Author Thread: Christ our Righteousness
Admin

Christ our Righteousness
Posted : 9 Jun, 2018 07:41 PM

Paul says in Philippians 3 regarding his religious heritage that he counted it loss.

4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any one else supposes that he has confidence in the flesh, I more:�5� Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; according to the law, a Pharisee;� 6 according to zeal, persecuting the church; according to the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.�

7� But what things were gain to me, these things I have considered loss because of Christ.�

First he says he was circumcised on the eighth day. This was something for every male child in the nation. But other peoples practiced it too. He says further that he was of the people of Israel. He narrows it down further by saying he was of the tribe of Benjamin. He was a Hebrew from a line of Hebrews. Even though paul came from the dispersion, his family line did not Hellenize. They maintained their faithfulness to the laws and culture. Those are things which paul was born into. Now paul talks of his commitment. According to the law he was a Pharisee, considered the most accurate sect in Israel(acts 26:5). In his zeal he persecuted the messianic jews. And as to the righteousness in the law he was blameless. We should not think this strange. We shouldn't water this down as though paul only thought he was blameless. We find the same language used of Zacharias and Elisabeth in luke 1:6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.�

All these things he says "I have counted loss." But in verse 8 he goes further. "but even more, I count everything to be loss because of the superiority of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord." Note there are two contrasts here. In verse 7 he limits the things to his family line and religious heritage and his own practice. In verse 8 he expands it to include every thing. In verse 7 he speaks of the past where he said "I have counted them as loss." But in verse 8 he speaks of it from the present point of view "I am considering every thing as loss."

So it is twofold. If we have any religious heritage or practice, we need to cast it off. Indeed, if there is anything that we substitute for Christ or add to Christ, we need to cast it aside as well.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Christ our Righteousness
Posted : 12 Jun, 2018 04:07 PM

For sure! Cast it off.

Our righteous, if we want to boast about it, looks like filthy rags to God. The only righteousness acceptable to God is Jesus' righteousness because Jesus obeyed God's law perfectly. Jesus lived on earth in perfect obedience to God's commandments. When a sinful person repents because of his sinful disobedience and becomes a true believer in Jesus, Jesus' perfect obedient life and righteousness is transferred to that person. But all the sinful disobedience of that person is transferred to Jesus who died in that wicked person's place. Only those people clothed or covered in Jesus' righteousness are made able to stand in God's presence. SO GREAT A SALVATION! Jesus righteousness in exchange for my filthy disobedience!! Jesus' obedient life makes us holy and his death satisfied God's coming judgement and anger against us.

View Profile
History
Christ our Righteousness
Posted : 12 Jun, 2018 07:37 PM

Philippians 3:9� And I might be found in him, not having my own righteousness, the one out of/from law, but on the contrary, the righteousness through the faithfulness of Christ, the righteousness out of/from God by faith

Yes, littledavid, even the works which we did in righteousness(titus 3:5) do not bring us into that right relationship with the Father, but it is according to His mercy that he saved us. And so Philippians 3:9 bears witness to that as well. It isn't out of any righteousness associated with the law but it is that righteousness which is from the faithfulness of Christ. Christ was obedient, even to the death of the cross(2:8). I believe he is emphasizing that righteousness doesn't come out of any system or code, moral or ceremonial. No one lives up to God's moral standards, even if they do keep some outward rituals. It has to be Christ plus nothing else.

View Profile
History
Christ our Righteousness
Posted : 15 Jun, 2018 07:07 PM

As to Paul's statement regarding confidence in the flesh, the context indicates that this is relying on ones heritage and religious practice. In this context he is specifically talking about the Law.

We might consider these verses.

Galatians 3:3    Are you so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are you now made perfect by the flesh?

6:12  As many as desire to make a display in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ.

6:13  For neither they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh. 

The context of Galatians and Philippians are dealing with the same problem. We may not preach the law and circumcision. But if we make any ritual or outward work a condition of morality or spirituality, we are imposing a law of one sort or another.

Heb 9:10  Which stood only in foods and drinks, and various baptisms, and righteous acts of the flesh, imposed on them until the time of reformation. 

