Author Thread: Do you think it is possible to have electricity and decent internet in the middle of jungle?
Jeje85

View Profile
History
Do you think it is possible to have electricity and decent internet in the middle of jungle?
Posted : 29 May, 2014 08:45 AM

Dear brother and sisters in Christ,

I have been dreaming about this tree house where I can still get proper electricity and connected to internet in the middle of jungle (literally). Sounds almost surreal, I know...but I trust my God who usually likes to surprise me through many wonderful ways, including this site! :)

This is not just ordinary tree house.

There is a long term project to open an alternative school in the jungle of Borneo for the native tribes (who are mostly practicing animism). We want to reach out these people just the thing that breaks our heart is, most of them don't even know how to read and write! There are some audio bible on progress, but yeah..being able to read and write will also help their cognitive skill to understand bible deeper. With this tree house/school, we hope in the future at least these people can read and write to help them understanding the bible deeper.

So, if anyone of you is electrician or IT guys who wouldn't mind sharing some experiences/information to me, I would really appreciate that.

Also, for you who likes to read books, is there any useful site you can share to me where I can get used books from people or buy books with low prices? (book references: Christian books, any books to help the villagers to write/read; bible comics maybe, science for kids, mathematics, etc.) I am also looking for sites where I can order educative games for kids with low prices.

Thanks so much for taking time reading this. Any inputs or suggestions would be very much appreciated. With your information, you are already participating to spread the Good News about The living truth to those who haven't known God yet.

Greetings from sunny part of the world! :)

God bless,

Jessica

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
History
Do you think it is possible to have electricity and decent internet in the middle of jungle?
Posted : 25 Sep, 2014 07:52 AM

Jessica,

You're looking at 2 challenges.

First, the electricity. A major question is how much you need, driven by what equipment you want to run. I infer you're interested in running some computers and equipment to access the internet. That's a lot less power than typical western uses like refrigeration and pumping water -- the uses that prevent me from going "off the grid". A moderate array of solar panels or a 400 watt wind turbine would handle a couple efficient computers (laptops or tablets) and a router.

Coupling those with some batteries could get you some power or windless or cloudy days. It wouldn't be 24x7 power as we're accustomed to in the US, but should be workable.

I'm no expert on such power sources, but have looked into them some. Hopefully that gives you a bit more idea what to look into in depth.

Second, internet service. Obviously you're not laying cable out there. Obviously, you don't expect cellular service. So you're really looking at satellite internet. That has long been the best option for rural areas of the US. It stinks for situations in which there is high interaction between server and client, but for streaming video it's pretty good. What satellite service would be accessible from Borneo, I don't know. I would be checking for satellite service available in the nearest industrialized countries. These services work on a direct communication between your satellite dish and a geosynchronous satellite. So satellites accessible from the US would not be from Borneo, but those accessible from Malaysia or Indonesia should be. Possibly those available from Australia or the Philippines would be as well.

I hope that is some help.

Daniel

Searchingformyrib

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Mar, 2015 03:02 AM

I know I'm so late in this, I live a group called Missionary Air Fellowship. They run sorry wave and satellite throughout the world. Is all over there. I know they have antennas which are inflated basks and lighter than air balloons. For electricity is the power storage and voltage conversion. You can do slat or bi metal which creates voltage from heat but you'll need to store this part to use.