Author Thread: Christian / Secular music
Admin

Christian / Secular music
Posted : 12 Aug, 2011 06:14 PM

Hello everyone!

I've got a question that I'm sure someone has the answer to..

Lately I have felt the need to not completely rid myself of secular music, but start listening to more uplifting, Christian music. My tastes vary quite a bit. I like almost everything, but have been listening to a lot of oldies rock, reggae, indie, and sometimes metal. I've been on a huge 311, Sublime, Pepper, and Slightly Stupid kick. I realize these bands don't always have the best message.

Back to the question! Now that you know my musical preferences I'd like your input. Generally I find Christian music to be terrible. In fact, a lot of it is just annoying. I found a church that has a great worship leader and the entire church sings along. I LOVE that, but when it comes to finding good Christian music outside of my church I think it might be impossible.

Are there any bands you could recommend to me? Some songs I could listen to and worship while I drive/ work?

Sheena19

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Aug, 2011 07:26 PM

Dude, all I have to say is, you're missing out. Trust me, I had the same problem. I just googled Christian artist and found a world of artist that I never even heard before. I looked up Christian versions of my favorite artist back in the day like, Avenged Sevenfold, Paramore, 30 Seconds To Mars, We Are Scientist, etc. I have a very broad taste in music, and I thought that I would never be able to give up my secular music. But there's a lot Christian artists out there that are on the same radio stations, music programs, and billboard charts as the secular artists, you just don't notice them b/c there isn't a choir singing in the background lol.There's sites like JesusFreakhideout.com, tvu.com, and other Christian music sites that might help. Or you could google Christian artists by genre. Oh yeah and Youtube is a really good source. I just listened to a couple of different artists w/ an open mind, then after I started to find artist that I was actually into, I started to find other artists that I liked by checking out similar artists and music (sorry for artists so much lol). Hope this helps:)

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Aug, 2011 06:16 PM

I am having this problem also. I have been scouring spotify for christian music and can't get into more than one or two songs by the same artist. My tastes are Damien rice, Florence and the machine, Brandi Carlile, Chevelle, The killers, Automatic Loveletter, etc.. I have a wide range of interest, but I can't seem to find a Christian band/artist that is consistently good and/or has an interesting sound that engages me.

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Aug, 2011 01:24 PM

Check out Fireflight, Jesus Culture, Kim Walker, Third Day and Group 1 Crew.

AllforGod417

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Aug, 2011 07:18 PM

Third day is awesome so is group 1 crew. Also, I found a liking to skillet, pillar and toby mac. I was into rap and r&b music and I also found christian rap like Lacrae, trip lee, tedashii, Da T.R.U.T.H and ect.. I do not crave the secular anymore I use to and now the desire is completely gone and I know for myself the more I grow in the word and my relationship with God the more I change and those wordly desires leave me. :rocknroll:

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Sep, 2011 01:58 PM

No ideas for listening in the car, but I've got an internet radio thingy at home and I listen to Christian radio (American of all things!) for two reasons:

a) The UK doesn't have national Christian radio on AM or FM. We have Premier for the London area, and UCB available via cable, but that's about it. They're also more talk shows than praise and worship

b) The US has a much broader variety of music in this genre. My tastes are pretty-much mainstream anyway such as Third Day, Fusebox, Big Daddy Weave, etc. (i.e. the kind of songs you may sing in a church service), but I've discovered so many brilliant songs, or better versions of the ones I know.

sweetspirit500

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Sep, 2011 01:43 AM

I just read a christian book talking a bit on music..we got to be careful when listening to secular music because some may have demonic influence.I read a testimony where a teenange girl was being possessed by a demon as she listens to a lot of CDs that she receive as a gift from friends and strangers.

About Christian music ,i think there are lots of nice Christian songs..my favourite is Don Moen,Bob Fitts,Hillsongs, and mostly 80's and 90's songs..

To me, i think what matters most is our Heart towards God when we sing..it is not so much on how loud we bang the instruments..God sees our heart even if we sing the wrong key or play the wrong note..it doesn't matter.In the end it's our heart that counts!

I remembered i was so nervous, the last minute i was told to worship lead in cg..I played a few wrong chords and i really thought it was a disaster,but everyone told me they felt refreshed after the worship.It is God's presence there changed the atmosphere.

Hope my coment helps :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Sep, 2011 03:35 PM

Third Day is consistently excellent. They were originally released on secular radio and had a hit song before people figured out they were a "Christian Band". They're as good as anybody out there. I came up on the 80's metal scene, when ALL rock was considered evil among church people. If you like it heavy, try "Day of Fire."

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Sep, 2011 04:22 PM

There is a lot of good Christian Music out there. It all depends on the type of music your prefer really. I can list a few for you to start with.

Lecrae- He is a Christian Rap artist who sings about well everything really. He puts Gods Message into real world issues, really good stuff.

Skillet- Rock band, noone really thinks they are christian artist but they are.

Jeremy Camp- Great artist, hard to dislike.

TobyMac- Good stuff from him as well. Hip Hop style

Group 1 Crew- Christian version of Black eyed peas, good stuff.

There are a lot more, but these are my favorites. You should check them out.

seriouslyone

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Oct, 2011 06:12 PM

I myself like Southern Gospel Music, Gaither Vocal Band, The Hoppers, The Issacs, Jason Crabb, and many more.... If you have DirecTv go to 828 you will find christian music:applause:

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Nov, 2011 09:44 AM

The best thing to do may be to listen to internet Christian Radios, for a while, of different genres. Look them up. This way, when you hear a song that catches your ear, check for the musician, and take it from there. =)

Page : 1 2