Author Thread: Pastor Mark Driscoll claims Jesus made mistakes
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Pastor Mark Driscoll claims Jesus made mistakes
Posted : 10 Sep, 2018 10:40 PM

Driscoll and others presuppose Jesus made human mistakes because, after all, he was human and to err is human. They cite scripture about Jesus “growing in stature and wisdom.” Certainly this text proves Jesus learned things but does it necessarily follow he must have made mistakes? In other words, is making mistakes the ONLY way to learn? Even imperfect people learn certain things sometimes without mistakes. So why must perfect persons learn by making mistakes? Jesus was perfect wasn’t he? And since he ascended into heaven as human, is he still making mistakes? Perhaps his mistakes are heavenly mistakes! Remember what they say: “to err is human”! So Is this what we look forward to in heaven—tripping over streets of gold, getting our facts wrong and generally failing here and there as we learn??

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting Jesus knew exactly how to walk immediately after birth. But I find no reason to believe it’s necessary to presuppose Jesus must have learned by error just because sinful people learn that way.

You might think I’m being silly hosting such a post but I warn you—there are other preachers who insist Jesus not only made mistakes but that he could have sinned as well and probably did! But that’s for another topic.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Sep, 2018 10:50 PM

Lets try this again. I seem to always have trouble with first drafts!!

Driscoll and others presuppose Jesus made human mistakes because, after all, he was human and to err is human. They cite scripture about Jesus “growing in stature and wisdom.” Certainly this text proves Jesus learned things but does it necessarily follow he must have made mistakes? In other words, is making mistakes the ONLY way to learn? But imperfect people learn certain things sometimes without mistakes. So why must perfect persons learn by making mistakes? Jesus was perfect wasn’t he? And since he ascended into heaven as human, is he still making mistakes? Perhaps his mistakes are heavenly mistakes! Remember what they say: “to err is human”! So Is this what we look forward to in heaven—tripping over streets of gold, getting our facts wrong and generally failing here and there as we learn?? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting Jesus knew exactly how to walk immediately after birth. But I find no reason to believe it’s necessary to presuppose Jesus must have learned by error just because sinful people learn that way.

You might think I’m being silly hosting such a post but I warn you—there are other preachers who insist Jesus not only made mistakes but that he could have sinned as well and probably did! But that’s another topic.

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Sep, 2018 09:45 AM

Hebrews 4:14-16: Since we have a High Priest who has ascended into heaven. Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a High Priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have One who has been **TEMPTED** in every way, just as we are--**YET WITHOUT SIN**. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need!!

Hebrews 5:20,21: We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God was making His appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made Him **WHO HAD NO SIN** to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.

Titus 2:13: We wait for the **BLESSED HOPE**-- the glorious appearing of our great **GOD** and **SAVIOR**, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to **REDEEM US** from all wickedness and to purify Himself a people that are **HIS VERY OWN**, eager to do what is good!

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Sep, 2018 09:49 AM

I must apologize for the poorly written post. I think I need to run a few practice drafts at home from now on before posting online!!

I want to be clear, I disagree with Driscoll, I don’t believe there’s any evidence to show Jesus ever having made mistakes and Scripture mentions not one. I realize this is an argument from silence but I assure you, the silence is deafening! Even the logic behind the assumption Jesus made mistakes as he grew in wisdom is unsound and unfounded. For example, just because Jesus “grew in wisdom” is hardly proof he made mistakes in the process! In addition, how does a perfect person make mistakes—period?? The assumption is absurd and simply does not follow! Driscoll insists the assumption Jesus made mistakes is not the same as assuming Jesus sinned. He says making a mistake is unlike committing a sin. Driscoll is right to discern the difference between making mistakes and sinning but his point is irrelevant. But someone might argue that Adam and Eve were perfect people yet they made a mistake. No, Adam and Eve did not just make a “mistake”, they sinned by breaking a command of God! The trouble, with asserting the perfection of Adam and Eve into this argument as an objection, is that it ignores the doctrine of Jesus’ impeccably. Adam and Eve were not impeccable—and they proved it.

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Sep, 2018 05:32 PM

Hi David,

The post is clear enough to understand.

Driscoll and others do not understand Messiah, who He is and what He is like.

The health and weathers Copeland, Dollar, Hinn, Haggi, Jakes and the rest belittle Messiah with their UNBELIEF when they call GOD Almighty a loser.

These clowns do not understand that Messiah has 2, not 1, but TWO natures. He has the SINLESS nature of GOD Almighty, and He was born as a man with a SINLESS nature.

Adam passed his SINFUL nature to everyone born of a woman thru his seed, because Adam is a fallen creature.

People born in a petri dish, or other means that are not Biblical also have the sinful nature of Adam passed to them thru the seed a man provides.

Man is born with a SINFUL nature, with the desire for SELF, and sin.

Messiah was placed into the womb of Mary by the HOLY SPIRIT,thus Messiah does not have the sinful nature of man passed thru the seed of man.

Messiah as a MAN learned the same as we do, BUT did not have a CORRUPT mind, He could not think evil because He did not have the natural SINFUL mind that man has.

When people do not understand that Messiah has 2 natures, then they only see Him as a man.

Theses same people then think that Messiah is just as they are.

If Messiah had sinned just once, He would have ceased to be both SINLESS, and GOD the SON.

If He ceases to be both, then all of creation would cease to exist, as He holds all things together by the Word of His power.

Without me you are nothing.

All things were made by Him, for Him and His good pleasure.

If Messiah had sinned, then the TRIUNE GODHEAD would not exist because Messiah would be found to also be a liar.

I and my FATHER are one.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Sep, 2018 10:33 AM

Exactly, false doctrine is tricky business.

