Author Thread: "Secular" music
Admin

"Secular" music
Posted : 25 May, 2016 01:03 PM

I lived for many years with the impression that I should only listen to Christian music, that is music with lyrics that address Christian ideas or beliefs. I have since changed my opinion and would welcome comments. Here are some quotes from a man I respect that have led me to change my perspective, Francis Schaeffer:

"When I was a teenager I used to be proud of the fact that I didn�t listen to �secular� music. I would tell my friends that I only listened to �Christian� music. The truth is, however, music is neither secular nor Christian�people are. That is to say, people can be Christians not music (although, I would add that music, by nature, is a great good, in virtue of the fact that God created it). Christ calls people, like you and me, to help redeem the culture through living out our faith in the culture."

�I am afraid that as evangelicals, we think that a work of art only has value if we reduce it to a tract.�

�We are not being true to the artist as a man if we consider his art work junk simply because we differ with his outlook on life. Christian schools, Christian parents, and Christian pastors often have turned off young people at just this point. Because the schools, the pastors, and the parents did not make a distinction between technical excellence and content, the whole of much great art has been rejected with scorn and ridicule. Instead, if the artist's technical excellence is high, he is to be praised for this, even if we differ with his world view. Man must be treated fairly as man.�

I have concluded that for me, as long as a piece of music/art does not cause me, or my brother if he is with me, to stumble, I can appreciate the divine nature that exists within the artist who can create works of music/art.

What say you?

View Profile
History
"Secular" music
Posted : 31 Mar, 2017 07:32 PM

While it's true that even a broken clock is correct 2 times a day it's important to remember that the clock is still broken...

Pink floyd was a overwhelmingly new age band to the point of some songs being almost religiously pagan and black sabbath has obvious problems.

View Profile
History
"Secular" music
Posted : 31 Mar, 2017 08:09 PM

The apostle Paul was well-versed in the pagan beliefs of his day as he witnessed at the Areopagus. This allowed him to make a connection with the lost of his time. I specifically mentioned Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath, because they are two of the more popular bands of my age group. I recognize Biblical truth in songs of both bands. Read the lyrics of Dogs from Pink Floyd's Animals album and tell me if you see Biblical truth. Read the lyrics of War Pigs by Black Sabbath for the same purpose.

I am convinced that we are supposed to be culturally aware (in the world) while maintaining our Spirit-filled lives (not of the world). We forsake the former if we only immerse ourselves in "spiritual" music and neglect to understand the truths being presented in "secular" music.

View Profile
History
"Secular" music
Posted : 14 Apr, 2017 03:34 AM

I don't believe that everyone brought up in a Christian household will not be exposed too to secular music because if this is normal, its not really normal. Sometimes, you get to like any type of music, because someone you know or close to you introduce this type of music. But as you grow older, you will learn to be more cautious to not listen to secular music but more on praise and worship songs if you can't sing. But if can't sing, sing anyway for the Lord.

View Profile
History
"Secular" music
Posted : 14 Jun, 2018 04:26 PM

I may get blasted for my opion but here goes. Yes 1st and foremost I love God with all my ❤ . Now answering the question I enjoy listening to Praise songs as well as secular but let me define my love for the secular I am talking about 50's to 70's I love the Motown sound. And I grew up listening to a lot of old country. As God convicts me or I find and artist that I listen to that has compromised either secular or Christian I will stop listening to them. Many years ago I destroyed a very extensive collection of records, 8 tracks, cassettes, 45 rpm's about 400 and 60 albums or lp's. Because well meaning Christians told me that to serve God I had to destroy all that was secular. God never told me to do that. So go with what God is telling you to do, not what others are forcing on you. Only God knows your ❤.

View Profile
History
"Secular" music
Posted : 14 Jun, 2018 04:32 PM

I don't listen much to secular anymore , unless I am tired and needing to clean my house then I will put on upbeat music that hits my adrenalin and allows me to accomplish what I need too while having fun dancing around . One of these days when God blessed me with my husband who will love God with all of his ❤ too. As we are fixing a meal together or folding close we will take a brief interlude to dance to the oldies but goodies😊💝 Yeehaw I can't wait to share those times with him, you just can't get amorous with bringing in the shelves. Or Rock of ages, as Solomon says there is a time for everything . A time to dance etc, etc, etc,

View Profile
History
"Secular" music
Posted : 19 Sep, 2020 08:33 AM

People are usually hypocritical.

Look at ministers who “preach the gospel” and have mega churches like one, Kenneth Copeland 🤣or another who has hush-hush gay fornication, all while pointing fingers out to condem others of the same, When their own actions aren’t even“lily white.” HA! Are these holier than thou types, any better?

Allow this to be ☝🏽 Example.

What for people like ToDD White, whom I so far respect and appreciate..? What for Mr. Bryan “Head” Welch, of Korn?

God places people amongst the lost and the sin-sick because HE realized the “holier than thou types” are too; afraid, critical, offended, pretentious and scared to go out amongst the sinful, unless they stumble too, etc..

Well if you don’t go Out into the world to preach gospel to; captives, convicts, Satanists, atheists, Idolators- How might they ever hear and hopefully receive the message to get saved, delivered, and moreover, Set Free?

God sends messengers of all kinds to plants seeds.

It’s up to GOD to work the rest out with the individual.

Y’know there was one time a lot of well known musicians had one gospel track on a secular record...not everyone, but some did.

(What for this?)

I’m not into a lot of gospel and inspirational music.

I just don’t like it

And Hillsong and Bethel are said to be money hungry and you have to pay royalties just to sing their music- it’s a massive operation..where schemes and scams abound-despite the “Christian” relevances and relations. Research yourself.

People have: different callings, different fruits of the Spirit and ministries GOD both chooses, ordains & allows.

If everyone did the same thing- there’d be less effect.

I’m turned off by Kenneth Copeland types because although he might “look” the part to some: I’m willing to announce He is false to Me.. that’s all I shall say here- without being more controversial than I already am.

As long as there’s an edification of The Risen CHRIST and what HE does with His saving grace as well as True repentance... the message can go forth. I judge ..we all judge...Just be prepared to face judgement . Matthew 7:1 (this speaks of discernment)

Love is the motivation for not judging, as well as for using good judgement.

So discern via God’s help what’s beneficial for you, as well as to help and live neighbors.

BTW: Some of you may be surprised to go to Heaven and see a well known rocker or 3 there. See, We can never be too certain what GOD can do in one’s final earthly moments. GOD is merciful to a repentant ❤️. Those whom think they’re saved, and can judge that person, as if they are the Eternal Judge...critiquing a life GOD knew best of All, is in abject error.

🙏🏽🙂

Page : 1 2