Colossians 2:20   therefore if you died together with Christ from the basic elements of the world, why as living in the world, are you subject to ordinances, 

Col 2:21 Touch not; taste not; handle not; 

View Profile
History
Christ our Righteousness
Posted : 16 Jun, 2018 09:21 AM

**SALVATION IS 100% FREE**

Titus 3:3,4: At one time we too were foolish, disobedient, deceived and enslaved by all kinds of passions and pleasures. We lived in malice and envy, being hated and hating one another. But when the kindness and **LOVE** of God our Savior appeared , He saved us, **NOT BECAUSE OF RIGHTEOUS THINGS WE HAD DONE**, but because of **HIS MERCY**!!

John 1:12,13: To all who received Him, to those who believed in His name, he gave the right to become children of God--children born not of natural descent, **NOR OF A HUMAN DECISION** or a husband's will but, **BORN OF GOD**!!

John 6:37,39,44,65: Jesus says, "**ALL** that the Father gives Me **WILL** come to Me, and whoever comes to Me I will **NEVER** drive away... And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I shall **LOSE NONE** of all that He has given Me, but raise them up at the Last Day.... No one can come to Me **UNLESS** the Father who sent Me **DRAWS HIM**, and I will raise him up at the Last Day!!... No one can come to Me **UNLESS** the Father has **ENABLED THEM**!!"

Ephesians 2:8,9: For it is by **GRACE** you have been saved, through **FAITH**�and this **NOT FROM YOURSELVES**, it is the **GIFT OF GOD**�not by works. So that no one can boast. For we are **GOD'S WORKMANSHIP**, created in Christ Jesus to do **GOOD WORKS**, which God prepared in advance for us to do!

Romans 12:3: For by the **GRACE GIVEN ME** I say to every one of you. Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourselves with sober judgment, in accordance with the **FAITH GOD HAS DISTRIBUTED TO EACH OF YOU**... We have different gifts, according to the **GRACE GIVEN TO EACH OF US**!!

John 15:16: Jesus says, "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit--fruit that will last!!

Romans 9:15,16,18: God says, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion." It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God's mercy...Therefore God has mercy on whom He wants to have mercy, and He hardens whom He wants to harden. {But God's saints still preach God's Word to everyone}

Revelation 17:14: They will wage war against the **LAMB**, but the **LAMB** will triumph over them because He is Lord of lords and King of kings--and with Him will be His **CALLED**, **CHOSEN** and **FAITHFUL** followers!

**AND SO SALVATION IS 100 PERCENT **FREE** but **ETERNAL REWARDS** are 100 percent **EARNED**!!

Ephesians 6:8: Serve wholeheartedly , as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will **REWARD everyone for what ever good he does!

Revelation 22:12 Jesus says, �Behold I am coming soon! My **REWARD is with Me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done!�

Matthew 16:27: Jesus says, �The Son of Man is going to come in His Father's glory with His angels and THEN He will **REWARD each person according to what he has done!�

Luke 11:33,34: Jesus says, "Sell your posessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a **TREASURE** IN HEAVEN** that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your **TREASURE** is, there your **HEART** will be also!"

Luke 14:13,14: Jesus says, "When you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be **BLESSED**. Although they cannot repay you you will be **REPAID AT THE RESURRECTION** of the righteous!"

2 Corinthians 5:9,10: We make it our goal to please Him... for we must all appear before the Judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

1 Corinthians 3:13-15: His work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives , he will receive his **REWARD**. If it is burned up he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

How to Win Heavenly CROWNS:

I Corinthians 9:24-27: Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes in to strict training. They do it to get a **CROWN** that will not last; but we do it to get a **CROWN THAT WILL LAST FOREVER**! Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize!

2 John 1:8: Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be **REWARDED** fully!.

Revelation 3:11: Jesus says, �I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your **CROWN**!�

2 Timothy 4:7,8: I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the **CROWN** of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day�and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for His appearing!

The **CROWN** of Life for those who persevere under trials and persecution:

James 1:12: Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the **CROWN OF LIFE that God has promised to those who love Him!

Revelation 2:10 Jesus says, �Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer... Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the **CROWN OF LIFE**!�

Matthew 5:11,12: Jesus says, �Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your **REWARD** in heaven!�

Hebrews 10:32-36: Remember those earlier days after you had received the Light, when you stood your ground in a great contest in the face of suffering. Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated. You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions. So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly **REWARDED**. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you receive what He has promised!