Author Thread: Testing the popular DO NOT JUDGE error
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Testing the popular DO NOT JUDGE error
Posted : 18 Jun, 2018 10:21 AM

Apparently one of the most oft repeated partial quotes in the Bible comes from the verse containing the popular phrase, "...do not judge...". Matt 7:1. Surprisingly people without faith and even more surprisingly those of faith are quite eager to quote this three word phrase rather than give account for ongoing sin or false belief in their lives. But after reading this verse in context, can anyone see the error of quoting this phrase in defense of a personal sin or false belief? There's a less popular phrase also containing the words of Jesus that goes kinda like this: "...stop making wrong judgments and make right judgments..." --John 7:24. If supposedly, Jesus is against all judging then why, in an adjacent passage, does he say we should judge? It seems pretty clear from these passages, Jesus is against making certain kinds of wrong judgments, not against making right judgements!

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jun, 2018 10:52 AM

I should also mention another problem with the "do not judge" or "judge not" error. For example, when a person wags their finger at another while sternly warning them, "do not judge", they commit a contradictory self-refuting fallacy. This is because accusing someone of judging **is** an act of judgement!

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jun, 2018 08:10 PM

I Corinthians 2:15,16: The person with the Spirit makes judgment about all things, but such a person is not subject to merely human judgments, for who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ!

I Corinthians 5:13: You must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister, but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater, or slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. Do not even eat with such people. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church. Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked person from among you.

I Corinthians 6:1-3: If any of you has a dispute with another, do not dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord's people? Or do you not know that the Lord's people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? Do you not know that you will judge angels ? How much more the things of life!

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Jun, 2018 12:50 PM

2 Timothy 3:16,17; 4:1,2:

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, **REBUKING**, **CORRECTING** and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of His appearing and His Kingdom, I give you this charge: **PREACH THE WORD**; be prepared in season and out of season, **CORRECT**, **REBUKE** and encourage--with great patience and careful instruction!

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Jun, 2018 09:52 AM

Excellent verses explaining Biblical judgement, Prophetic!