Author Thread: What are some of your favorite missionary biographies?
Loree7

View Profile
History
What are some of your favorite missionary biographies?
Posted : 27 Feb, 2020 03:44 PM

I love reading of how God works in others life.

"Behind the Ranges" the biography of J.O. Fraser by Mrs. Howard Taylor is one of my favorites.

"Peace Child" by Don Richardson is another one which I like to reread.

"Christ's Witchdoctor" by Homer Dowdy is one of my top favorites. I also enjoyed his "Bamboo Cross."

"God's Smuggler" Brother Andrew's story is encouraging as well as "God's Smuggler to China" by Brother David.

I must not forget "Port of Two Brothers" by Paul Schlener.

There are many more in my library, but these are among the top.

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Feb, 2020 08:24 PM

I like:

Bruchko by Bruce Olsen

Peace Child by Don Richardson

God's Smuggler by Brother Andrew

Loree7

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Mar, 2020 11:10 AM

Have you read "God's Smuggler to China?"

"Christ's Witchdoctor" is along the lines of "Peace Child."

"Lords of the Earth" is another good read from Don Richardson (authored Peace Child)

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Mar, 2020 11:47 PM

"God's Smuggler" Brother Andrew's story is indeed encouraging.

I’m encouraged by anything about Jim and Elisabeth Elliot in their attempts to reach the Auca Indians from Ecuador. As you know, Jim with 4 other missionaries were speared to death by the Aucas. Some time later, Elisabeth established contact with some of the Auca women and though the engagement got tense it eventually resulted in the tribes conversion.

But you’re right there are many other missionary stories just as encouraging, edifying and intriguing.

I’m quite often awed by the extreme sacrifice of some missionaries in their efforts to preach the gospel.

NarnianGirl

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Mar, 2020 01:47 PM

Appointment in Jerusalem by Lydia Prince

God's Tramp by Corrie Ten Boom

and many others...

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Mar, 2020 05:07 AM

Brother Andrew ' the God's Smuggler...is intriguing, And especially where he found the underground church, with just a page of the Bible as their only Bible....Amazing...God's hand in everything he did is shocking.

I also ready a book by Army Carmichael, a long time ago...I may not remember the title, but it was about her missionary work in India...how she rescued very young girls from temple prostitution.

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 Mar, 2020 04:32 PM

I have read both God's Smuggler to China and Lords of the Earth. Fun fact, a former employer that I worked for for 5 years, is the daughter of the Dr Wally Donaldson mentioned in Lords of the Earth. I'm acquainted with him and his wife. They would come into the shop where we worked and my boss would tell me stories about when she was in Indonesia as a girl.

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 May, 2020 08:56 AM

Some missionary biographies I have read are those of George Mueller's, Hudson Taylor's, and Elisabeth Elliot's Shadow of the Almighty.

'will look up those you have mentioned here.

Thanks!