Rio
Posted : 15 Aug, 2016 02:06 PM

Is anyone watching the Olympics?

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Rio
Posted : 15 Aug, 2016 04:28 PM

I'm DVRing the Olympics so I can watch what I want, without all the chit-chat, etc. as I don't have 12+ hours a day to watch television. . . Michael Phelps is a local boy so I just had to follow his 'come back.' Now THERE'S a redemption story!

View Profile
History
Rio
Posted : 15 Aug, 2016 04:56 PM

Yes, Phelps is a phenomenon. Here's a quote from the Guinness Book of World Records website:

"The 31-year-old notched up an incredible five golds and one silver to bring his total medal count to 28 over the course of four Olympics.

"The Baltimore Bullet" has competed in five Olympic Games but did not manage to get among the medals back in 2000 while swimming in Sydney.

Of the 28 medals Phelps has won, 23 are gold. Only 37 countries have taken home more medals."

I don't have DVR, just plain old broadcast tv. My son's actually more interested than me, but I will pay attention during certain events.

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Rio
Posted : 16 Aug, 2016 05:27 AM

We are very proud of Michael, as if we had anything to do with his success. . . . . , He and my son went to the same high school and knew each other.

Which events pique your interest? My daughter was a synchronized swimmer so I am trying to follow those events.

View Profile
History
Rio
Posted : 16 Aug, 2016 07:19 AM

Yes, I think it's human nature to be proud of a local person doing well as if we had anything to do with it.

Lilly King from my hometown in Indiana set an Olympic record in the 100-meter breaststroke. All my friends from back home are posting about her all over facebook.

A local girl where I live now is there too. Courtney Frerichs is a finalist in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, so she's in the local news.

Then the homeschoolers are posting about Gabby Douglas being a homeschooler.

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Rio
Posted : 17 Aug, 2016 06:35 AM

Gabby is amazing! Love the US Women's gymnastics team! . . . The personal interest stories abound on the Olympics. Did you see Husain Bolt's interview, where he stopped the interview in order to be respectful during the National Anthem of the US?

View Profile
History
Rio
Posted : 17 Aug, 2016 07:48 AM

Yes, I saw that on facebook and shared it. He has seemed a bit arrogant from interviews I've seen of him in the past, but he demonstrated real class in that interview.

NRSV1953

View Profile
History
Rio
Posted : 18 Aug, 2016 05:43 AM

I have not been following Husain's Olympics so you'd know better than I but perhaps swagger and arrogance aren't the same thing? . . .

View Profile
History
Rio
Posted : 8 Sep, 2016 01:12 AM

Yes I watched and was on the edge of my seat Whenever Jamaica was competing, im so glad Usain Bolt got the triple triple hes a lovely man I can see why his popularity is world wide.