Author Thread: What's the greatest lesson you've learned from online dating?
Admin

What's the greatest lesson you've learned from online dating?
Posted : 13 Sep, 2019 08:34 AM

When I was still in law school, I tried OKCupid because one of my brothers had a positive review of the said dating site. I've used it as a diversion from stress and also as a platform to meet people from all walks of life. Needless to say, I put myself out there without any hopes of finding "the one". As an NBSB (no bf since birth), being single since time immemorial has never been an issue for me. It's not that I'm so full of myself or anything like that, I just feel like when someone is really interested in you, he would definitely find a way to make you feel that he's sincere with his intentions. He's that someone who's NOT into talking to different women all at the same time. Long story short, I have to say that my experience was generally pleasant, but of course there were not so good ones too.

Back in 2013, an American gent from California sent me a message that stood out from the rest. His message was very sincere and I didn't think twice of replying back. In other words, we hit it off fast because I'd like to believe that we're attracted to each other's morals and principles in life. The exchange of messages via email and Fb messenger plus Skype calls were countless that I've failed to realize that I was already falling for him. Yes, I was caught off guard by his kindness and sincerity...something that I haven't felt from other men who tried to pursue me. For the first time ever, I've never felt like a potato... that I was indeed some crispy fries instead He told me about his plans of coming here in the Philippines, and I also told him that if it didn't happen because of one reason or another...that I could possibly be the one to fly out there in the U.S. after my bar exam since I also have a lawyer cousin who's living in California.

Anyway, the sad part was this... He never made it here and he got married back in 2016. He also mentioned that he consulted his family about his plans of settling down here, or to put it bluntly, they feared that there's no water and electricity in our city lol. They feared that he wouldn't be able to survive in this country. To be honest, I got sad because I felt like I was prejudged before they even know me and my background. I was like...do I have to tell them I'm like this and that? Do they really think that all women, esp. Filipinas are the same? Heck, I don't have a "white fever" nor do I feel that love should be based on color. I couldn't care less whether you're black, brown, white or yellow---it makes no difference to me. I don't even consider Caucasians as milking cows or human atms. It just makes me really sad when other people make a sweeping generalization that all Pinays are the same. :( I can vividly remember crying one night in November 2014 because that's the time when he said that he could no longer talk to me as much as he wanted to because he was already seeing someone else... that he felt kind of guilty talking to me and the other woman, who's now his wife. As a Christian, I honestly thought that he's "the one" because we're so alike in so many ways and I even prayed to God about this man...

Life is indeed mysterious as it is with Love. We may have a laundry list of qualities that we desire in a lifetime partner, but all of these things wouldn't matter anymore if we've been bitten by the love bug.

Moral of the story: There's more to this life than the romantic kind of love --- for we are loved by our family and friends, and of course by the Great Almighty. Fret not if you're still single. After all, it's best to wait for someone than to end up with the wrong one. ^_^

And as Alfred Lord Tennyson puts it: "It's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all".

Have a good day beautiful people! Take care and God bless. <3

JDTRUTHWRITER

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Sep, 2019 07:39 AM

Interesting. I read your post question (what's my greatest lesson I learned since dating) and my answer was

"NEVER fall in love with someone you never MET in person"

(did this once and when we met he looked NOTHING like his picture) ...also, since 93% of communication is non-verbal, unless you are in front of that person, you will never know the REAL truth of that person.

NEVER reveal LOTS of info to someone you never MET or barely know...because then your awesome story is in someone's head that you may never see again...they now know of your family, friends, and sometimes they know more intimate info even than your FRIENDS.

Tibone

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Oct, 2019 09:40 AM

thats a nice story. as for me, i tried living there in your place and barely made it out alive. perhaps my body chemistry didnt agree with the food options and weather. everyone's different. for me i have learned what is important to me, thats what brought me to this site.

getmeoffhereplz

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jan, 2020 12:02 PM

As a Christian widow I have learned that the word Christian means different things to different people. Seldom do these definitions all adhere to scripture. So I suppose essentially, I have learned most "christians" have no idea what Christianity really is or how to become a Christian.

View Profile
History
Posted : 2 Jun, 2020 05:13 PM

Hello there, I have a question in that meeting aspect. Of course I could be wrong but I feel that meeting someone before even getting into important conversations can be very tricky as we are very visual creatures. What if there is a physical attraction when you meet and a strong chemistry? Don't you feel like that could distort the reality of compatibility somewhat ?

Page : 1 2