Author Thread: Counseling
Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 7 Apr, 2020 11:36 AM

Do you think it is important for couples to go to premarital counseling Before a marriage?

Should It be Preferably a Christian counselor ?

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 7 Apr, 2020 11:56 AM

No I don't think premarital counseling is important, but I know that it's prerequisite in order to be married in some churches. In my parents day there was no pre marital counseling, you just got married and those marriages stood the test of time...

Alligator

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 7 Apr, 2020 04:02 PM

I think its worth discussing. If both people believe it will be helpful, then make an appointment and take along your list of questions. If one of the persons in the couple gets upset, angry or just flat out says NO, then its time to reconsider if this is a person you want to continue spending your life with.

Alligator

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 7 Apr, 2020 04:04 PM

I have been to counseling 3 times in my life. Each one went "by the book" saying what they learned from study rather than real life. One of the times, my husband got up and walked out. we ended up in divorce. The other 2 times I was alone. one was a good helpful experience, the other was a total failure. I have no idea if any of the 3 counselors were Christian.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 10 Apr, 2020 01:00 PM

A professional family counseling told me once. Couples problems are usually One persons fault rather than the other.

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 26 Oct, 2020 07:28 PM

it's a space where both can discuss their values. It may be useful to dig through past trauma and triggers so you know when you're stepping on the other's toes.

Probably a good thing to consider in this divorce-thirsty society nowadays.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 27 Oct, 2020 06:06 AM

Many Christians divorce, for various reasons.

Te Bible teaches against divorce except adultery and desertion.

Many Christians marry Non Believers and that's against the scripture.

Yes. Counseling is necessary, especially for people who don't know are follow God Word.

Marriages are not made in heaven!

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 27 Oct, 2020 06:09 AM

"The" Bible

"Or" follow the scripture.

edited words

:,-)

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 31 Oct, 2020 10:24 PM

Pre-marital counseling was not needed as much in the past. There was no WWW that made it easy to go fish for eye-candy when relational things were rocky.

Some don't believe in the usefulness of counseling. Might be related to a pride issue. Red flag if one person thinks it's useful and the other has the, "that will NEVER happen to me" mindset.

Nowadays everything gets labeled as "abuse" when it may have just been a breakdown in communication.

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 1 Nov, 2020 05:44 AM

jj

You post very Wise for a young man.

I know for a fact most men don't want counseling in marriage.

I've been to a family counselor, years ago.

View Profile
History
Counseling
Posted : 1 Nov, 2020 09:20 AM

Abuse is far more than a breakdown in communication, JJ!

Page : 1 2 3 4