Author Thread: Removing History from our Movies
Alligator

View Profile
History
Removing History from our Movies
Posted : 13 Jun, 2020 09:28 PM

What a shame that a minority of viewers is going to try to eliminate history from films like Gone with the Wind. Does that mean get rid of To Kill a Mockingbird? DJango Unchained? and dozens more? Every country in the world has a history -- slavery was popular in Africa between tribes before they ever saw a white face. Many countries have had slavery. WHO do you think built the Egyptian pyramids? Slaves, Jewish slaves. Tearing down statues of famous men, eliminating books and films that have paragraphs or scenes no one likes is ridiculous.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jun, 2020 02:46 AM

You consider it a shame, others may consider it progress. I saw gone with the wind once as a child and haven't seen any of the others & have no desire too. Things & times change, I doubt there's much of an appetite for those films, amongst the younger generation. I like history, but I've never watched a film to educate me on it. I've always prefered to read about it in a book...:-)

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jul, 2020 05:06 AM

Thankfully a lot of these heinous views are becoming a thing of the past...:-)

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jul, 2020 07:48 AM

So what if other countries have had slavery? That doesn't excuse our country.

Alligator

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 Jul, 2020 06:14 PM

so are you as concerned about our Native Americans? The indians used every part of an animal they killed, they took care of the environment. The whites came in and stole all the land. Broke every treaty that was signed. Moved the Native Americans from their homes onto reservations with the worst soil in the country. They are portrayed in movies as evil...but it was the white man who started it. Yes, the tribes stole from each other, just like African tribes raided other tribes. History is history... sucking up to people who want to change the appearance of it is disgusting.

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Jul, 2020 05:37 PM

How about the chinese that were used to build the railroads,they were treated like they were cattle.

Marcouse

View Profile
History
Posted : 6 Oct, 2020 03:47 PM

Anything that didn't happen in the last 100 years or so is not able to be confirmed. Books can easily be re-written and ultimately the victors write history anyway. History is when all said and done only the agreed upon series of events.

If you dive into WW2 history deeply it is way different to the usual Hitler was a madman guff. Yeah like a madman would just be put in charge of one of the worlds most powerful nations. Then there was Stalin who imprisoned and killed way more people than the Germans. The Russians pretty much did the majority of the fighting until Britain & the USA popped up at the end for D day.

I can't say I've a great deal of knowledge about slavery because it's boring. People were slaves years ago, so what? How does that affect anyone today?

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Nov, 2020 02:57 AM

"Boring" hmmm... Well it's an opinion and you know what they say about them...:-)

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 Nov, 2020 05:09 AM

How does that affect anyone today... The structural racism that exists because of it affects people today. On the off chance you might want to educate yourself try reading, Natives by Akala.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Nov, 2020 02:23 AM

Some people are incapable of original thought. So It's good to see that my posts are still giving certain folk ideas for new topics...:-)

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Jan, 2021 10:35 AM

Britain and the US just popped in the end did they? Who was fighting against the Germans in Norway in 1940? The British! Who fought alongside France during the invasion of France in 1940? The British! Who was fighting against Rommel in North Africa from 1941 - 1943? The British and eventually the Americans! Who pushed up through Italy during 1943 - 1945 to drive the Germans out of Italy? The Americans, the British and their allies!