Author Thread: Troublesome Television from the Start
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Troublesome Television from the Start
Posted : 31 Jul, 2019 07:14 PM

Romans 1:21

New International Version

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 31 Jul, 2019 08:10 PM

Don’t get me wrong, l used to like television and still do. I still like to watch on occasion.

But I noticed a “forget about God” trend taking shape in the early to mid years of television programming and movie making. Yes, I talking way back, even before cuss words were hinted!!

I hasten to say that not every program or movie back then took God for granted. Some evoked his name quite freely in a positive sense and rightfully seemed to recognize his sovereignty.

My criticism centers on shows that often featured strong and wise heroes. If seemed these heroic fellows would handedly confront insurmountable challenges head on and always won!! Every single time!!

I have no trouble with a hero winning but I do have a problem with a human hero, fictional of real, who thinks he wins solely on the basis of his “own” strength and wit.

Of course, none of the heroes ever boasted about their many high flung feats. That would be socially unacceptable. You can’t have a hero who boasts about himself!! No way, even godless people find that revolting. So the scriptwriter has found another way to boast about the “achievements” of his hero. That’s where the kinda like semi-sycophant characters come in handy, they do the boasting for their hero—just like real life huh!

Of course there’s nothing wrong with a character praising a the show’s hero—especially when it’s the hero’s girl friend that he never marries.

But here’s the rub.

In all the series of episodes, the “hero” never thanks God for delivering him out of his troubles!! NONE!

Never thanks God for health, intelligence and opportunity!! NONE!!

It’s like the hero is a “self-made-man”, supposedly the captain of his own fate!

Obviously the hero doesn’t need to acknowledge God or pray, because after all, he’s the one who makes things happen! >>dripping sarcasm here<<

To conclude, I believe refusing to thank God or recognize his sovereignty over life is every bit as much a sin as all the other sins that proceeded or evolved from it in later years.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Aug, 2019 01:53 PM

Some stars thank God in their speeches, after winning a Emmy, Tony, Oscar awards. However, this does not mean they are actually serving God.

KJVonly

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Aug, 2019 01:54 PM

Well said LittleDavid!

Some people wallow in "sweet victory" and never give God the glory he deserves!

I wonder if that is why God allows some people to come close to death, because praise starts to dribble from their mouths freely then when escape comes!

Sadly there are others who I have seen on TV who escaped a tornado and never said THANK GOD!! See Wolf Blitzer Asks an Atheist if She "Thanked the Lord" # Oklahoma Tornado on YouTube.

KJVonly

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Aug, 2019 02:01 PM

Oh yeah and the comments are way worse! It hurt to read them.

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Jan, 2020 02:32 AM

if they bring back roadrunner and coyote I might get a t.v. for that :D

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Jan, 2020 02:33 AM

and felix the cat and underdog.