Author Thread: Please pray for my fast
Admin

Please pray for my fast
Posted : 1 Mar, 2015 10:07 PM

I been thinkin and prayin on it and I've decided I'm gonna fast from tonight till April 1st. I think this will help with my relationship with GOD. I am really excited about it. Please pray that this time of fasting will bring me closer to GOD and deepen my relationship with Him and I'll get to know Him more.

View Profile
History
Please pray for my fast
Posted : 2 Mar, 2015 08:00 PM

After much prayer and thought I've decided to not fast after all it just won't work but thank you for all your prayers anyways.

View Profile
History
Please pray for my fast
Posted : 6 Mar, 2015 10:54 AM

Hi Jenny,

Have you ever fasted before?

I have learned that when we let God instruct and teach us in all things;he will also guide us in our fasting. God usually sets the time frame in which we fast according to his glory. It is not necessarily how long we fast but how we go about it.

If youve not ever fasted before Id encourage you to start with just a few days. small. Pray about this and perhaps God will start you off with two or three days without food but with plenty of water!

The one thing I learned is this: God does honor our faith in fasting. He honors our committment to wanting spiritual awakening in some area of our life and he honors our willingness to not eat food. We all love to eat and our bodies need food unless God is supernaturally sustaining us

God will break your fast!! You will not be hungry at all until God is ready for you to break it. This has been my experience. This will be your signal to go get a bite to eat.

Jesus said that fasting, like prayer, should be done in private and not for show (Matthew 6:16-18, cf., Matthew 6:5-7)

Be secretive about this. This is between you and God.

Spiritual Preparation

Fasting is a self-sacrifice that makes one humble and more accepting of God's will. Moses fasted for forty days in preparation for receiving the Ten Commandments (Exodus 34:28). Daniel fasted for three weeks before receiving his vision (Daniel 10:2-6). Elijah fasted forty days before speaking with God (1 Kings 19:8). Jesus fasted for forty days in preparation for His temptation by the devil (Matthew 4:1-11, Luke 4:1-13).

In both the Old and New Testaments, fasting is seen as useful for humbling oneself as a sign of commitment or repentance and for increasing faith, especially when accompanied by prayer. Fasting allowed one to be devoted to spiritual matters without distraction from earthly things. However, fasting was not to be considered an end in itself, nor a substitute for obedience to God and doing good deeds (Isaiah 58:3-10).

May the Lord continue to give us all his understanding.

Searchingformyrib

View Profile
History
Please pray for my fast
Posted : 12 Mar, 2015 06:51 AM

I agree and like Blonde's answer. I know many will say differently, I understand Fasting as prong away something in order to be with HIM. How about something else, I don't have a television. I spend the time listening to sermons. It started as a"fast", now I know"faith comes by hearing the word of GOD" and "I'm prospering and being in health because my soul is prospering".

What ever you do, just keep centered on HIM.

1mountain

View Profile
History
Please pray for my fast
Posted : 25 Mar, 2015 01:40 AM

In the Orthodox faith when we are 'fasting' it's not a complete abstention from food for the most of us. However during the 50+ day Lenten fast, the month long Nativity fast, etc. we will abstain from meat primarially. We have certain days during the fast where we are allowed cheese, fish, oil, and other things but most of the days of the fast such animal products are not eaten. I'd suggest trying that rather than a complete abstention from food first. Basically just eat what a vegetarian or vegan eats. Lent is over at Pascha by the way, which is on the twelfth of april this year and is the same celebration as Easter in the western churches but on a different day. God bless your efforts.