Author Thread: Pastor Mark Driscoll claims Jesus made mistakes
LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Pastor Mark Driscoll claims Jesus made mistakes
Posted : 10 Sep, 2018 10:40 PM

Driscoll and others presuppose Jesus made human mistakes because, after all, he was human and to err is human. They cite scripture about Jesus “growing in stature and wisdom.” Certainly this text proves Jesus learned things but does it necessarily follow he must have made mistakes? In other words, is making mistakes the ONLY way to learn? Even imperfect people learn certain things sometimes without mistakes. So why must perfect persons learn by making mistakes? Jesus was perfect wasn’t he? And since he ascended into heaven as human, is he still making mistakes? Perhaps his mistakes are heavenly mistakes! Remember what they say: “to err is human”! So Is this what we look forward to in heaven—tripping over streets of gold, getting our facts wrong and generally failing here and there as we learn??

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting Jesus knew exactly how to walk immediately after birth. But I find no reason to believe it’s necessary to presuppose Jesus must have learned by error just because sinful people learn that way.

You might think I’m being silly hosting such a post but I warn you—there are other preachers who insist Jesus not only made mistakes but that he could have sinned as well and probably did! But that’s for another topic.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Pastor Mark Driscoll claims Jesus made mistakes
Posted : 23 Sep, 2018 09:18 PM

Yes, I searched under “Jesus mistakes” and Discoll’s sermon came up along with blogs that agreed and very few that disagreed.

The fallacious logic used by both scholar’s of the “mistaken” Jesus and scholar-wannabes goes sorta like this:

All humans err

Jesus was human

Therefore Jesus erred.

The failure of the above syllogism begins in its first premise, “ALL humans err”. The premise simply asserts the universal affirmative (all) without justification. Is it true all humans everywhere err? Do perfect humans err? So the premise is merely assumed and unproven. The second premise ignores Jesus’ perfection and his divinity. Jesus is not just plain human. And of course the conclusion is wrong because it’s based on faulty premises.

Page : 1 2