Author Thread: How committed could you be?
ephesians522

View Profile
History
How committed could you be?
Posted : 19 Jan, 2009 10:57 AM

Everyone here on this site would be committed to the Lord, to follow God's will and do what is pleasing in His eyes.

We all would prefer to be paired up with a companion here on earth to bring joy and comfort in our lives. But how committed could we be to them? Could we show the same devotion to them as we do to the Lord? If they were Guided by the Holy Spirit to drop everything and follow a plan set by God would we make ourselves a part of that?

A quandary:

You have been an earthly companion with someone for some time. Together you have built a life following the word of the Lord and established comfort here on earth. One day your better half has a few coins on them and buys a lottery ticket. That evening the numbers come up and you find out that you are the winner of the "mega" jackpot worth millions of dollars, truly a blessing from the Lord. Come the next morning, as excited as you are, your mate tells you a vision had come to them and God had instructed them not only to give the proceeds away to specific groups and individuals, but also the rest of your possessions God had blessed you with.

Now we know the fortune cast upon us would be easy to give away, it was never really ours in the first place, but the rest of the things gathered while in the relationship? If you prayed about it and got know specific answer from the Lord but they keep insisting that is what needed to be done, would you be committed to both God and them to go along with it? To restart life with nothing?

Just something to ponder, being a Christian and in a God given relationship it could come to past. How devoted could you be?

crleader

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jan, 2009 10:13 PM

This is a good one.... as it states in 1Corintheans chapter 7... to marry the virgin bride is good, but to remain single is even better.

I came across that section the other night through a study and it struck me the way you posted it here. Makes me truly think. Being single, its very easy to give God your all, where when you become involved the obligation you have is turned twords your significant other... Chapter 7 puts it "your views become worldy". Yet, God has given us the need to be with others through marriage, relationships and so forth.

As I said, this is a good post lol.

God Bless

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Apr, 2009 05:34 AM

"If you prayed about it and got know [sic] specific answer from the Lord"

The Word of God says if we seek we shall find. The God I serve answers the prayers of his children.

In response to the overall topic, finding a mate to commit to is really finding a co-laborer in life. If we allow God to chose and reveal the person he has for us and we accept that person as our mate then even our marriage will be centered in his perfect will. If we marry the person our will has chosen then we will be in the permissive will of God and things will be a little tougher, but his grace is sufficient.

If God has chosen someone to remain single, I'm sure they'll know it and come to embrace it as their relationship with him grows. These people are free to pursue God with reckless abandon, whatever the cost, more so than a married person.

This is my view of course. I'm not trying to force it upon anyone else, nor is it any part of any doctrine I'm clinging to. It's simply the way I feel and believe.

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Aug, 2009 07:30 PM

I like the way you put it rbaer, We also have to remember that marriage is also a partnership in ministry. If your mate is the one the Lord made for you, and if you are in His will it will be, your spiritual gifts will complement each others. The Lord will have given you the same dreams/desires, and if my mate told me that the Lord told them these things, I like to think that I would believe them at their word. I lived in a tent for over two years through my addiction with meth and alcohol, if I am in His will it would be better than that. And don't forget " do not worry about what you will wear or where you will lay your head, your Father in heaven knows what you need", He will provide. If you are truly surrendered to Him and believe His promises there should be no question minus the ones that the enemy may plant.