Author Thread: fasting advice
wjames85

View Profile
History
fasting advice
Posted : 5 Jan, 2014 12:45 PM

Hi everyone our Church is holding a fasting over the next few weeks. And well in slightly nervous about it, ive never done anything like this before. Any advice would be totally appreciated :)

View Profile
History
fasting advice
Posted : 5 Jan, 2014 04:26 PM

Most fasts in the Bible were for one day however some lasted 3 to 6 days. A Fast is abstaining from food (not liquid) from sunrise to sunset. It will draw you closer to God. I would ask your pastor how long the fasting is. Our church is having th

fasting also as part of a renewal period.

dunravin

View Profile
History
fasting advice
Posted : 5 Jan, 2014 10:39 PM

The major factor in a corporate fast is simply to have a corporate intercessory group. Fasting is a time for some very serious spiritual introspection as well as purposeful function for the people of god and their church family. In that there is also a great opportunity for the devil and his minions to claim his dues and do all that he can to disrupt the function of the fast. Gather as many intercessors as you possibly can into a place and let them, encourage them, to sing and pray.

Lukia

View Profile
History
fasting advice
Posted : 6 Jan, 2014 06:27 AM

Pray for strength before it starts and believe you will make it.

Fasting is many forms though here,since you are fasting as a church, it depends on what you all agree.

I fast very often and I prefer taking a cup of tea in the morning over lunch and evening for three days.I go for the three days without food.Its a good way of getting closer to God.

When you get used to it you will love it.

View Profile
History
fasting advice
Posted : 10 Feb, 2014 10:58 AM

On Atonement we fast 24 hours without food or water. Fasting is a way to strengthen our willpower. If we have the willpower to resist food, then we will be more able to resist sin. Fasting for more than a day means that you should drink only water, and abstain from all forms of nourishment, including juices. If you're new to fasting just try one day first.

When I going through a tough time I fast sometimes. On fasts other than Atonement we are supposed to give our food to the hungry. In any fast we should pray, and not boast that we are fasting.

outdoorswoman26

View Profile
History
fasting advice
Posted : 2 Mar, 2014 07:19 PM

Fasting for a day or two from food is great. It can't hurt to fast for a day. For health reasons, many people choose not to fast from food and that is ok too.

I like to fast from different things when I would like to see something happen from God or when I make a really important decision in my life. I sometimes take a fast from things I really enjoy like desserts or perhaps media or just spend a whole day in prayer to God.

1mountain

View Profile
History
fasting advice
Posted : 30 Jul, 2014 11:19 PM

If you want to know about fasting ask an Orthodox believer. We have fasts lasting sixty days and more. Granted for most people this is just basically a vegan diet (no animal products) or vegetarian, but there are others where we eat and drink nothing at all such as the fast before communion which is from midnight Saturday until after the service Sunday. My personal advice would be to attempt to fast, but not hold it against yourself if you find yourself too weak to continue. In Orthodoxy no fast, except for the pre communion fast is absolutely required to be followed. So go into it with your sights set high, and if you don't make it then don't worry about it, God doesn't require perfection.