Author Thread: Too old fashioned?
Mykull

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 27 Sep, 2019 03:35 PM

It's obvious I am here because I am single. I have never been married. So I have to wonder if my standards are still too high. I was raised in a church. I lived in an old small country town. So my thoughts are very old fashioned and backwoodies. Anyways to get to my point I now am only really looking for a naturally born, straight, non smoking, non drug user, female. I have visited a lot of dating websites over the years and most females, I would guess 95%, are either smokers and / or bisexual or transgender. I was taught if God wanted us to smoke we would have chimneys on our heads. I was also taught that it is man and wife. Not man and man or woman and woman. I know God said to love your neighbors like you love yourself. But I can't see all this bisexual / homosexual stuff. I was raised that, that was a choice. You weren't born that way. But I digress. I was also taught that it was wrong to date outside your own race. And I don't judge anyone as that is not my job. God is the only one we have to answer to. So I keep quite about the subject but the site of interracial anything turns my stomach. I was also taught to have respect for church, God and the word of God. With that being said I was taught you had to dress up to attend church to show respect for the church and for God. And we never ever ate or drank in the sanctuary as that was a big big no no. I have visited a few churches over the years since I moved to a new area and none believe what I was taught. Peole wear t-shirts and jeans to church or old work clothes. I don't think they have respect for themselves let alone for God or the church. Then a few even served cookies and drinks and was encouraged to bring them into the sanctuary. I couldn't believe my eyes. Then of course the interracial couples. All I could not believe the pastor / preacher / minister/ etc. would let go on. If any of these thing happened at the church I grew up in the pastor would of called those people out in front of everyone. Not one on one, just in a friendly reminder like, we need to dress appropriately in the house of God, so please do so, and so on. Anyone else older then 40 feel the way I do? Or is it just me? I know I was probably taught wrong but like they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks or change their mind. Sorry for the long post and thanks you for your time.

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 29 Sep, 2019 08:10 PM

I only encourage You check what Jesus said?

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 3 Oct, 2019 07:40 PM

I was raised in similar church legalistic settings as you. At first, I went along with all the legalistic additions to the Church experience.

Then I started “testing all things” just like the Bible commands us.

You mentioned how the church you attended frowned upon racial marriages to the point of calling people out.

I’ve been to churches just like that who converted to the modern world’s evolutionary doctrine of beginnings and classifications of race.

I found that my “old fashioned” religion was really “new-fangled legalism”. It’s just that the corruption took place before I was born. Since it took place before I was born, I assumed it must be old fashioned.

Later in life, I learned how my old fashioned teachers had been corrupted by theories of new fangled evolution even though they claimed to detest it.

One of the corruptions involved the evolutionary classification of the races.

Now I know that all men are the same blood, all came from Adam. Therefore, all are brothers and sisters. So there are no races, just people groups that look differently from one another because of the eventual rise of a common geological genetic eminence. All skin is the same color—varying shades of brown, some just have more melatonin, some less.

I would encourage you also to test everything as well. Jettison the bad and invest in the good.

Take the Bible seriously. Make sure you use it properly

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 15 Oct, 2019 02:55 AM

What scares me is that there are a lot of other people that think like you in terms of interracial relationships...

Alligator

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 24 Oct, 2019 07:38 PM

MyKull - you are not too old fashioned. I was raised that church is a place to be quiet, not eating cookies and coffee. Everyone sins, and most of the sermons were aimed at that...the trouble it causes and how to avoid it. I too am appalled at men wearing cargo pants and t-shirts to God's house and women wearing sleeveless low cut tops and skin tight pants. Children not made to sit down and listen. But we have to remember that God watches everything. Revelations tells us the 7 churches, and all churches fit into one of the categories. search those and see where your church fits.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 25 Oct, 2019 10:08 AM

I do think that some of the viewpoints mentioned are old fashioned, but I also think they are a part of the fabric of a large section of American society.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 25 Oct, 2019 10:12 AM

I'm over 40 & don't think the way you do thankfully...:-)

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 26 Oct, 2019 04:36 PM

I'm old fashioned when it comes to traditional marriage man and woman.

It doesn't matter to God what you wear or what race you are. The Word if God tells us we should dress moderately.

God looks at the Heart of man.

Today's Society is getting hearts of stone against the things of God.

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 3 Nov, 2019 08:02 PM

Having an issue with interracial relationships is old-fashioned, but maybe not in the way you meant. When Moses, a Hebrew, married a Midianite woman, his sister Miriam criticized him, and God struck her with leprosy. Racism goes back a long way, but it was never condoned by God. Marrying outside of your faith is wrong, but not marrying someone from a different race.

Mykull

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 9 Nov, 2019 01:00 PM

I would date outside my faith. Whether it would be Baptist or Catholic or Jewish or what ever. As the way I see it we are ALL striving to get to the same place, Heaven to see our Heavenly Father. I couldn't date an atheist. Did that once and thought I would caught on fire every time I stepped into a church.

Loree7

View Profile
History
Too old fashioned?
Posted : 28 Feb, 2020 04:24 AM

I grew up in a conservative church also. My dad was the pastor. I remember being taught to honor the sanctuary, dress up to show respect, and not eat in the sanctuary. I'm now a missionary. I still dress up because it is a way of honoring my Lord with the best. I don't dress up as much because of those around me. I see as people come to know the Lord, their dress changes, not because of anything said. My co-worker doesn't wear a suit or even a tie, but as men come to know Christ, they begin wearing suit and my co-worker does too. I try to have a snack for the children in children's church because I know that some will be going to bed hungry. Too old fashioned? Some desire that homey lifestyle. Is that wrong? No. You must decide what is belief and what is preference. Many of my generation weren't taught why things were done but just to obey. I stress in my lessons to the children why we wear certain clothes and why not, why we talk they way we do, why we act the way we do. I would not date someone who didn't believe the same way because I truly believe and not just prefer. For example, the Mormon faith talks of Jesus, but their Jesus is the brother of Satan born of Mary's sexual relationship with the god of this world (each world has their own god and he has multiple wives). Catholics talk of the blood of Jesus Christ, but prayer is made to many dead humans and most of all Mary is venerated above God (Jesus Christ). Their God is not a God of Love to be approached, but a God to be feared. What do you believe vs what do you prefer?

Page : 1 2