Author Thread: Do Not Be Yoked With Unbelievers
Admin

Do Not Be Yoked With Unbelievers
Posted : 20 Jul, 2011 12:08 PM

14Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? 15What harmony is there between Christ and Belialb? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: �I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.�

17�Therefore come out from them

and be separate,

says the Lord.

Touch no unclean thing,

and I will receive you.� 2 Corinthians 6

18�I will be a Father to you,

and you will be my sons and daughters,

says the Lord Almighty.�

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jul, 2011 08:11 AM

ya, yoked together is really more about marrying them, going into business with them...it does not mean you can't ask them out for a cup of coffee..

michael

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jul, 2011 12:14 PM

I think this scripture speaks clearly.

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jul, 2011 05:28 AM

I agree with lovingcoman. BUt it doesn't mean anyone else is wrong about what they think the scripture is saying to them. Scripture has different meanings to each of us because God is talking to us through scripture!

If a woman is with a non-believer it doesn't mean she should leave him either. Because she can win him over by her actions.:angel:

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jul, 2011 09:44 AM

Nice post Deb, thanks...I pray that I never use the word wrong...scripture, if you recall, says of its self that it is sharper than any two edge sword, dividing well, able to separate very fine things from one another, able to penetrate the intentions of the heart...I am remembering a "technique" Jesus Christ used...the answer a question with a question....that technique actually works....need to find out where someone is coming from, answer their question with a question...

have fun with it.

bless,

michael

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jul, 2011 12:36 PM

Again God's word is true. Let every man be a liar.

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jul, 2011 12:44 PM

let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged. Romans 3:4

Asher_Aurelius

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Aug, 2011 03:31 AM

To Somethinglikethat,

Thank you for your commitment to what you believe to be the true word of God.

The Bible teaches, "Do not correct the fool in his foolishness lest you be drawn down in his foolish ways." But it also says "Correct the fool in his foolishness lest you be drawn down in his foolish ways."

These two statements are contradictory. So does the Bible contradict itself? I personally do not believe that it does. The reason I chose these two scriptures is because they are both proverbs and they follow each other. So in this context it seems clear that amongst other things it calls us to use our brain in how we approach different situations. God has given us the ability to think symbolically and it is clear that there is a degree of interpretation according to the circumstances required here.

Myself, I am not familiar with the conversation surrounding this scripture other than the orthodox do not marry unbelievers.

But you do raise an interesting point. The passage of 2 Cor 6:14-7:1 if association is not allowed in one area why not all? The the complete teachings of the Bible make the heart of this clear. For instance, Paul himself sinned by bringing them the Gospel in the first place...

But then is it about having relationships that are spiritually unwise. If you take this angle then marrying a non-believer - although they may be a person of peace, and they agree to raise their children in the faith, does this mean we are able to marry non believers?

So is it about wisdom in relationships or a statute for behaviour and living?

Asher_Aurelius

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Aug, 2011 03:32 AM

(or something else of course?)

jehovajira5185

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Aug, 2011 03:34 AM

I agree with somethinglikethat, the scripture is clear, and it does not pertain to just being married to an unbeliever, it pertains to friendship as well. For what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? And what communion hath light with darkness? There is a common non-biblical saying " Birds of a feather flock together". What would a Christian be doing married or dating a non-believer, A biblical relationship is one based around God, and without Him we can not truly love one another. There is no paradox here, there is no "well maybe if i give him time I'll win him over to the Lord" that is nonsense, we can't cause someone to believe in God, the Holy spirit will work through us, but ultimately that was God that changed there heart. The disciples were commanded "And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet. Matthew 10:14" In other words if some one will not hear the gospel you are speaking to them, let God work on them, you have done your part. The seed has been planted, but ONLY God can make that grow! Philippians 4:13 " I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." And as for dating, in its self it is not biblical, but marriage is and being engaged for a short time is as well, but the whole concept of dating is a 20th century idea. The key is to get to know someone very well, pray about it, to see if it is truly God's will, or it may just be our will, the flesh is weak, but the spirit indeed is willing! I'm done for now, lol

LionessArising

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2011 11:30 PM

Yes, we are to be a 'light' in the world.. to shine Jesus into their dark world.. if we only hang out with The Righteous... then sinners wont know the truth and/ or be turned off and or feel rejected. God brings many people in my life and I actually get along great with the un-saved and/ or those whos not totally dedicated to God. I beleive God uses me and they are just usually easier to talk to. Its some of these christians that are hard to talk with at time.. they are like trying to be 'to perfect' and want others to be on the same level. I am me, and God loves me as I am. He uses/ cam use me as I am. He is the one who changes me from Glory to Glory/ But, doesnt reject me cause i 'havent arrived' yet' .

:waving: so if you ( the guy who started this post) are gonna exclude people from all walks of life and try to throw religion or scripture down their throats. you will just turn them off/

Page : 1 2