Author Thread: A little discernment here please
Hikerchic

View Profile
History
A little discernment here please
Posted : 10 Feb, 2018 06:33 AM

What would be the attributes of a scammer or predator on a dating sight out side of the obvious stuff. Men can be really good at telling women what they want to hear and we can be very vulnerable too. How do we tell the difference between being told what we want to hear and a man speaking from his heart. On the flip side what should be the top qualities a Christian man would or should present with and how do we tell the difference.

Jjbaldwin82^

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Feb, 2018 09:57 AM

Ask to see his fruit...if he is involved with his church he should have a testimony of what he is doing.

Hikerchic

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Feb, 2018 04:44 PM

Thank you much for your response. Yes I agree..fruit cannot grow from a dead tree. God Bless

1jon310

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Feb, 2018 07:38 PM

If you don't mind I will skip to the question of qualities. The short answer is "Christlikeness."

Personally the qualities that I admire and look for in any close relationship start with Humility, a servants heart and a desire to continue to learn about Jesus and His creation. Male or female I don't think that those first qualities are a bad place to start.

Blessings :)

Hikerchic

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Feb, 2018 03:32 PM

Yes , I completely agree, unfortunately those are things that most scammers or perpetrators are probably aware of and can put on a good show, for a while at any rate. There is a level of transparency that I also believe a believer, male or female, single or married has. It not something that shows weakness or asks for pity, instead it is an expression of love for our brothers and sisters by reflecting Christ's love by exposing our flaws and how Jesus used those flaws to refine us and continues to do so daily.

1jon310

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Feb, 2018 07:41 PM

Agreed. I guess that I have just been on these sites for too long as I have read and sometimes previously the scammer issue adnausium.

Probably the most common thing to identify the scammers is how quickly they want to move off of the site. BUT there are people that want to talk and meet quickly as they feel that they are wasting time getting to know someone over the site.

Scripture tells us that we are to be as innocent as doves but as wise as serpents. Prayer and going with your instincts is the place to start.

I like to ask everyone about their testimony. It helps to get to know a person quickly but it also will expose the scammers pretty quickly as they don't know how to respond to that very well yet.

I like scammers. Whether it be playing the cat and mouse game or enjoying the opportunity to try and share the Gospel with them it is all good.

Blessings

Hikerchic

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Feb, 2018 05:47 PM

Thank you so much for your input, all very good points :)

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Feb, 2018 10:37 AM

time time and time.....

when you look at a painting the first time you perceive it's whole, when you look again you see a little detail after many time looking you might perceive the artists intent each time you learn a little more just like people it takes time and study, do they have particular ways ? scammers like to hide everything, real people if they are being honest are up front will show their humanity and you will discover who they are, scammers will delight in presenting a false image and their breath rarely smells their clothes all neatly pressed their language crafted to impress, if they don't seem quite real it's because they are not, me ? bad breath smelly socks and a grumpy outlook and I promise to insult at least once in a message and to top it off I am merciless when it comes to humour, but then again I am me and unafraid so I can't say I'm average joe bloggs, but I have been successful enough in avoiding scammers, if it looks to good to be true then it probably is to good to be true.... note to self wash socks and don't insult anyone....NAH can't do that where's the fun ? it's definitely not a male female thing, there are probably more female scammers than men...as every woman knows a flick of the hair and a subtle smile will disarm any man...unless they are grumpy cheeky wind up scampsters like myself...in that case...the fun begins....

Hikerchic

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Feb, 2018 06:16 PM

Thanks Otis :) (Note to self grumpy men with stinky socks are real :) . I get what your saying. There is honesty in that because if we are really being real, we all have a stinky, rude side. I think its best to put your best foot forward but a "perfect" man always puts my red flag up.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2018 03:17 AM

Dear Hiker Chic,

I couldn't agree more...

yours sincerely grumpy with extra cheesy feet

Otis

bushfire^

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Mar, 2018 12:05 PM

Discernment is the only spiritual gift that I've found in the Bible that can also be practiced (learn it by learning). God states that meditating on scripture results in person becoming wise and well seasoned (Psalm 1:1-5) . If you're unable to tell a scammer from a potential suitor, meditate on Proverbs 17:4. Only liars listen to deceiving lips. Meditate on it as you go about your day, as you watch news, social media, convesations with neighbors, etc... and see if you don't develop discernment and recognize an email from a scammer the moment you see it.

Page : 1 2