Author Thread: Virus Attack
Shunammite

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 21 May, 2009 06:33 PM

Virus Attack?

Has anyone else had this experience whereby your computer detects a suspect and shuts down while you are in a chat session using the search functionality of this site?

thanks,

B'Loved

ian777

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 5 Jun, 2009 05:41 AM

Apparently this just happened to Lydia last night while we were IM'ing.

I'm wondering if it's a false positive? The virus checker system sees all the traffic back and forth and it produces a false positive?

What anti-virus are you using?

And Lydia - what anti-virus are you using?

I wonder if there's a common denominator here?

Ian

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 5 Jun, 2009 09:22 AM

Hi,

I am using Avast and Adaware, and I have in fact been infected several times on here with: Guardian Classic- it monitors keystrokes

Spyviper- gives false warning pop ups

Spyware Scrappe- same gets you to buy

another antivirus.

Only Adaware detects and removes these. I scan my computer when I log out of this site. I suggest getting Adaware because you may be infected and you do not know because your program is not detecting it.

Blessings, Lydia

chozen2b

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 6 Jun, 2009 07:57 AM

Yes, I had that happen one day.

atlfan27

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 19 Sep, 2009 11:54 AM

I have Comcast and it rocks? Why they have free McAfee anti virus suite for high speed customers - $120 Value - FREE!!! My scan always comes negative after I scan it. Especially after using this site.

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 15 Oct, 2009 01:33 AM

I won't get into the number of reasons I dislike McAfee and Norton, but if you want a free anti-virus that auto updates and auto scans every day at a time you set go to http://free.avg.com 8+ years and not one virus has made it through. Not one. It's what I install on any client's computer I work on.

JMO,

Tim

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 1 Jan, 2010 05:16 PM

Thanks tcan! I got a virus on my computer last night.. That Antivirus Live faker, but I did get rid of it. The manual removal instructs really worked along with me doing a thorough search in the registry and making sure all traces of it were actually deleted. I'm gonna try this avg you posted about!

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 2 Jan, 2010 12:01 AM

Avast! is another free (for one year) anti-virus that is also very good.

http://www.avast.com

It uses Modules to protect IMing...Files...Networks...Internet and

Malware Bytes is also a good Free malware...spyware program.

http://www.malwarebytes.org

Also check your firewall and keep your OS running efficiently with all the latest update and fixes.

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 2 Jan, 2010 01:12 AM

Thanks Archimedes, I'll pull yoiur link suggestions down too. I did get the malwarebytes and it got rid of the virus, but I still needed to sweep the registry agian to make sure I got rid of everything.

I heard about avast too, so I quess I'll download that too.

Thanks,

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 21 Jan, 2010 08:39 PM

I have spent all day today fixing my computer from a virus I believe I picked up on this site. I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of my computer, so it took a long time.

I got hit with Anti-Virus Live. I was using AVG, which up till now, I thought was catching everything. When strange things were happening on here 2-3 days ago, I switched from AVG to Avira AntiVir Personal (FREE) because it has an Active AntiVirus Guard. This was recommended to me by a friend who works for an internet provider. This provider uses Avira now, but they used to use AVG also.

I tried to remove the Anti-Virus Live by using ComboFix, but it quit on me half way through the process. I don't have those constant pop-ups every few seconds to deal with now. :yay: I am not completely convinced that there are no hidden files lurking. Time will tell.

I just wanted to mention this, so that if something similar happens to you, you can take prompt action.

Spyware Doctor claims to be able to fix this particular virus (malware), but I didn't want to pay for it with my credit card because of breach of security. Hopefully, this fixes it for free.

View Profile
History
Virus Attack
Posted : 14 Jun, 2010 06:30 PM

AVG and Avast used to be great programs, but over the years they have become bloated just like Norton. I don't recommend AVG at all anymore, Avast is still good.

Nowadays I recommend using Comodo Anti Virus (it also has a built in firewall), along with Malwarebytes Anti Malware. They are both from trusted and known companies and don't use too many system resources.

Page : 1 2