Author Thread: Shame and Silence: Recognizing Spiritual Abuse
Admin

Shame and Silence: Recognizing Spiritual Abuse
Posted : 15 Jun, 2020 06:02 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.goodtherapy.org/blog/shame-and-silence-recognizing-spiritual-abuse-0201175/amp/

"Spiritual abuse can be recognized in many of the following situations but is not limited to these:

Do you feel ashamed when you and your partner have different thoughts about religion? If your partner adheres to a particular religion and you feel it is not safe to challenge their ideas about religion, spiritual abuse may be present.

Have you ever been silenced by your partner when challenging a common ideology in their religion? Have they called your thoughts and opinions silly, wrong, or stupid, leading you to feel ashamed of having the audacity to think differently?

Has your partner ever forced you to attend religious gatherings?

FIND A THERAPIST

Have you ever been shamed or punished by a partner for not obeying a particular religious rule or set of rules?

Does your partner use scriptures, religious texts, or beliefs to justify harmful or abusive behaviors?

Does your partner insist children be raised according to a certain faith, even if you do not follow that faith?"

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jun, 2020 03:31 PM

I don't believe in therapists. Prayer and advice from wise elders is better. It's best if people discuss religious beliefs before they marry.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jun, 2020 05:51 PM

That was mistake, actually. It was an ad. I forgot to edit it out.

Spiritual abuse doesn't only occur in marriage relationships. I see lot of it even on this forum.

Alligator

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jun, 2020 06:20 PM

I have to agree with Kris -- when i was a teen dating, we just had fun- there were no discussions of tobacco, church, children, money... Therapists in my experience were traumatized themselves, therefore as part of THEIR therapy, they went to school to learn more. I also prefer the wisdom of elders in the church.

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Jun, 2020 05:06 PM

YOUR A SINNER, the self proclaimed pastor screams at the people as they sit stunned and overwhelmed; Yet these type of people just heap accusations of sin upon the people, then the people have no ides what to do.

Then the self proclaimed pastor pleads gor the people to get right with GOD, so they go to the supposed altar every weak.

These same people question whether they are saved when they sin, that is why they need to hear about the Grace, forgiveness, mercy, long suffering, and Love of GOD Almighry for them.

Quiznos

View Profile
History
Posted : 23 Jun, 2020 05:09 PM

Hmmmm, with all of the money these phone companies have, you would think they could make a phone with bigger kes to push.

Please correct any words not spelled correctly. Thank you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jun, 2020 05:59 PM

It's not just in churches. I've seen it online and in forums, too, including this one. People telling others that they are not a Christian because they don't agree with them. That's spiritual abuse. People saying that you shouldn't ask questions and you prescribe to traditional. That's abuse. People saying that if someone is violating their made-up rules, then they are not Christian. That's abuse.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jun, 2020 08:40 PM

Quiznos, I understand big thumbs and little keys!! besides that, between my big thumbs and crazy spell check, I’ve said all kinds of things I shouldn’t!!

Ivy, I’ve kinda had to scale back some of my rhetoric. I’m glad some people brought a few things to my attention. At the same time, I know there’s a time and place for everything including strong words but even then must be applied wisely. But it’s just plain better to always think clearly and not text when mad. Sometimes I’ve been a good example of what not to do.

Telling someone they’re not a Christian may or may not be appropriate depending on the kind of belief In question. For example, someone calling themselves a “Christian” or a “believer” but who rejects the necessity of belief in the finished work of Jesus on the cross on their behalf, obviously isn’t a Christian. But, on the other hand, l’m wrong to call someone a non-Christian because they don’t believe exactly like l do on every little thing

Asking questions. We should always be ready to give an appropriate answer to anyone asking. Maybe some people need more information or clarification in order to find agreement with us. 1 Peter 3:15 “But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect...”

Sadly, in some mixed marriages, someone ends up getting squeezed into someone else’s rigid mold. I’ve witnessed that kind of abuse.

But in regard to mixed marriages, Paul wants a believer to stay married to the unbeliever and not divorce them, (assuming there’s no abuse). The hope for the unbeliever is to become a believer—on their own initiative, not by force or “spiritual” manipulation. Paul is against such coercion. After all, who wants to be married to someone who “loves” because they’re forced (that’s not true love and it’s not Christian love)

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Jul, 2020 12:28 AM

Countryivy I've noticed the same thing too. We need to work out "our own faith" with fear and trembling. Because we know on judgement day some professing Christians, are in for a suprise...