Author Thread: Worship team - paid pros amateur volunteers?
Admin

Worship team - paid pros amateur volunteers?
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 02:40 AM

Many churches rely on (semi) talented members of the congregation to make up their worship team; others for various reasons choose to pay professional musicians to lead who aren't necessarily believers. What's your opinion?

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 06:15 AM

From within the Body of the Congregation...our Church's worship team is all members of the Congregation...they aren't paid...they do it freely because it is in their heart to do so...I wish I could play an instrument and sing so beautifully as they do...I know of some churches that go all out on the production and probably use and pay some pros...as for them not being believers I know not...xo

teach_ib

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 06:49 AM

Praise and worship should be just that...why would someone contract that out? How can non-believers praise and worship Someone they do not know?

My church is blessed with believers that are musically gifted. I have been in small churches and even they had talented Christians to lead music.

The Bible says make a joyful noise...that's what I do because I have extremely limited musical talents.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Nov, 2013 11:39 AM

The question that you need to be asking is a much more fundamental one.

Who sets the parameters on what is permissible in worship? God or man?

If man, then who cares what the worship consists of? It's all arbitrary anyway. (what the music portion of worship consists of? who does the singing? what type of music? are there instruments or not? is the "worship team" paid or not?., etc.)

If, man is the one who decides than it makes NO difference. Do whatever you want. This is exactly what the overwhelming majority of churches do. Let them do it any way that they want. They are buildings full of Baal worshippers anyway.

... But if God sets the parameters...........

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Nov, 2013 05:33 AM

the worker is worthy of their keep?

having been a musician i understand

the 10 hours of rehearsal time for 10 minutes

of flawless performance time.

having been a church administrator i have

heard the complaints concerning the efforts of the

less rehearsed....

i can totally understand how a frusterated church staff

could crumble under the demands of congregates,the lack of musically volunteering congregates,and break down and

"Hire a Choir"

as it would remove a burden they never were required to bear in the first place.?!

DontHitThatMark

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Nov, 2013 06:00 AM

I've had a bad experience with this, and I don't think that a church should hire outside musicians. That's just my opinion though, I don't think that there is a biblical precedent against it as long as it's genuinely praising and glorifying God and NOT the musicians or congregation.

:peace::peace:

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Nov, 2013 12:02 PM

If they pay heathens to come sing, is it not wasting church money on idolatry in the church of all places?

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Nov, 2013 05:08 AM

this is why they are called "wages of sin"?:ROFL:

worship is a condition of the heart?

if we are looking at the praise team,we have already taken our eyes off the Kingdom....

Meghan91

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Dec, 2013 11:09 AM

I don't understand how you could hire a non-believer or somebody who really doesn't want to take part in your church to lead worship! There's no reason why worship shouldn't be led by fellow congregants and believers . If you really need rocking music at church you could always spend a little money to pay for lessons for your current church members than pay a ton of money for a non-believer to lead worship.