Author Thread: Straight Edge
natalie9387

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 27 Nov, 2012 02:44 PM

Who here is Straight Edge i.e. doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs or have sex.

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 27 Nov, 2012 04:37 PM

I fit all of the above, but then, so do some atheists. The question is why those characteristics are important to you...

natalie9387

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 28 Nov, 2012 08:11 PM

I am Straight Edge because drinking, smoking, and drugs are unhealthy and bad for you and causes a lot of problems even if taking those things once in a while it all ends up badly in the long run.

As for sex, I have not had sex because I think having sex when only after being married is the proper way to go. Otherwise having sex before then it's not right and a lot of issues and problems can come from it.

Philipian

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 30 Nov, 2012 01:17 AM

Please keep the good thing up. Remember Hebrews 13:4....Marriage is honorable in all and a bed undefiled. But adulterer/adulteress shall God judge.

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 30 Nov, 2012 06:18 PM

I don't drink, and I don't have sex. I don't smoke either, but I do vape, which means I use electronic cigarettes that emit water vapor instead of tobacco smoke.

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 6 Dec, 2012 05:17 PM

I am a "Straight Edge".

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 9 Dec, 2012 12:45 PM

Me also. I think we need to remember though, no matter how "straight" you are, you're still a sinner saved by grace alone, and you are never better than anyone else on this planet simply because you don't have the same habits/sins/past that they do. That said, I can testify that being "Straight" makes life so much simpler and problem free. God's plan for our lives is always a blessing, whether we can see it or not. Leaning on chemical or physical dependencies for relief and support, instead of God, will turn your character into a weak thing(not to mention that it's usually a huge waste of money that could be less poorly spent). I don't believe that a christian should let anything have control over their mind or body or will except God. It's like building a house on sand. Our "job" is to overcome the desires of the flesh. I understand what it feels like to let things make you feel like you "need" them, I still have things in my life, but it's probably the most dangerous thing in the world to let yourself believe that. You don't need anything except God. Not even this life, God can raise the dead.

:peace::peace:

Philipian

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 10 Dec, 2012 07:58 AM

Kudos to Straight Edge.....

But we must look on from there. What Jesus did for us mankind is more potent and superseded any return of order and decency than what being a Straight Edge can do. What being a Straight Edge cant achieve enough for man, Jesus had achieved it for us thousands years back. Does it mean I cast aspersion on being a Straight Edge? NO. NEVER.

We must be constantly reminded that the Sacrifice of Jesus for man was achieved not with any ordinates or abstinence of man, but by the death of Jesus for us.

mithridates

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 15 Dec, 2012 11:17 AM

Considering that Jesus himself would drink on occasion, I find that absolute abstinence from alcohol doesn't really provide any benefits for the body when compared to infrequent drinking. On the contrary, a glass of red wine every day or two has shown to have its benefits for the body.

But I'm being quite the nitpicker here. Obviously such a lifestyle, especially if done for the Lord, is a very honorable thing and one to be praised. Chastity for the lord in all its forms (after all, Chastity goes far beyond sex) will only help you as a Christian.

As for me, I have followed all of them except the drinking, but it's incredibly rare that I do drink.

mithridates

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 15 Dec, 2012 11:18 AM

Considering that Jesus himself would drink on occasion, I find that absolute abstinence from alcohol doesn't really provide any benefits for the body when compared to infrequent drinking. On the contrary, a glass of red wine every day or two has shown to have its benefits for the body.

But I'm being quite the nitpicker here. Obviously such a lifestyle, especially if done for the Lord, is a very honorable thing and one to be praised. Chastity for the lord in all its forms (after all, Chastity goes far beyond sex) will only help you as a Christian.

As for me, I have followed all of them except the drinking, but it's incredibly rare that I do drink.

Philipian

View Profile
History
Straight Edge
Posted : 16 Dec, 2012 11:08 AM

The purity of life obtainable in being a Straight Edge is one that is creditable. But beyond being a Straight edge, the essence of the Lord Jesus death and how it brought man redemption is a clinically finished and proven testament, that beyond the rules of man's legality and abstinence from certain practices, Christ did a perfect job in we humans who had accepted him.

Page : 1 2