Author Thread: Could i be a false christian?
Melissam871

View Profile
History
Could i be a false christian?
Posted : 28 Jul, 2018 01:48 PM

Hi All,

i am looking for some advice as i am deeply concerned i may be a false christian. I believed that i was converted 9 years ago, but i do not feel that i have grown as much as i should have in my faith. I doubt constantly and i beg the lord to help sace me often. I have no doubt he is still looking out for me as he has shown me his love and guidance in my life.

However it worries me how empty and unfulfilled i feel and how although he has given me everything my heart could desire, i am still left yearing something.

I also don't feel i have the zest or love i should have and that most proper christians seem to possess

This makes me feel incredibly guilty and so its not something i feel i can talk to christians i know about for fear of judgement. I am praying about it and trying to read my bible to understand whats going on, but i dont feel i have received an answer yey and so are trying to be patient. I would love any advice and prayers anyone can offer me with.

Thank you in advance :)

Melissa

hismercysurrounding

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Apr, 2019 05:41 PM

Hi, Melissa! I know just what you mean; I often feel the same way, and it's disheartening. The biggest thing that helps me is simply looking to Jesus, knowing that He is the Rock, He pays for sin, and we are to keep seeking Him, repenting, and abiding in Him. It's like Peter on the waves, looking at them instead of Jesus. Yes, we are to examine ourselves and to question why we sin and our motives for things, but sometimes we can over-analyze and worry, instead of fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. The more we do that, the more we (if we're His) should be assured of His love and power to overcome sin. Human feelings are not so much to be trusted. As Luther said: "For feelings come and feelings go, and feelings are deceiving; My warrant is the Word of God, Nought else is worth believing."

My mom recently directed me to Ephesians 6 and said I should memorize it, about taking the whole armor of God to fight against the wiles of the devil. There are other great passages to memorize or dwell on, such as Romans 7, Romans 8, etc.

hismercysurrounding

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Apr, 2019 05:47 PM

P.S. My name is Melissa, too. :)

Also, a book I read that helped me when I was really struggling with doubt is "How Can I Be Sure I Am a Christian?" by Donald S. Whitney

Marcouse

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 May, 2019 04:46 PM

Don't get taken in by the 'zest' Christians show, empty vessels are often loud.

Sounds to me like you are looking to go to the next level which will involve looking solemnly at your life and the people in it.

Try carefully studying Proverbs and then carefully study the Christians around you. Maybe you have grown more than you know. True Christianity is everything but rainbows & sunshine in this life. If you open your eyes wide enough you will see there is little to be positive about in the here & now. However the drive to serve the Lord will take you where you need to go.

Alligator

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jul, 2019 01:44 PM

Melissa - there are many people who do not understand the Bible and many churches do not teach correctly. That is why it is good for you to read several Bibles (old king james, new king james, & get a reference Bible so you can cross-check verses that pertain each other). Next I will tell you how I was saved when I was 53 - and yes, a real Christian has struggles and concerns every day.

Alligator

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jul, 2019 01:50 PM

I grew up in a Methodist church where babies were sprinkled with water to "save them" . That is wrong teaching.

WHAT IT MEANS TO BE “BORN AGAIN”

While he is in Jerusalem for the Passover of 30 C.E., Jesus performs remarkable signs, or miracles. As a result, many people put faith in him. Nicodemus, a Pharisee and a member of the Jewish high court called the Sanhedrin, is impressed. Wanting to learn more, he visits Jesus after dark, probably because he fears that his reputation with the other Jewish leaders will be damaged if he is seen.

“Rabbi,” Nicodemus says, “we know that you have come from God as a teacher, for no one can perform these signs that you perform unless God is with him.” In reply, Jesus tells Nicodemus that in order to enter the Kingdom of God, a person must be “born again.”​—John 3:2, 3.

How, though, can a person be born again? “He cannot enter into the womb of his mother a second time and be born, can he?” Nicodemus asks.​—John 3:4.

No, that is not what being born again means. Jesus explains: “Unless anyone is born from water and spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God.” (John 3:5) When Jesus was baptized and holy spirit descended upon him, he was thus born “from water and spirit.” At that time, there was an accompanying declaration from heaven: “This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved.” (Matthew 3:16, 17) In this way, ALSO.. In Acts 2, after Jesus was crucified, we read ---36 “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah.” 37 When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” 40 With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, “Save yourselves from this corrupt generation.” 41 Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. (this refers to immersion in water, the same way that Christ himself was baptized by John the Baptist). Do this - and also read until you understand about words and repentance and prayer. I believe you will gain confidence in yourself and understand that if you do these things, it weakens Satan's power and you will become a better Christian. God knows that we all make mistakes. Write me if you wish.

