Author Thread: First date jitters - need conversation
Jtseniors

View Profile
History
First date jitters - need conversation
Posted : 3 Jun, 2017 12:07 AM

I have horrible first date jitters - I can't think of a thing to say! Feel like I need a script to read. If I prepare thoughts they fly out of my memory at first sight! I am 63 years old and have always been a better listener than talker. But afraid I will never have a second date with anyone if I can't sound halfway intelligent on the first date. HELP!

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Jul, 2017 06:19 PM

If we are serious

Serious questions first instead of seduction game

Just write don a serie of intellegent questions in advance and send one of them whenever it fit in the conversation

JamesEG

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jul, 2017 11:28 AM

That's true of many people. But there are some things that can help.

One key is that, ideally, before dating someone you meet on this website, you will develop a friendship by exchanging several messages. From these messages you will learn some (I hope several) common interests. And exchanging these messages may help alleviate some of the nervousness of the first date.

Even if you first contact someone elsewhere (a library, bus, work, school, etc.), you can talk publicly there to learn more about them and their interests before dating them.

Then, when you meet on a date, talking about these common interests (whatever they may be) can be ice breakers. If you make the first date a get-acquainted, just as friends, meeting in a public place rather than a romantic one, that may also help reduce the jitters.

And, as another person replied earlier, asking questions is often a great way to start a conversation. This is especially true if they are open-ended questions that the person needs to answer with sentences or paragraphs rather than just a "yes" or "no." Answers to these questions can often lead to follow-up questions.

The questions can begin with general questions then become more personal as the relationship progresses.

Remember that a first date is not a commitment to marriage. It's an opportunity to get to know each other better to see if there is a the potential for a closer friendship, etc.

I hope this advice helps and pray for God's perfect will for you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Aug, 2017 07:07 AM

perhaps you need to set the scene first, instead of a romantic meal for two why not meet at the local park or fountain where there is a lot of activity going on around you, you then have a platform to converse about that is personal to neither of you but can prompt personal conversation, eg "wow that kid sure is skilled on that skateboard, reminds me of when I was younger and we'd race down the local hill on our cycles ! what fun the joys of youth, so what kind of bike did you have as a child ?", get the picture ? external input prompts safe conversation, pick an enviroment that will help you to connect in a way that is fun and that is not fearful for you, on the subject of fearlessness I would advise against a bunjee jumping date as the conversation can be quite drawn out....

Chioniso

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Sep, 2017 03:53 AM

Thanks for the good advices. Let the will of God be done.