Author Thread: Share Your Mission Experience
Admin

Share Your Mission Experience
Posted : 5 Jul, 2009 07:56 PM

I thought I'd open up discussion for those of us who have been overseas on mission trips to share our stories. I spent two years in Indonesia teaching math to missionary kids. I loved it! I have a million stories to tell, but one that comes to mind is my last day attending a local Indonesian church. Even though I didn't speak the language, I attended every Sunday with my dictionary and two Bibles - English and Bahasa Indonesian. My favorite part was worshiping with my Indonesian brothers and sisters! On my last Sunday, a lady, who I had never met, turned around, held me hand tenderly, and told me (with the help of a translator) that she was so glad I was there worshiping God with her. Wow - that was awesome!

And here's a crazy, fun story. A few times, I went on vacation to the tourist island of Bali. The Balinese speak English since they live off of tourism and there are always people coming up to you asking if you "need help" and then they offer you their services. One time, I made the mistake of pulling out a map and immediately, my two friends and I were surrounded by men asking "Where you want to go? I have taxi. I give you good price." Hahah! Well, I kept my mouth shut and one of my friends started yelling at them in Korean! :ROFL: The men just stared at her with a blank look and said "sorry, I no understand . . . but . . . I have taxi. I have good price for you". Apparently they didn't take the hint, soooo . . . my other friend started yelling at them in Spanish! The whole time I was just my head off! Eventually, the men all left us alone and no one bothered us again :laugh:

ayngrady

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Aug, 2009 06:48 PM

i have only done missionary work in the states, but here is a quote from Nate Saint... a pioneering pilot for mission aviation fellowship... out of his book jungle pilot... he's the same pilot from the movie end of the spear.......

so he is in the hospital after a bad crash....hurt pretty good.....

" we'll appreciate your continued intercession. pray with us that God will, out of the debris of this battle, challenge the hearts of many who still don't know the blessing of all-out abandonment to the Lord Jesus Christ and to the job He wants us to do in simple obedience. The world is dying for want of a savior- yet so many who profess to love Him are still living " business as usual" lives, cheating themselves of the " high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

from the book " Jungle Pilot" by Russell T. Hitt...which you can get for free at the MAF web page.... page 138 p2 discovery house pub 1997

ok

k.ayn

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Aug, 2009 03:05 PM

I just got from Peru a couple weeks ago. I thought I knew enough Spanish until I got there. There were times that I felt so lost and alone because I couldn't communicate without the translators.

One day after church our whole missionary team got together with some Peruvian Pastors and we had a big lunch at one of the local restaurants.

Our team leader told us to sit with the Peruvian people and not just ourselves. I think I was the only one that listened. Everyone on my side of my table only spoke Spanish. I was frustrated at first because the rest of my team didn't listen and left me all alone.

I decided to take out my cell phone and show my Peruvian friends pictures of my family......We had a great time even though they couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand them..but the Pictures did the talking for us.

I was told later that they were so happy that I took the time to be with them and that they enjoyed my company.

The Peruvian people were very friendly and welcoming. I knew that we had Christ as our bond and we were so alike and had the same desire to pray and worship Christ. We didn't let the language barrier keep us from being friends.

The Peruvian people treated us like celebrities. I have to admit... that was very awkward for me. I'm just a nobody from the USA..but to them ....us coming to their country was a huge deal to them.

paulmosesrajesh

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Oct, 2009 01:22 AM

hi Mam,

Praise God.

I am paul moses rajesh an south indian evangelist, I am currently working in Bangkok, Thailand, Pls let me know if you have any ministry opportunity I am very proud to see people like you here in this website.

Thanx, Bye

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Aug, 2010 01:34 PM

Loving others as God loves us. a lady was crying at work and I told her: God loves you. I do too. A few days later she called me over and told me she really was glad I told her that because nobody at work seemed to want to even work with her. She's got heart problems and not long to live but needs to work to pay doctor bills. Please pray for her and my mother too, She's in the hospital. Thanks.

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Sep, 2010 07:42 PM

I will be going to the Dominican Republic for a week in January. Will have to come back and post when I return. So far I have been told that the females are to wear skirts only (no pants or shorts) and that I need to let my hair grow (I keep it short). I think it will be a good experience.