Author Thread: Spanking is a euphemism for hitting
seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Spanking is a euphemism for hitting
Posted : 14 Aug, 2019 05:19 PM

"Corporal punishment is the commonest form of violence which children suffer, in all regions. And there are many perspectives from which to condemn it. The imperative for prohibiting and eliminating it is children’s equal human right to full respect for their dignity and physical integrity and to equal protection under the law.

Sometimes it seems that dwelling on other perspectives, other arguments, can actually undermine acceptance of the immediate human rights imperative for action. We don’t look for proof that domestic violence against women damages their physical or mental health in order to justify prohibiting it and ending impunity. It would be insulting to women to do so, and it is equally insulting to children to suggest we have to prove harm in order to justify extending to them the legal protection that we as adults take for granted from being deliberately assaulted."

- Peter Newell

Ending all forms of hitting children is important... Don't give allowance to physical abuse based on age. Advocate and inform of children’s equal human right to full respect for their dignity and physical integrity and to equal protection under the law. Spanking is a euphemism for hitting, it inevitably condones sexual harassment and disrespectfulness (Excerpt from P.Newell).

Recognize the risks:

• Emotional risks: depression, low self esteem, anger, lack of resilience, little self control.

• Learning risks: lower IQ, stress, anger, resentment, or fear of authority. • Physical risks: injuries, broken bones, even brain damage.

• Societal risks: poorly educated, angry, pent up young people causing harm to themselves, other children, adults, their relatives, or at schools.

To end child abuse, we need to stop 'spanking' (physically abusing) children! Rather than being based on brain research or child development studies, hitting/paddling/spanking is based on "cultural holdovers";

• Adults may have the misconception: “I was spanked. I’m OK.” Fundamental religious belief: “It’s God’s loving discipline.” * Spanking and paddling send harmful and costly messages.

•Normal childhood behavior issues are often judged as rebellious, shameful and bad.

• Our States are being robbed of needed money by paying for the high cost of child abuse in all its ramifications.

• States spent $20 billion on child Welfare Services in 2000. Less violence against children will reduce this figure enormously according to the Urban Institute.

• The US spent $2 trillion in 2011 on all health care costs...$1 trillion for violence-related healthcare costs.

• Lawsuits from parents trying to protect their children take valuable money and energy from education.

• No evidence exists that paddling improves student behavior. The opposite is true. We all want to end child abuse.New ways of raising responsible, strong, loving children are replacing hitting

• The most heinous things done to children are now illegal, but 85% of these abuses began with spanking and progressed from there.

• In the US, 33 states have abolished paddling in schools, and in the other 19 states, many individual districts have stopped it.

• Today many tested alternatives exist that teach self-responsibility and skills at making better choices. Therefore to end child abuse, we must stop all hitting of children.

For research and links to studies and for resources on modern parenting: US Alliance to End the Hitting of Children: www.endhittingusa.org Report Abuse: www.hennepin.us/residents/human-services/child-protection-services 612-348-3552 www.co.wright.mn.us/383/Child-Protection 763-682-7400 www.anokacounty.us/632/Child-Protection-Child-Abuse 763-422-7125 If the child is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1 or your local police department.

I know many feel this topic is unrelated to being pro life and Christian, but corporal punishment against children inevitably causes people to associate pain with punishment. Some struggles however bring us benefit and are certainly worth all of our effort. That being said individuals brought up with being hit even in the so called form of "spanking." are repeatedly given experiences that trigger an unhealthy emotional response to pain, especially since the people we are supposed to rely on were basically betraying our trust. I'm wondering how many people agree with these associations especially when we consider the pain in giving birth. How many more people may have been Pro Life if only they had been given a childhood free from intentional harm against their bodily autonomy? I actually spoke with an abortion supporter who was opposed to adoption simply because the child could end up in a household that would betray them with corporal punishment, that conversation inspired the continuation of this petition. I assured the woman that currently at least adopted children are mostly protected against corporal punishment. I just want america to wake up and give children as much bodily autonomy as an adult like in Israel. I understand there are times we may need to intervene, but a gentle block or a hold should be sufficient instead of the traditional excessive force. Pro Life should also be about giving quality of life anywhere possible. When someone strikes at us we are to turn the other cheek, we are not advised under the new covenant to be the one to inflict any sort of hitting or violence.

T0TH3M4X

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Oct, 2019 11:46 AM

The Bible is the measuring stick for all Truth.

Prov 13:24 - He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

There is a difference between "discipline" and "abuse." The problem is when we cross that line. If someone tells you "spanking is bad", then it's time for them to hear what God says, because He is our authority. One thing I've learned about spanking and discipline is that many times the consequence that occurs without discipline is far worse than a few whacks on the behind. Why? Because if done right, it reminds us to change our course so there isn't a next time.

Alligator

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Oct, 2019 11:12 PM

I agree that whippings and abuse should not happen. But spare the rod and spoil the child is truly the reason for many of our young hoodlums and druggies. If you tell a child NO and he/she creates a tantrum or continues to do it. You can try setting him/her on a chair for awhile to "think about it". However, if the bad behavior recurs, then a good swat on the behind may be needed to get their attention. I feel sorry for children who are abused. One of my uncles was whipped constantly by his father with his fathers belt and buckle. But a swat on the behind and an explanation may have been enough. Remember, if you don't pass out punishment to the young who are learning, guess who is rotting in our prisons.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 Oct, 2019 01:53 AM

Seeker, if you’re still around, you might be interested in scripture that might help you understand the distinction between discipline (which might include spanking) and abuse.

