Author Thread: Can differences in christians allow for a successful marriage?
Melissam871

View Profile
History
Can differences in christians allow for a successful marriage?
Posted : 18 Feb, 2019 11:23 PM

I have been friends with a guy for a couple of years now and he has always expressed a desire to marry me. I also like him, but I worry it would not work as we are very different in our spiritual maturity. He is very close to God and comes across as what I would call a strong Christian. I am on g e opposite end of the scale in. That I am struggling to identify if I am even am a christian having doubted for a while that I could be not saved. Even after I expressed this he keeps saying it doesn't matter and that he believes I have good potential and that its OK because the desire is there. I don't believe it is a good idea as I worry incase I led him astray. Any thoughts would be appreciated! I am praying about it, so just waiting to try and hope God gives me the wisdom to discern what to do.

Melissam871

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Feb, 2019 11:26 PM

Sorry, forgot to add that we are also very different in our worship styles and I am not comfy with his and he wouldn't go near mine. Should I see this as a red flag?

Chioniso

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2019 04:01 AM

I think since you are both christians and born again you should sit down and discuss which side to go. One of you should be able to give in and join the other. We are all God workmanship created in Christ Jesus to do good work. After marriage you cannot go on attending different christianity. May the Lord give you wisdom and devine direction.

Chioniso

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2019 04:25 AM

I think for marriage you cannot find a partner who can meet what you want 100% or vice versa. Each one of you should be able to give in and at least meet 50%. Keep your christian values and respect for each other.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Feb, 2019 04:54 PM

If you're in doubt then don't marry. No need to rush. Marriage is a lifetime commitment so u have to be ready before you jump into it. You're still young. You still have a lot of years to live and enjoy life. As for the difference in spiritual maturity, it doesn't matter as long as both of you are believers. You'll mature in your faith eventually. You won't lead anyone astray unless he allows it. On the other side of the coin, he can lead you closer to God if you allow it. As for the way you worship, one cannot impose on anyone to worship in a certain way. But everything can be learned in time. All both of you can do is to make a compromise on how you both want to worship. The ideal thing though is for the both of you to attend the same church and worship together as one. Marry when you're ready. God will give you the wisdom to know when. Good luck.

TRUUST

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Feb, 2019 06:17 PM

dear sister DON'T allow the Devel to deceive u that you're not being saved...our fight REMEMBER IT IS IN HAVEN....!!!!!!!!I THINK IT'S A PRIVILEGE TO HAVE THIS STRONG CHRISTIAN AS A BOYFRIEND AND HUSBAND!!!AND NOW..THE DEVEL AND CHRIST TRY TO HAVE YOU CLOSED ,ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE WHICH SIDE TO...TAKE...

YOU KNOW THERE IS NO THIRD DIRECTION....

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Mar, 2019 08:38 PM

You are definitely going about it the right way by seeking God in prayer for an answer. You not wanting to lead the man astray shows you really do care for him. Rarely do two people by on the same Spiritual level, even when we are saved. Just because we may not feel saved, doesn't mean we aren't. We are saved by FAiTH. Believing in Jesus as our savior. I think a couple can have a good relationship, even if they are in different levels if Spiritually. Just pray together when married.

Alligator

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Mar, 2019 11:14 AM

I do not see anywhere that Melissa says she is a born again Christian. more stating towards that she doubts she could be saved. If she was born again" there would be no doubt in her. And she also says neither is willing to go near the other persons worship. WE dont have to know what their religions are but there is obviously a big difference. I think both she and boyfriend need to sit down and discuss honestly what it is about the other person faith they agree with and what they are not willing to change their mind on. I have a relative and also a friend who eventually divorced over their differences in church and religion. Please talk it over honestly and go from there.

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Aug, 2019 05:14 AM

If you are continuously struggling to trust that you are a true Christian then it's worth asking yourself if you really are because though genuine believers occasionally have their faith tested and feel weak in their faith - it should bounce back after repentance and the fruit of the spirit is peace and a sound mind to name just two. If you are unsaved then your boyfriends should discern this unless he isn't saved either. If you are uncertain if he is the one then he isn't the one. Once you are married before God then he becomes the one and you can never divorce except for adultery (unless you forgive and accept it) or death. Seek wise counsel and keep praying. He doesn't sound as Christian as you make out he is if he's missing what you have shared with us