Author Thread: How have you made Jesus a part of your dating relationship?
Admin

How have you made Jesus a part of your dating relationship?
Posted : 25 Feb, 2016 04:16 AM

I was married briefly in my 20s ~ met my ex thru a young people's function at church. His parents were missionaries, & his dad was a minister. I thought I'd found the perfect guy! But the only time God was a part of our relationship was church on Sunday & grace over meals. After marriage, that all soon stopped.... After divorce, met a guy; we became serious. But he was Catholic, & I am not. We never went to church, never discussed God or Bible. That relationship ended.

I want Jesus/God/Bible to be an integral part of my relationship with my future partner BEFORE marriage, the foundation established from the beginning of the relationship. Waiting til marriage.... it just will never happen.

I have known the joy of meeting daily for prayer via phone with my sister in law, & the special bond created as a result. I have also experienced the bond created when one studies the Word with others. This kind of bond, this kind of intimacy, is what my heart yearns for with my partner, to have our relationship fully grounded in the Lord before marriage. I truly believe that by doing so, everything else will fall into place as it should.

Ok then! Question: what steps would you take in a dating relationship to achieve this? And, more specifically, given the uniqueness of online dating, how can this be successfully pursued?

Thanks for your input/feedback!

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Mar, 2016 05:11 PM

ask questions, questions on things that are important to you personally and spiritually and see how he answers. the importance of faith in God will show through. faith is practical! look for that.

take care

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 May, 2016 09:15 PM

"what steps would you take in a dating relationship to achieve this? And, more specifically, given the uniqueness of online dating, how can this be successfully pursued?

I think, you can both read the same passage and discuss it later on Skype, in email or on Facebook. You could also record yourself talking about the verse, and then exchange recordings if you can't get online at the same time. There are many ways to do that.

The way to find someone who would do that is by including that in your profile. Say that you are looking for someone who would do Bible study with you and pray with you everyday. If you want something, simply ask. Spell out what you want. Describe it like you just did here. And then only those guys will contact you who are interested in doing that. ;-)

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 May, 2016 12:30 PM

I would agree with the other's comments and simply add that you include Jesus by obeying Him in your personal life and in the way you think about the other person.

I teach my children to think of every person that they might find attractive as their brother/sister in Christ first, all the time. Additionally, it's very difficult, but we must learn to put those hormone-driven passions and desires on the back burner and learn to serve the needs of the other, again, as our brother/sister in Christ. Love will prevent us from doing or saying anything that might cause the other person to stumble.