Author Thread: What do you think the sign of jonah really means?
War4peace^

View Profile
History
What do you think the sign of jonah really means?
Posted : 5 Dec, 2019 04:19 PM

Feel like I experienced the sign anyone on here know?

KJVonly

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Dec, 2019 07:06 PM

Death brings life .

Jonah sacrificed himself to keep the other shipmates from being killed in the storm when he ran away and boarded the ship . He eventually was drawn out of the water from death unto life.

Y'shua like Jonah was in the earth and rose again . Jonah got spit out of the great fish onto land to proclaim to Ninevah that if they didn't repent they would be overthrown. When Y'shua rose from the grave, He sent the apostles out to proclaim the Gospel and the Gentiles repented and turned to Christ .

Like Jonah afterward, the religious leaders were angry .

So many parallels and why it is a sign.

A wonderful prophecy which points to Christ.

That is why the fish is linked to Christianity. Death, resurrection, repentance and life.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Dec, 2019 01:43 AM

I found a really helpful article from

“Got Questions” I thought I’d copy and paste as follows

What is the sign of Jonah?

sign of Jonahaudio

Question: "What is the sign of Jonah?"

Answer: The phrase “sign of Jonah” was used by Jesus as a typological metaphor for His future crucifixion, burial, and resurrection. Jesus answered with this expression when asked by the Pharisees for miraculous proof that He was indeed the Messiah. The Pharisees remained unconvinced of Jesus’ claims about Himself, despite His having just cured a demon-possessed man who was both blind and mute. Shortly after the Pharisees accused Jesus of driving out demons by the power of Satan, they said to Him, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from you.” He answered, “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here” (Matthew 12:38–41).

To fully appreciate the answer that Jesus gave, we must go to the Old Testament book of Jonah. In its first chapter, we read that God commanded the prophet Jonah to go to the city of Nineveh and warn its people that He was going to destroy it for its wickedness. Jonah disobediently ran from the Lord and headed for the city of Tarshish by boat. The Lord then sent a severe storm that caused the crew of the ship to fear for their lives. Jonah was soon thrown overboard and swallowed by a great fish where he remained for “three days and three nights” (Jonah 1:15–17). After the three-day period, the Lord caused the great fish to vomit Jonah out onto dry land (Jonah 2:10).

It is this three days that Jesus was referring to when He spoke of the sign of Jonah. Jesus had already been producing miracles that were witnessed by many. Jesus had just performed a great sign in the Pharisees’ presence by healing a deaf man who was possessed of a demon. Rather than believe, they accused Jesus of doing this by the power of Satan. Jesus recognized their hardness of heart and refused to give them further proof of His identity. However, He did say that there would be one further sign forthcoming, His resurrection from the dead. This would be their final opportunity to be convinced.

Jesus’ paralleling of the Pharisees with the people of Nineveh is telling. The people of Nineveh repented of their evil ways (Jonah 3:4–10) after hearing Jonah’s call for repentance, while the Pharisees continued in their unbelief despite being eyewitnesses to the miracles of Jesus. Jesus was telling the Pharisees that they were culpable for their unbelief, given the conversion of the people of Nineveh, sinners who had received far less evidence than the Pharisees themselves had witnessed.

But what are we to make of the phrase “three days and three nights”? Was Jesus saying that He would be dead for three full 24-hour periods before He would rise from the dead? It does not appear so. The phrase “three days and three nights” need not refer to a literal 72-hour period. Rather, according to the Hebrew reckoning of time, the days could refer to three days in part or in whole. Jesus was probably crucified on a Friday (Mark 15:42). According to the standard reckoning, Jesus died at about 3:00 PM (Matthew 27:46) on Friday (day 1). He remained dead for all of Saturday (day 2) and rose from the dead early on Sunday morning (day 3). Attempts to place Jesus’ death on Wednesday to accommodate a literal 72-hour period are probably unnecessary once we take into account the Hebrew method of reckoning of each day as beginning at sundown. So it seems that the expression “three days and three nights” was used as a figure of speech meant to signify any part of three days.

God would often use signs (or miracles) in the Bible to authenticate His chosen messenger. The Lord provided Moses with several miraculous signs in order to prove to others that he was appointed by God (Exodus 4:5–9; 7:8–10;19-20). God sent down fire on Elijah’s altar during Elijah’s contest with the prophets of Baal (1 Kings 18:36–39). He performed this miracle to prove that the God of Israel was the one true God. Jesus Himself would perform many miracles (or “signs”) to demonstrate His power over nature (Matthew 4:23; Mark 6:30–44; Luke 8:22–24; John 6:16–24). The “sign of Jonah” would turn out to be Jesus’ greatest miracle of all. Jesus’ resurrection from the dead would be God’s chief sign that Jesus was Israel’s long-awaited Messiah (Acts 2:23–32) and establish Christ’s claims to deity (Romans 1:3–4).

Recommended Resource: God the Son Incarnate: The Doctrine of Christ by Stephen Wellum

More insights from your Bible study - Get Started with Logos Bible Software for Free!

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Dec, 2019 10:14 AM

You cannot run from God. If he told you to do something, just do it.

Jonah message was from God. Jonah didn't do whathewas told, and suffered the consequences.

KJVonly

View Profile
History
Posted : 7 Dec, 2019 07:45 PM

David.

Your recommended resource was ....

Quote: God the Son Incarnate: The Doctrine of Christ by Stephen Wellum

End quote

I was on my way to another thread to post and clicked on this one. I know that wasn't by mistake. I saw the word Incarnate jump out and BAM!

