Author Thread: Scam Alert
Pinkstrawbs

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 29 Nov, 2015 07:36 AM

Hi ladies,

I'm a newbie and terrified of being scammed. Have you been scammed or almost scammed. What are some warning signs?

CuriousGeorge

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 9 Dec, 2015 10:39 PM

The easiest way to find out is to send them your credit card info. If they spend it then they are scammers.

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 10 Dec, 2015 06:37 AM

Curious, now why didn't I think of that? . . .

Twitwi96

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 11 Dec, 2015 03:20 AM

Hey Pinkstrawbs!

The thing about scammers is that they always give themselves away.

Be it by:

- refusing to videochat with you,

- being too eager to videochat,

- wanting your digits in the first "Hello" message, e.g. "halo, i come frm ___ . Wnt 2 no u betr. my skype id is ____ and whatsapp # is ____ send me yourz pls",

- which leads me to the bad grammar aspect of things: We all have a text language but I mean when meeting someone new (that you probably find yourself attracted to, friendship wise or otherwise) we want to make a good first impression, so if someone sends me a "Wnt 2 no u betr" I immediately assume this person has probably sent this message to 20 different women and did not even put any thought into it. Just my take on it...

- some want to know the specifics of your life from the get go, e.g. where you live (city, street address), when you were born, your real name, who you are related to (as if they would even know them), your favorite numbers (I find this one kinda strange), if you are on any other sites, etc.

- then there's the obvious outbursts of "I love you", "Will you marry me?", "When can we be together?", all very aggressive behaviour in your first communications. At first I would think mmhm maybe this person is just too eager...BUT NOPE...once you refuse their advances they either block you or become super angry, or something like that.

There's more stuff to look out for but for now, this is all I can think of...but I must say, not every single person who displays some/one of these traits is a scammer. Someone who refuses to videochat may just be an extra careful person, or self-concious, or has been through it before many times before and has been disappointed in the end.

I hope this helps! As you can tell, I've seen a lot!

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 2 Jan, 2016 09:45 PM

@Dkj255 I definitely agree with your post. I don't have anything like Facebook and I'm not about to start. If someone thinks I'm a scammer because I don't have anything like Facebook and struggle with spelling and grammar it's their loss not mine. I have not been in a relationship all my life and I can certainly wait longer.

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 2 Jan, 2016 09:46 PM

@Dkj255 I definitely agree with your post. I don't have anything like Facebook and I'm not about to start. If someone thinks I'm a scammer because I don't have anything like Facebook and struggle with spelling and grammar it's their loss not mine. I have not been in a relationship all my life and I can certainly wait longer.

hubbarddebra99

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 21 Jan, 2016 02:01 PM

I'm in a very nice relationship with someone as "old school" as I am. I susjested old fashion LETTERS, and he went for it!

So... for older members, (we are over 50) that may be a good thing!

HoosierHomeschooler

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 20 Feb, 2016 11:19 AM

Regarding the grammar, there's backwoods grammar ... and then there's "Google just translated this for me" grammar. Beware of the latter.

Beware of flattery. Respect and compliments are good. But if this person is sure you're the one ... after the 2nd message ... watch out.

And ... don't send money. Just ... don't.

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 25 May, 2016 02:06 PM

As far as Skype goes, some of us have slow connections that preclude using Skype. I'm plenty tech savvy, but I have a satellite connection with a data cap. Even if I didn't have the data cap, the latency would be a killer.

So, just saying, don't use a lack of skyping as criteria to determine if someone's scamming.

View Profile
History
Scam Alert
Posted : 14 Oct, 2017 06:13 PM

GodsJude... I really enjoy all the posts I've seen, so far, that are yours ... : ) You go, fellow country girl! oh yeah! lol God bless and keep you... and yours... and thanks for the good advice I've seen you share... 'good words'...

Proverbs 25:11

'A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.'

Page : 1 2