You also stated a classical error concerning old covenant and new covenant distinctions.

seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Nov, 2019 10:48 PM

Yes I check in on this thread.

seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Nov, 2019 10:51 PM

if you view the rod in that manner then the sheep are still sheltered by it and not struck. Keep watch and don't let wolves into the pasture.

seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Nov, 2019 10:17 AM

Young children are being shown on tv all the bad behaviors they act out. spanking is definitely not needed. Children are being alienated from their parents because of the poor boundaries spanking represents. My main points have not been refuted. You would be surprised at how children respond to words. I like to give scripture readings to children that misbehave. The scripture is to be used for correction not hypocritical spanking. 2 Timothy 3:16. Let us also not forget "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." We are supposed to be modeling behavior we want children to copy. You clearly are not thinking of the millions of children who didn't want to show their scars to a cps worker because of the location. Ask Jesus if there is a better way before you reply to me. HE can answer you.

seekeruvtruth

View Profile
History
Posted : 15 Nov, 2019 10:28 AM

What error did you think I made in distinguishing the difference between the old covenant and the new covenant? Can you identify how the two covenants are different? Wouldn't you rather try other options than resort to spanking? All things really are possible through Christ. Speaking scripture is powerful, more powerful than a hand that hits or spanks. Even the creation was spoken into existence, I'm surprised to be met with so much opposition. Again i'm not opposed to healthy, non violent, and respectful correction.

DanielShakleferd

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Feb, 2020 06:16 PM

I am skeptical of the practice of spanking, I would not be quick to call it abuse since A. It can be done with loving intentions B. I suspect it puts people on the defensive.

At least in American culture "abuse" or especially "child abuse" has the connotation that a person doing such a thing is a soulless monster. So while I am against euphemisms, I don't want to use such a loaded term to describe the behavior of loving parents.

On the other hand, I think it is fair to call it hitting. I mean, if I were totally in favor of spanking, I would be willing to grant that it is hitting. I am not a fan of euphemisms. So the question is whether hitting a kid is the best way to teach discapline. If hitting were an effective way of teaching discipline, I would be far less skeptical of the practice. But I just see no evidence for this, I certainly was not a success case since I had to teach myself disapline. I am skeptical on the basis that I see no evidence of its effectiveness, not because it is impossible to imagine how it could potentially be non-abusive.

I was spanked, I wouldn't call it abuse and it wasn't nearly as bad people often describe their experiences with spanking. I wouldn't call it a beating like many "spanked" people have received, more embarrassing than painful. I believe that my parents love me and didn't do it out of malice but because they mistakenly thought that it was the best way for me to learn disapline.

Here are a few neutral observations of mine.

1. If a parent attempts to teach discipline in an ineffective or counterproductive way, that doesn't mean that parent is evil or doesn't love their children, it likely means that the parent was unawre of more better options. We should be willing to learn from our parents without idolizing or scandalizing or resenting them. We can say that they did their best without idolizing all their methods as perfect.

2. The Bible makes absolutely no mention of specifically slapping children on the butt. So isn't it possible that hitting a different location would be more propper, if we are intent on hitting? Just think about this objectively, why the butt of all places? What are the advantages and do the outweigh the potential disadvantages. Why not hit them on the back or some other area? Honest question. I don't think we should scandalize parents like they are perverts or something, but maybe this is unintentionally sending children the wrong message. Solomon also says that it is foolish to not be open to criticism and change, that is actually what Proverbs is all about.

Now here are some of my doubts and why I would certainly put a great deal of effort into other methods before considering spanking.

1. It is often interpreted as unloving to children. It may be a mistaken interpretation, but it is their interpretation(of many children). At least a fraction of children interpret things this way, even if you didn't. And if your child is such a child, they will interpret it in such a way regardless of what you say to them. Whatever benefits that can be gained by spanking are less than the benefits of the child knowing that he or she is unconditionally loved.

2. I see no way in which it teaches discipline. I grew up with no self-control and not much respect for others. I had to learn this myself through certain habits and mindsets and correction from God, none of which involved artificial punishments.

3. The focus should not be taken away from the natural consequences. It would be especially disastrous to spare children from natural consequences(at least harmless consequences) and to impose artificial consequences in their place. Many spankers understand this and that is why I think that their children often grow up fine, because they were taught with more effective methods along with spanking which may or may not have helped.

4. For many parents, it is a sin to spank, regardless of whether it is a misguided or a wonderful form of discipline. It is a sin to do anything against the conscience(Romans 14). So a parent that has doubts about whether spanking is right or wrong, whether in general or in a specific case, should not spank. Spanking is not the only form of disapline, thankfully my parents knew this so I wasn't totally lost.

5. I was spanked as a kid and look how I turned out! Surely you don't want your children to end up like me!

View Profile
History
Posted : 14 Apr, 2020 11:54 AM

Spanking should be a last resort if words don't work. Obviously some children will not listen, no matter what. But there is a very big difference between physical discipline and abuse.

View Profile
History
Posted : 30 May, 2020 04:28 PM

I agree spsnking or one laying the hands on a child for any reason is not permissible ..if is not good to be done to an adult , is most definitely not good for a child

Page : 1 2