So here goes...

What does Jesus incarnate mean?

The term Jesus as God Incarnate is the Christian belief that Jesus is God in human form. ... Incarnation means 'made flesh'. It is the Christian belief that God became a man in the person of Jesus, fully human and fully divine. God becoming human in the form of Jesus.

So ...Jesus came to earth in bodily form .. A God man. Well who is God then to you? Is it the Father? There is only ONE God right? The Godhead is made up of Father , Son and Holy Spirit and these 3 are ONE it says in scripture. There goes the trinity doctrine!

1 John 5:7

King James Version

"For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

We know the WORD is Jesus. The WORD became flesh and dwelled among us. The part of the Father that was the WORD came in flesh. Scripture tells us HE was >>in<< the bosom of the Father.

So...am I still wrong Dave? I will humble myself if I am.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 12:45 AM

KJVo, you’re still missing one thing.

In the very first chapter and verse of the Bible.

That’s right, from the very beginning—in Genesis 1, God introduces himself as God using the Hebrew plural form of (Elohim)

Then later in the Bible, it says “God is one”!! In other words, Elohim (plural) is One! This is exciting!!

These are the very first outright biblical clues to the Trinity

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Dec, 2019 02:00 PM

Matthew 23:9: Jesus says, "Do not call anyone on earth **FATHER**, for you have **ONE FATHER** and He is in heaven!!"

The Roman Catholic Church and littlestdavid wrongly claim that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is completely **CO-EQUAL** WITH GOD THE FATHER**???

Jon 1:18: No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is Himself God and is in closest relationship with the Father, has made Him known!

Dueteronomy 18:17-19: The Lord said to Moses, "I will raise up for them a Prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put My words in His mouth. He will tell them everything I command Him. I Myself will call to account anyone who does not listen to My words that the Prophet speaks in My name!"

John 14:23,24, 28: Jesus says, "Anyone who loves Me will obey My teaching, My Father will love them and We will come too them an make our home with them. Anyone who does not love Me will not obey My teaching. These words you hear are not My own, **THEY BELONG TO THE FATHER WHO SENT ME**.... You have heard Me say, 'I am going away and am coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would be glad I am going to the **FATHER** , for the **FATHER IS GREATER THAN I!"

Revelation 1:1: The Revelation from Jesus Christ which God {The **FATHER**} **GAVE HIM** to show His servants which must take place!

John 17:17: Jesus prayed to His **FATHER**, "Sanctify them by the Truth, **YOUR WORD** IS TRUTH**!!

Jesus taught us to only **PRAY TO GOD THE FATHER**:

Matthew 5:6-15: Jesus says, "When you pray, go into your room, close the door and **PRAY TO YOUR FATHER**, who is unseen. Then your **FATHER**, who sees what is done in secret, will **REWARD YOU**. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your **FATHER** knows what you need before you ask Him. This the is how you should pray: 'Our **FATHER** in heaven, hallowed be your name, **YOUR KINGDOM COME** {See I Corinthians 15:22-24 below}, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts {sins}, as we forgive our debtors.... For if you forgive other people who sin against you, your heavenly **FATHER** will also forgive you. but if you do not forgive others their sins, your **FATHER** will not forgive your sins'!"

Luke 11:1-4: One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When He finished, one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray. Jesus said to them, "When you pray, say: "**FATHER**, hallowed be your name, **YOUR KINGDOM COME** Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we forgive everyone who sins against us!'"

I Corinthians 15:22-24: For as in Adam all die , so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in turn, Christ, the Firstfruits, then, when He comes those who belong to Him. Then the end will come when He hands over the **KINGDOM TO GOD THE **FATHER**!

John 6:37,39,44,65: Jesus says, "**ALL THAT THE **FATHER** GIVES ME** will come to Me, and whoever comes to Me I will **NEVER** drive away... And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I shall **LOSE NONE** of all that **HE HAS GIVEN ME**, but raise them up at the Last Day.... No one can come to Me **UNLESS THE **FATHER**WHO SENT ME DRAWS HIM**, and I will raise him up at the Last Day!!... No one can come to Me **UNLESS THE **FATHER** HAS ENABLED THEM**!!"

"Not every one who says to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the **WILL OF MY FATHER** who is in heaven." (Matthew 7:21)

Luke 22:42: Jesus says, **FATHER**, if you are willing, take this cup from Me; yet not My will, but **YOUR WILL BE DONE!!"

The Roman Catholic Church and littlestdavid sinfully claim that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ is completely **CO-EQUAL** WITH GOD THE FATHER**???

KJVonly

View Profile
History
Posted : 10 Dec, 2019 12:15 AM

LittleDavid quote:

KJVo, you’re still missing one thing.

In the very first chapter and verse of the Bible.

That’s right, from the very beginning—in Genesis 1, God introduces himself as God using the Hebrew plural form of (Elohim)

Then later in the Bible, it says “God is one”!! In other words, Elohim (plural) is One! This is exciting!!

These are the very first outright biblical clues to the Trinity

End quote

There is only one thing wrong with that and that is the word Trinity!

Godhead is in the bible, not trinity ..

The catholic doctrine of trinity is that there are 3 DISTINCT persons ...

Distinct means :

distinct, separate, discrete mean not being each and every one the same. distinct indicates that something is distinguished by the mind or eye as being apart or different from others. two distinct versions separate often stresses lack of connection or a difference in identity between two things.

Example: Twins who have different distinct personalities.