Author Thread: The Truth About Modesty Culture, And How It Affects Men and Women
Admin

The Truth About Modesty Culture, And How It Affects Men and Women
Posted : 16 Apr, 2020 02:43 PM

https://www.emilykstumpf.com/post/the-truth-about-modesty-and-how-it-affects-men-and-women

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Apr, 2020 02:46 PM

"A basic recap:

-In this highly conservative church “modesty culture”, thoroughly covering women's bodies is meant to be a safeguard against men’s struggle with lust.

-Lust is not the same as attraction and normal sexuality. It is actually a heart issue that takes desire to an unhealthy level.

-Unfortunately, the majority of emphasis for lust prevention and lustful-heart-treatment has been given to women, asking them to hide more and more of their bodies to protect men's hearts.

-Asking women to hide their bodies this way is hurting men - feeding them the lie that a woman’s body is making them lust, and they can’t help it, because of the way they’re made.

-This message is also hurting women - by feeding them the lie that the way God designed their body is dangerous to men.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Apr, 2020 05:56 PM

Are you suggesting public nudity is ok?

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Apr, 2020 06:19 PM

Certainly not.

Did you even read the article?

dance2cedm

View Profile
History
Posted : 9 Aug, 2020 09:40 PM

CountryIvy, this is an EXCELLENT article and goes along with a passion of mine, to dismantle such harmful messages being promulgated in the church. Modesty Culture goes against the psychological concept of healthy boundaries in relationships: In a healthy relationship, you are not responsible for other people's feelings. Unhealthy boundary: "You made me angry!" Healthy boundary: "I feel angry by what you did!" Similarly, it is unhealthy to make women responsible for men's lust; men are responsible for controlling their own lust. This article gives excellent examples of how harmful it is to expect women to be responsible for someone else's lust.

I also like that it pointed out the verse in Matthew that is so often misquoted. There is a difference between looking at a woman and enjoying the artistry of God, and looking at a woman and drooling with something like, "Oh man, I'd love to have my hands all over her body." The latter is lust, the former is not. Purity culture has made men feel guilty for having God-given reactions of delight at the beauty of women when no lust is present.