Some of my friends think the Messiah was able to sin just because he was led into the wilderness to be tempted by Satan. Otherwise, they reason, the temptation of Jesus doesn’t make since if he could not sin. But this thinking is misguided. First of all, my friends are connecting invisible dots by inserting their preconceived notions between temptation and the ability to sin! This weak argument seems to be based on the uniformity of human experience. Although the Messiah experienced the powerful pull of temptation with us as a man, he never sinned because he could not sin.

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Sep, 2018 02:57 PM

Messiah could not sinn because He did not have a SINFUL nature.

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Sep, 2018 06:29 PM

**JESUS COULD NOT SIN BECAUSE JESUS IS OUR GREAT GOD AND SAVIOR**

John 20:27-29: Then He said to Thomas, "Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe!" Thomas said to him, "My Lord and **MY GOD**!" Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen Me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed!"

Isaiah 9:6: For unto us a Child is born, to us a Son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor and **MIGHTY GOD**!

Isaiah 7:14: The Lord Himself will give you a sign. The virgin will conceive and give birth to a Son, and will call Him **IMMANUEL**! {Which means **GOD WITH US**!}

Matthew 1:20-23: The angel of the Lord said to Joseph, "Take Mary home as your wife because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She is to give birth to a Son, and you are to give Him the name Jesus which means **GOD IS HELP**, because He will save His people from their sins. All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet {Isaiah 7:14 above} "The virgin will conceive and give birth to a Son, and they will cal Him **IMMANUEL** which means **GOD WITH US**!

John 1:18: No one has ever seen God, but the One and only Son, who is **HIMSELF GOD** and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made Him known!

John 14:6,7: Jesus says, "I am the **WAY** the **TRUTH** and the **LIFE**. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you really knew Me, you will know the Father as well. From now on, you do know Him and have **SEEN HIM**!"

**GOD'S WORD COMMANDS THAT WE SHOULD ONLY WORSHIP GOD**!!

Matthew 4:9,10: Satan said to Jesus, "All this I will give you if you bow down and worship me." Jesus said to him, Away from Me Satan! For it is written, '**WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD** and serve Him only!

Revelation 19:9,10: The angel said to me, "Write this: **BLESSED** are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the **LAMB**!" And he added, "These are the true words of God!" At this I fell at his feet to **WORSHIP** him, But he said to me, "Don't do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your brothers and sisters who hold to the testimony of Jesus! **WORSHIP GOD**! For it is the spirit of prophecy who bears testimony to Jesus!"

Revelation 22:8,9: I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. But he said to me, "**DON'T DO THAT** A am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who **KEEP THE WORDS** of this scroll. **WORSHIP GOD**!!

Hebrews 1:6,8: When God brings His firstborn into the world He says, "Let all God's angels **WORSHIP HIM**.... About the Son He says, "Your throne, **O GOD**, will last for ever and ever, a scepter of justice will be the scepter of **YOUR KINGDOM**!"

Matthew 28:18-20: Jesus says, "**ALL AUTHORITY**in heaven and on earth has been given to **ME**. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always!"

**JESUS CHRIST, OUR GREAT GOD AND SAVIOR**

Jesus is **WORSHIPED** many times in God's Word in Matthew 2:2,8,11; 14:33; 28:9,17 Luke 24:52 John 9:38 and Revelation 5:14 and !5:4!!

Matthew 2:10,11: When the Wise Men saw the star, they were overjoyed. On coming to the house, they saw the Child with His mother Mary, and they bowed down and **WORSHIPED HIM**!

Matthew 14:33; Then those who were in the boat **WORSHPED HIM**!!

Matthew 28:8,9: So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell His disciples. Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," He said. They came to Him, clasped His feet and **WORSHIPED HIM**!

Matthew 28:16,17: Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When the saw Him, they **WORSHIPED HIM**!

There are some who completely ignore these Scriptures and claim that Jesus is not God because he said that the Father is greater than me in John 14:28 and that the Father told Him what to say as per John 14:23,24: Jesus says, "Anyone who loves Me will obey My teaching. My Father will love them, and We will come to them and make our home with them. Anyone who does not love Me will not obey My teaching.

John 9:37,38: Jesus said, "You have now seen Him; in fact, He is the one speaking with you!" Then the man said, "Lord, I believe," and he **WORSHIPED HIM**!

NOTE: Jesus is called the **LAMB** 30 times in the book of Revelation!

Revelation 5:13,14: Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, an all that is In them, saying "To Him who sits on the throne and to the **LAMB** be praise and honor and glory and power for ever and ever!" The 4 living creatures said, "Amen," and the elders fell down and **WORSHIPED**!

Revelation 17:14; They will wage war against the **LAMB**, but the **LAMB** will overcome them because He is **LORD** of lords and King of kings--and with Him will be **HIS** **CALLED**, *CHOSEN** and **FAITHFUL** followers!!

Titus 2:13,14: We wait for the **BLESSED HOPE**--the glorious appearing of our **GREAT GOD AND SAVIOR**, Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify a people that are **HIS VERY OWN**, eager to do what is good!!

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Sep, 2018 07:07 PM

YEP!!!

If Jesus can, could, would sin then God really can, could, would lie but Titus 1:2 says “God can’t lie.” And if Jesus can, could, would sin, then scripture can, could, would likewise be broken but John 10:35 says “scripture cannot be broken”.

People who profess to believe in God need to be more diligent about assuming a consistent interpretation of God’s Truth

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Sep, 2018 08:30 PM

I intended that last paragraph for those who think Jesus could sin

DEFENDTHEFAITH

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Sep, 2018 04:31 PM

Can you site where Mark Driscoll made this claim? I would really like to know. I have issues with his cussing when explaining things and then also being to vulgar/graphic when talking about sex.

Page : 1 2