Author Thread: Food, Poverty, and Chipotle lol
jaredastevenson

View Profile
History
Food, Poverty, and Chipotle lol
Posted : 11 Mar, 2013 01:02 PM

Hi! My Name Is Jared Stevenson. My question is how can The Church fight for Justice in these areas, where injustice is going crazy? Although these documentaries might not have the solution to our food situation. I think these are great documentaries! I am a man very much so burden by low income poverty that is creating a cycle of obesity and generational poverty. So I am fighting with my local church in the streets, on the south west side of OKC, to do something about it, and to just plain raise awareness. I pray you will do the same.

Food Inc: http://documentaryaddict.com/Food+Inc-2174-documentary.html

A Place at the Table: http://www.takepart.com/place-at-the-table

Oh and eat more Chipotle and less qdoba. Here is why: http://www.chipotle.com/en-US/fwi/fwi.aspx

Grace and Peace :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Apr, 2013 06:23 PM

Hi Jared, jus ran into your post and found it interesting. I am an Earth Science major and have similar concerns. However I have learned that it is not the church's place to enter into the realms of politics, science, philosophy, or other disciplines. One reason is you want to be careful what you associate your church with. The church's number one priority is to make disciples of all the nations. The church is working in a spiritual realm to spread the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. These other things, if we are not careful may deter us, because they are pressing issues, and we may fall in danger of abandoning our first love (Christ and Him crucified) Rev. 2:4. Recall that our warfare is not against flesh and blood, but against powers and principalities, Eph. 6:4 it is a spiritual warfare we are most concerned with. I think what the Lord calls us to do in these matters is �to be anxious for no thing but in all things through prayer and supplication make your request known to God.� Phil 4:6

Now the Christian as an individual is a whole other story. I see nothing wrong for raising awareness. If you have brethren willing to join you in your cause it is an admirable thing. As long as one has a Biblical perspective when entering any cause it�s a good thing and can be used as a tool to reach the lost. As long as one conducts his or herself in a God honoring way. I come to see there are so many issues, especially environmental, my head spins and I feel you I want to get involved and I plan too. The food crisis is astonishing. Monsanto practices are infuriating. So on that regard spread the knowledge.

It is encouraging to see you have taken a proactive approach. May the Lord be with you in your endeavors. This man may not of been a Christian, but he spoke well when he said, �Be the change in the world that you want to see.� -Ghandi-

PS Can�t wait to chek out some of those docs

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 Apr, 2013 09:09 PM

excuse me,i am kinda slow in these areas,

How exactly doe's poverty lead to obesity?

how can one with nothing to eat be obese?

prayreadwalk

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 May, 2013 12:39 AM

Because unhealthy, packaged, ready to eat food is cheaper than healthy food.

I think churches can use social issues as a way to engage with people and be relevant, as long as they still have a strong emphasis on salvation through Jesus, both with belief and obedience.

ChristianArtsy

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Jul, 2013 04:09 AM

When it comes to "social" issues why do we have to always add ", as long as it doesn't take away from Jesus". Didn't Jesus feed the multitude, didn't Jesus tell us to feed the hungry. What the brother has a passion for and is inspiring others to do focuses on Jesus, no?. The devil doesn't care about homeless people sleeping in a park across the street from a new sky rise construction site. With respect, I'm not sure he needs to be reminded of whose in charge, maybe, just maybe the brother is following Jesus, and maybe, just maybe someone will receive his act of LOVE, and follow him... I didn't hear God (when I paid attention) in the traditional fashion that somebody somewhere believed. God is Soooo BIG