Author Thread: Against Calvinism by Roger E. Olsen
KindHeartedWoman8

View Profile
History
Against Calvinism by Roger E. Olsen
Posted : 28 May, 2012 10:34 AM

I have read this book. Great Book. To me Reformed means changed..and I don't go around changing God's Word. I don't need to label myself as anything. I am Christian and I read the Bible. I don't go by what someone else s opinion is. I dont hate Calvinists I just don't agree what they stand for.

KindHeartedWoman8

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 May, 2012 01:53 PM

And I also most defiantly don't believe in the Hocus Pocus called.

TULIP � Total depravity, Unconditional election, Limited atonement, Irresistible grace and the Perseverance of the saints.:bouncy:

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 May, 2012 01:54 PM

A few points...

1. Your definition of the word reformed is irrelevant because that's not the definition of a reformed Christian.

2. You call yourself a Christian. This is a label and hypocritical.

3. You imply that Calvinists go by someone's opinion, which you haven't proven to be so.

4. If you really didn't go by someone someone's opinion...then you shouldn't promote a book by someone who doesn't understand Calvinism.

5. As I already pointed out to you in the other thread...there is a companion book to this called, For Calvinism. Neither of these books are exhaustive on the issue. Olsen misrepresents the Calvinist view quite a bit in the book and there are a couple good critiques of Against Calvinism on it's Amazon.com page.

6. For those wanting a critique of Calvinism to support their already held belief...Against Calvinism would be a good option. For those wanting a serious and fair critique of Calvinism that represents it as it really is...this is not the book for you.

KindHeartedWoman8

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 May, 2012 02:02 PM

Have you read the book Holding??? Or once aook you haven't regain commenting on a book you haven't read!

I think Calvinism is Boloney as in Boloney sandwiches with a pickle on the side! :dancingp:

I might answer you later if you in fact have read the book.

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 May, 2012 02:04 PM

For those not wishing to find the reviews for themselves :)

The first one on this page is a very good, yet still brief critique

http://www.amazon.com/Against-Calvinism-Roger-E-Olson/product-reviews/031032467X/ref=cm_cr_dp_qt_hist_one?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

The first on on this page is good as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Against-Calvinism-Roger-E-Olson/product-reviews/031032467X/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_2?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addTwoStar&showViewpoints=0

Both of the critiques above reference page numbers in Olson's book so that you can look it up for yourselves :)

A much more in depth critique can be found here...

http://triablogue.blogspot.com/2011/10/against-calvinism-reviewed.html

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 May, 2012 02:10 PM

"Have you read the book Holding??? Or once aook you haven't regain commenting on a book you haven't read!"

I have explained this to you before. I've made the case to you that you have deemed books not worthy of reading before in your life based on one reason or another. Thankfully we have some faithful people who put in the time to review these books for us...Reviews serve a great purpose...The reviews I've have provided in here give direct quotes and page numbers for your viewing pleasure. I don't need to read the book to know why I disagree :) Have you read For Calvinism? By your own standard then, you cannot disagree with the book...

"I think Calvinism is Boloney as in Boloney sandwiches with a pickle on the side!"

Great, but I don't. You also told me not to follow man, so I will not follow you here :)

"I might answer you later if you in fact have read the book. "

No need. I posted here so that others might not be led astray by someone who doesn't understand and misrepresents Calvinism. They would be better served to read someone who is For Calvinism, to understand it better. Having said that, I am not saying to read the book, For Calvinism...these books are both just sort of overviews.

KindHeartedWoman8

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 May, 2012 08:39 PM

The other reason why I think Against Calvinism is a good book.

Its because it gives you all the peoples names that actually believe in Calvinism so you know not to believe a word they say!!!

If you want to know the Truth read the Word of God.

God NEVER said go out into the world and make all these separate groups of people that believe different things about my word!!!!

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 May, 2012 08:45 PM

"Its because it gives you all the peoples names that actually believe in Calvinism so you know not to believe a word they say!!!"

Right...it gives you all the names haha. First the book would have to make a compelling case...which is does not, so the names are irrelevant.

"God NEVER said go out into the world and make all these separate groups of people that believe different things about my word!!!! "

No worries...some of the great missionaries in Christian history were reformed :)

David Brainerd(sp?), William Carey, etc...