Author Thread: Spanking is a euphemism for hitting
seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Spanking is a euphemism for hitting
Posted : 14 Aug, 2019 05:19 PM

"Corporal punishment is the commonest form of violence which children suffer, in all regions. And there are many perspectives from which to condemn it. The imperative for prohibiting and eliminating it is children’s equal human right to full respect for their dignity and physical integrity and to equal protection under the law.

Sometimes it seems that dwelling on other perspectives, other arguments, can actually undermine acceptance of the immediate human rights imperative for action. We don’t look for proof that domestic violence against women damages their physical or mental health in order to justify prohibiting it and ending impunity. It would be insulting to women to do so, and it is equally insulting to children to suggest we have to prove harm in order to justify extending to them the legal protection that we as adults take for granted from being deliberately assaulted."

- Peter Newell

Ending all forms of hitting children is important... Don't give allowance to physical abuse based on age. Advocate and inform of children’s equal human right to full respect for their dignity and physical integrity and to equal protection under the law. Spanking is a euphemism for hitting, it inevitably condones sexual harassment and disrespectfulness (Excerpt from P.Newell).

Recognize the risks:

• Emotional risks: depression, low self esteem, anger, lack of resilience, little self control.

• Learning risks: lower IQ, stress, anger, resentment, or fear of authority. • Physical risks: injuries, broken bones, even brain damage.

• Societal risks: poorly educated, angry, pent up young people causing harm to themselves, other children, adults, their relatives, or at schools.

To end child abuse, we need to stop 'spanking' (physically abusing) children! Rather than being based on brain research or child development studies, hitting/paddling/spanking is based on "cultural holdovers";

• Adults may have the misconception: “I was spanked. I’m OK.” Fundamental religious belief: “It’s God’s loving discipline.” * Spanking and paddling send harmful and costly messages.

•Normal childhood behavior issues are often judged as rebellious, shameful and bad.

• Our States are being robbed of needed money by paying for the high cost of child abuse in all its ramifications.

• States spent $20 billion on child Welfare Services in 2000. Less violence against children will reduce this figure enormously according to the Urban Institute.

• The US spent $2 trillion in 2011 on all health care costs...$1 trillion for violence-related healthcare costs.

• Lawsuits from parents trying to protect their children take valuable money and energy from education.

• No evidence exists that paddling improves student behavior. The opposite is true. We all want to end child abuse.New ways of raising responsible, strong, loving children are replacing hitting

• The most heinous things done to children are now illegal, but 85% of these abuses began with spanking and progressed from there.

• In the US, 33 states have abolished paddling in schools, and in the other 19 states, many individual districts have stopped it.

• Today many tested alternatives exist that teach self-responsibility and skills at making better choices. Therefore to end child abuse, we must stop all hitting of children.

For research and links to studies and for resources on modern parenting: US Alliance to End the Hitting of Children: www.endhittingusa.org Report Abuse: www.hennepin.us/residents/human-services/child-protection-services 612-348-3552 www.co.wright.mn.us/383/Child-Protection 763-682-7400 www.anokacounty.us/632/Child-Protection-Child-Abuse 763-422-7125 If the child is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1 or your local police department.

I know many feel this topic is unrelated to being pro life and Christian, but corporal punishment against children inevitably causes people to associate pain with punishment. Some struggles however bring us benefit and are certainly worth all of our effort. That being said individuals brought up with being hit even in the so called form of "spanking." are repeatedly given experiences that trigger an unhealthy emotional response to pain, especially since the people we are supposed to rely on were basically betraying our trust. I'm wondering how many people agree with these associations especially when we consider the pain in giving birth. How many more people may have been Pro Life if only they had been given a childhood free from intentional harm against their bodily autonomy? I actually spoke with an abortion supporter who was opposed to adoption simply because the child could end up in a household that would betray them with corporal punishment, that conversation inspired the continuation of this petition. I assured the woman that currently at least adopted children are mostly protected against corporal punishment. I just want america to wake up and give children as much bodily autonomy as an adult like in Israel. I understand there are times we may need to intervene, but a gentle block or a hold should be sufficient instead of the traditional excessive force. Pro Life should also be about giving quality of life anywhere possible. When someone strikes at us we are to turn the other cheek, we are not advised under the new covenant to be the one to inflict any sort of hitting or violence.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Aug, 2019 10:12 AM

There are already laws in place to protect children from abuse,

no one is advocating for the abuse of children, but we can't have it both ways, we can't complain about children being lawless, when we've gone out of our way to create laws that prevent their parents from disciplining them.

seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Aug, 2019 05:07 PM

there are so many alternative disciplines. Do you really think your child won't copy "spanking" on another child if that is what is happening to him or her? Children need to know that their rear end is their private area. I have never spanked my son and he already knows not to go into the street. He already knows the stove is hot, without getting a burn. He has known these things since he was about 18 months old.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Aug, 2019 08:56 AM

I agree there are many ways to discipline a child, but I believe it should be the parents decision.

seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Aug, 2019 01:57 AM

If all parents were respectful to their children in an ideal world such decisions could be left to them. I was not so blessed in this regard, to have parents gifted in self control. One of the main focuses is when parents are targeting the child's private area including the rear end. I grew up with excessively forceful hits to my rear end that left marks, I was too ashamed to report to CPS and show what had happened to me because of the location. If this is done to an adult it is considered sexual harassment; this is too much contradiction. I often had hand prints and lasting redness and pain. I also had a lashing that resulted in a welt that was as wide as my body raised 1/4 of an inch and 1/4 thick. I ran away temporarily after that which put me at high risk for being kidnapped. I tried to relate about how we are treated as children shape our decision making abilities. People with mental health issues often have long lasting or permanent judgement impairment. I can remember feeling as though I was living in a cloud of confusion and fear for most of my childhood. The cloud didn't start to lift until I underwent counseling. I continue to suffer lower back problems from the repeated trauma to the tail bone area. I can't help but feel "set up" for physically abusive relationships. Many women who abort are involved in abusive relationships. There are so many alternatives to corporal punishment, I have children now and I will not put them through what I have been through. Pro Life should also be about giving quality of life anywhere possible.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Aug, 2019 07:34 PM

The abuse you received as a child is very sad and tragic. This happens all too often. You received abuse not discipline.

You mentioned the benefits of living in a perfect world where no spanking is necessary. I agree, that would be wonderful.

Unfortunately, we live in an imperfect world the cane after the fall of man. Now we have sinners bringing in more little sinners to the world.

The Bible says in Proverbs 22:15,

“Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him.”

Sadly and very tragically, too many parents resort to hitting abuses or even verbal abuses instead of biblical discipline.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Aug, 2019 07:36 PM

Should have read: “that resulted after the fall” not “cane...”

seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Aug, 2019 01:05 AM

Have you ever worked with sheep? The rod of correction will block the entrance when needed, Striking even one sheep scatters the whole flock. Just having The Voice of The Good Shepard is sufficient by reading Scriptures. If you even show one sheep the food in the bucket the rest fall in line in obedience: They are close knit woolies! Just let children know what laws they are breaking. We do mostly time outs or no dessert or losing toys.

seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Aug, 2019 01:19 AM

we are in the new covenant not the old covenant we are not to hit any

person at any age. The "rod" actually symbolizes a Shepherds hook..

Not something to strike the child. The rod is supposed to bring the

sheep back in with gentle guidance, not to hit them with it. i have

travelled this path and know the difference between right and wrong i

was a child and have helped as a nanny and at two orphanages, there

was never any circumstance where i needed to resort to hypocrisy in

order to share how to be respectful to one another. im glad you do

not condone it. i report people to child protection whenever i see a

child being struck in public or see people post online that they hit.

i dont walk the same as others because of lower back and hip problems

to this day. they have found that children who are hit or spanked

have less brain capacity to work with in the areas of social beahavior

and forsight. the proverbs that you quoted from were not directed

from YHVH, it was a saying of solomon who forsook the wisdom and

worshipped false idols. i was both spanked and beaten as a child

while being half stripped sometimes even publically and i would have

been glad to have an option of being relocated. the parents should

have to take anger management and parenting classes and if they do not

comply then the child would have the option to be adopted. in israel

it is already illegal they have better translations of The Old

testament. vengeance belongs to YHVH and YHVH will repay. it has been

determined that fallible humans are unworthy to punish physically:

"let he who is without sin cast the first stone" JESUS was present

and without sin and even HE who had the authority to punish her

refrained. i can send you more scripture if you would like that

supports no hitting or spanking "do unto others as you would have them

do unto you" i dont want to ever be hit again and when i see other

parents hitting i get flashbacks of my childhood. it is also written

not to vex the children. i can send you these scriptures sometime.

it can prevent wars and violence. the Truth is our highest defense,

quoting Scriptures like 3:14 in The book of Luke to children is

helpful, because if we were in the old testament early covenant we see

that eye for an eye was once allowed, so the only way someone would strike

another person would be if they had first struck. "Ye have heard that

it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: 39But I

say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee

on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if any man will

sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke

also. 41And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him

twain. 42Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow

of thee turn not thou away." excerpt from Matthew 5 even in The Old

testament YHVH corrects the israelites repeatedly reminding them of

thier fallible unworthy state of being that should not exalt

themselves to the level of hitting others or even executing. if you

want to help others to know not to hit or spank then dont hit them,

be an example rather than doing what you would not want them to do.

here is yet anotherexample of what improvements we see in The New

Covanent: http://biblehub.com/proverbs/26-3.htm

http://biblehub.com/matthew/5-22.htm hope i havent offended you

-peace

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Sep, 2019 09:09 PM

spare the rod spoil the child...

if You ask a shepherd they will explain the rod is a tool of inspection,like a comb, the staff is for thumping on things,wolves,lions,large birds,and other things that annoy shepherds and shepherdess

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Oct, 2019 07:44 PM

Are you still checking in on your threat. I have more to add, if you’re still around

Page : 1 2