the world should keep in mind they are on 'duty' 24/7. People are observing how we live...if they don't see the difference that Christ makes in our lives, why would they want what we have?

Page : 1 2