Author Thread: Not taking the last name of your spouse.
Admin

Not taking the last name of your spouse.
Posted : 27 Nov, 2018 07:42 AM

As far as I know nowhere in the Bible does is say a wife has to take her husband last name. I also seen people exchanging there middle names with there spouse last name or combining the two last names to make a new one. I also seen a few stories ware the man take the woman's last name.

Anyway what's your take on this topic?

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Nov, 2018 09:13 AM

It's traditional to take your husbands surname and it's a tradition that I like, I know women who kept their surname, and some who put a hyphen, between the two names. I've had my surname for nearly 50 years, I wouldn't mind a change lol

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Dec, 2018 01:08 AM

Couldn't care less either way.

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Dec, 2018 05:29 PM

That is sort of my view point. I do know however it can cause some problems once kids get involved and they don't share your last name.

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Dec, 2018 07:08 AM

Other than being anti-scriptural it causes OOODLES of confusion when it comes to paperwork.... and that's just taxes.

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Dec, 2018 12:18 PM

Nothing in scriptur says the woman has to take the mans last name.

Prove me wrong.

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Dec, 2018 02:33 PM

The earliest version (that I can think of) is the woman leaves her fathers tent to go live in the tent of the new husbands mother. The modern version (since almost no one lives communally anymore) is her father giving her away, shifting her from his authority directly to the authority of her husband. She casts off the name of her father (not her last name since she traditionally does not actually have one per se) and takes on the name of her husband.

Also how exactly does "two become one" if they have different last names or any kind of separate identities in any way? Taking a historical approach this has generally been the way it's always been globally for most of history.... this tendency of "independence" is a aberration that will fall by the wayside the same way it has done every time it has been tried anywhere if nothing else simply because it is unsustainable in the long term both for specific relationships and broadly for society.... it's a sign of decadence.

A later example is Josef and Mary, they went to HIS home town because she was assuming HIS name not having one of her own. Paul later actually admonishes woman to not act independently of their husbands and specifically not to follow the teachings of other men which if you think about it would be a form of adultery.... one reason feminists hate him posthumously. In many ways the extended family sharing the last name of the patriarch is a sign that they are under his authority, a way to legally group them under him.

Lastly Eve was not made independently from Adam, she was made FROM him and thus if there were last names at that point she would have automatically had his by default. Her one act of independence was enough to ruin paradise funny enough. Original sin was not Eve directly disobeying God but believing that she knew better than Adam and following the teachings of another male, that kind of shifting of authority in the belief that it's a better idea has been the root of all later rebellion and suffering.

A house cannot stand divided, even something as symbolic as different last names is enough to divide it badly because it broadcasts to the world that the two oxen are unequally yoked and that kind of advertisement ALWAYS has results both internally and externally.

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Dec, 2018 02:38 PM

I have to reiterate that if you want a specific verse about "last names" or even a direct verse concerning separate female legal standing you probably wont find it since both are very very modern ways of thinking with last names specifically being maybe less than 500 years old and "woman's rights" at most being 150 years old I think. People are so used to the status quo they forget how freakishly new many modern ways of thinking are.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Dec, 2018 07:54 PM

sounds like your spiting hairs

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Dec, 2018 05:46 AM

I was being thorough, taking in all angles I could think of. Splitting hairs is not only being too thorough but confusing facts for the sake of "winning", I'm more concerned with being on the right track than seeming right for the sake of ego.

The moment you tie in being right with ego is the moment you are a stumbling block instead of a help. Glory generally comes in Heaven not on earth.

John 3:30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

Pride is a constant danger to all living.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jan, 2019 01:43 PM

Those things are just Personal Choices. I don't think it is wrong if a woman keeps her own last name. Keeping one's Vows is what's important.

So many divorced even amongst Christians.

Page : 1 2