KJVonly

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Sep, 2019 07:45 PM

Hi Melissa,

I know many people feel the way you do. My prayers and my thoughts are with you in this time of reflection.

Some things to consider concerning salvation are : Faith In His Word, peace, love for others, New life in actions and attitude, overcoming the world and confirmation by the Holy Spirit. Also there are the fruits of the Spirit which are : love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control

Perhaps I could also offer my testimony?

As a child , I went to church with my grandma mainly and heard the Gospel and considered Jesus as my best friend getting baptized at 11 on the same night as my dad and feeling good about things but I realized that even though I was an only child and talked his ear off , he seemed more like an invisible friend than my Lord and Savior. Perhaps I didn't have the proper concept being a kid and usually put him in my back pocket only to take him out when I needed him as I got older and getting further away from him through sin. I made a lifestyle of sin and around 2011 I had enough of that lifestyle build up until I couldn't look in the mirror any longer and I tell you, the Lord felt mighty real at that moment. He was far from being an invisible friend. Gone was the head knowledge of who the Bible said he was. I viewed him in a different way now. He was real at that moment. I had a heart knowledge of who his is. I knew how much I had sinned against him and needed him to wash me clean . I trusted he could do it and repented in tears . I was never the same since. I freaked out my 9 and 10 year old kids by throwing out my tarot cards ( I had them for the artwork), idols (egyptian cat goddess bastet), scary books, dvd's,, gargoyle book ends, I had new age books by Edgar Cayce...you name it. I didn't stop til I felt my house was "clean" and Jesus would be comfortable to enter it. I had some really sick scary books from Cemetery Dance. It seemed the scarier the movie, the more I liked it. I threw it all out, some stuff was collector items and some were antiques that I paid $300 for. Didn't matter. Garbage now. I think I had 3 full bags by the time it was over. I didn't know the Bible. I pretty much only knew the sunday school stories but I had a hunger for God like you wouldn't believe!! I remember the devil in my thoughts saying to me, "You're going to be so bored now!! you threw out your books you love. Now what will you read??" I remember feeling a bit sad because at that time I was a chain reader like a person chain smokes so I said outloud..."Well, I will read about Jesus and I love history books, so I will start there" The Lord has replaced that garbage I fed on with wonderful books I never would have read otherwise. My life has never been the same since and people tell me they can see peace on my face. It is like the bible passage about the Lord's fragrance being diffused. I have had strangers I have went up to and hugged or when I overheard a public conversation and gave a man a gentle word of encouragement. He proceeded to seek me out after a bit as he was volunteering and had a big smile on his face and said "Thank you" to me. I have seen a sick old man get on the city bus, shaking and weak and get off after the Lord worked through me to encourage him and he got off the bus with a pep in his step and a smile and said,"Thank you ,Shannon for today" and waved. That is the power of God! All glory to Him, Amen! He was saved not long before he died this year. He was jewish and had rejected Jesus all his life and married a believer who prayed like I did for his conversion. Pray without ceasing as Paul says. I have seen prayers answered. Amen!

Loree7

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Mar, 2020 05:20 AM

Melissam871,

Many people have struggled with their faith. I will not alleviate anyone's doubts, because that is the responsibility of the Holy Spirit. I would encourage you to think and respond.

Have I called upon Jesus Christ to save me from my sin? If not, that is the problem. If yes, read on.

John 10:25-30 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.

But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

I and my Father are one."

Do you see where Jesus says that those who believe are in His hand?

Are you the one holding onto Him or He to you?

Who can pluck those from Christ's hand?

If that weren't enough, Jesus adds that they are in God's hands (the Creator, the Almighty, the Sustainer and Giver of Life). He is God.

Romans 8:1-11 describes how those who have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit (all who have received Christ as Savior) are not condemned. "There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus."

The next thing I want to ask is about your church. Do you attend a church which preaches the Bible?

The Bible tells us to bear one another's burdens. Find a godly lady who can mentor you. Try the pastor's wife (I come from a line of them and know that they are there for you). The Bible tell us older women in the faith (not years) to teach (disciple) the younger ones.

Are you reading the Bible to know God or reading for your own answers? Many forget the God is wanting a relationship. He wants you to know Him not just about Him. It is through His Word that we know Him.

WalkNTalk

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jan, 2024 04:19 AM

Even David Wilkerson had moments wondering that.

Bill Graham had a moment of doubt. Then he decided to take it on faith.

John the Baptist had doubt and wondered if there was another.

Thomas had doubt and is called Doubting Thomas.

So we all go through times of doubt.

What do you have confidence in? Consider that!

Page : 1 2 3