Author Thread: Finding a church
Admin

Finding a church
Posted : 5 May, 2013 11:24 AM

Today something very exciting happened to me. Something I want to witness to the world.

How do we know what church to attend?

When I was a young man I was approached by a group and told about a church. This is a big known church named Calvary Chapel. I visited this church and it seemed well enough so I began to attend.

Prior to that all church decisions were made by my parents. Calvary was really my first decision as a budding adult. Joe seemed to be a good teacher and the church was big enough that I could slip and out unnotticed. Being that I am generally a loner. I stayed with calvary for about 15 years. When I realised I needed more from my church.

I can not recall Joe ever really getting excited about who Jesus is and the nature of God. I can not recall ever being motivated to want to know God more. I could be wrong.....

I in the past have had some deep seated trust issues and calvary I think provided the security I needed because they too have trust issues. Did I realise this at the time? No I did not. But anyway I knew I needed more but what. Do I even know what I need and what church to attend?

So I visited a church local to my home. A small community of believers. Their friendy disposition and unique style of worship was appealing to me. Finding men who had strived to lead was very appealing to me as well. Men that I could find trustworthy.

I remained with this community of believers for around 5 years untill a falling away due to the break down of trust. You see the same fear issues were here as in the larger Calvary chapel. Fear that would create the need for controll on their part. Being a man who was raised with much fear and controll by my parents this is probally why I found this appealing on a unconsious level.

But God had me on the path of being free from the old and I was in the making of a new man lead by the voice of God and not my fear. This is what is called faith.

So I went for some time without attending any church.......Then I began to attend another local small church just for a few months. I appreciated Jakes teaching but again their was this sense of controll and fear.

Now I know all these people are well meaning and I am in no way trying to deminish their faith or faithfulness. I am just giving an account of my interactions and story leading me to where I am today.

For me I could either take or leave church. If a preacher would preach from the bible their was really never anything new I could take form him because I have been a student of the bible for over 30 years as well. I always thought their preaching was good and I generally agreed with them.

Then I tried a church that I used to attend the young adult meetings to try picking up girls. Oops was I suposed to admit that?

What I come to realise and Tim the preacher realised also I believe is that we even though being the body and one are isolated beings. We have a comfort zone that we rarely like to step out of. He would have the congregation participate in activities during service that would cause us to have to come out of our comfort zones. Not only that but to express vualneribility and care for another.

His mission that I could see was unity and the body expressing love and openness together. He also preaches much about faith and practically of faith, what this looks like.

But I still had a problem. How do I know this is the right church for me and I am not just going on emotion? I really wanted to find a church family but what makes one church any better than another? Do I just out of blind faith choose this fellowship like I have chosen others? Maybe one day to find my self hurt and dissapointed.

I am telling this story because I believe this is not only my plight but the plight of many. I believe many can relate with me in this.

This is where the story changes. Because God steps in to the situation. When God steps in great and might things happen. Supernatural things.

In the past I would listen to a sermon and it was nice and I would agree with it but now .................

Every morning proir to service I would be specifically thinking about something and Tim would specifically have his sermon highlight be about that very thing. This was no ramdom inncodent but every week for the past 3 months or more. There were even a couple times i went up to him and shared this with him after. He said yes he had had others come and tell of such things.

But I wounder was it every week for months at a time? To give you the last examples. My father in India was hopsitalised and was in intensive care. Last week I was encouriging Lalnei my feincee about faith and Jesus healing and trusting God by faith. Then that morning Tim taught specifically about the woman who had the issue of blood healed and the young girl healed.

Last night I had a dream and when I woke I had a compelling need to give financially and support the church for the first time. I wanted to find individual widdows who might need financial support. I was planning to ask Tim if he knew any widdows I could help. Now I dont remember in the months of attending Tim teaching about giving financially.

I am usually keen to such things woundering how much a church wants to get into my wallet. This morning I for the first time brough a significant offering to give. I have never considered it before today. What do you think Tim was teahing about?

His teaching highlights were do we give what costs us to Get Jesus or do we give up Jesus to get money. He was contrasting Mary who anointed Jesus feet for burial with Judas who wanted to pocket some of the money and latter betrayed Jesus for silver coins.

When I was listening God spoke to me. He said do you see what I am doing? He said I am confirming to you that I have chosen these people for you.

You see God has done something supernatural. For the past months He has given to me the preaching highlights in advance. That I might today with a pocket full of money make a decision to join my life with this fellowship. To give of my self to this fellowship. That He has led me to the church family He has for me and my future wife.

God is willing to lead us are we willing to listen and allow our own emotions to get out of the way?

He tells us that if we are led by the Spirit we will not fulfill the desires of the flesh.

Do you know the voice of God? Do you take the time to listen?