Author Thread: I dont know how to be funny
JC2002

View Profile
History
I dont know how to be funny
Posted : 27 Aug, 2020 07:35 PM

as the title states. I dont really know how to be funny. I cant seem to turn the serious switch off. could anyone give me advice on how to be funnier?

I know it's sad. but I never really had an outlet for that kind of stuff. always been like a social outcast. what do I find funny? it can vary depending on the day. might find inappropriate humor funny one day and than the next find dark humor funny. Im strange in that way.

I feel like I need to be funny in some way to be able to date someone long term.

Jayzeee

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Aug, 2020 02:58 AM

I don't know why you feel the need to be funny ? Instead of just being your natural self, no one likes to be mislead. And that's what you'll be doing if you present a false persona...:-)

Jadire

View Profile
History
Posted : 28 Aug, 2020 10:26 AM

If you try to BE funny, you'll probably look more like "fake". Honestly, just be you...whether its shy or whatever...humor is something that is personal to the recipient....I dont think you can "make" that happen...and besides, you'll get tired of being that way all the time when its not even you.

View Profile
History
Posted : 29 Aug, 2020 11:20 AM

Adding on to the good advice offered by the previous respondents, I would add something small.

You mentioned you have always been a social outcast. Good thing you have always been wonderfully made by a perfect creator that gives you perfect joy. What is in your heart flows from your mouth. Thoughts of peace and laughter within our hearts can be infectious. Best regards brother.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Sep, 2020 12:12 PM

Some people seem to be born humorous. They talk and act funny as if it’s their nature and for many it is.

Some simply have comic sense or it’s their unique way of expressing their views that make people laugh.

Others might use humor through experiences suffered.

Others enhance their inner comic by listening to or reading comedy. There’s an idea for ya.

Hardly any comedian is exactly alike except for artificial mimics.

There’s all kinds and types of humor. There’s dead pan, satirical, slap stick, stand up, self-deprecating, situational and many more. Then there are variations within classes.

Some gifted comedians seem to have few if any limits.

But here’s something VERY important to keep in mind. Not everyone shares the exact same genre of humor.

Let’s face it, Conan O’Brian can’t make everybody laugh! Some people just don’t feel his humor is funny. But just because he’s not funny to some people doesn’t mean he’s not funny to others, if that were the case, he wouldn’t have an audience.

The kind of humor I would encourage you to stay clear of is dark forms of humor especially with those of sexual content or anything inconsistent with the clear teachings in the Bible—assuming you’re a Christian.

I realize how hard it can be to resist hearing all sinful forms of humor because some comedians and friends jumble good and bad humor.

The reason I avoid sensual or sexual comedy is based on this verse of scripture. Ephesians 5 3But among you, as is proper among the saints, there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed. 4Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk, or crude joking, which are out of character, but rather thanksgiving. 5For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure, or greedy person (that is, an idolater), has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things the wrath of God is coming on the sons of disobedience. 7Therefore do not be partakers with them

As for you being a societal outcast remember the kind of people most often chosen by God.

I’m considered an outcast by many as well.

So from one outcast to another: 1Corinthians1:26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29so that no one may boast before him. 30It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”

Alligator

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 Sep, 2020 08:02 PM

Many people prefer a friend or mate who is serious and thoughtful. Others like loud and raucous humor daily. BE YOURSELF. Remember President Lincoln who said You can fool all the people some of the time. You can fool some of the people all of the time. But you cannot fool all the people all of the time. -- if you are not funny, dont worry about it. Be Yourself

JonLeeJunior

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Jan, 2021 11:44 PM

Hi JC,

don't worry - on an Internet-dating site a sense of humour counts for very little. The cyber-world's vital stats go for indicators of wealth, age and height before the guy is swiped over to the delete can to make room for someone who will hopefully be better. A humorous message will not even be read if you are under 6ft.

Even in real life, having a stable job is more important for building a stable relationship.

Women say they like a good sense of humour but in truth they only value it as a welcome add-on, not an essential. Evolution - or, God's Creationist bio-matrix - is set that women need a safe nest and a hunky male to show off and threaten others by.

I have a sense of humour (so much so that I wondered if this posting of yours were a joke tease by a pal of yours) but not much money or a stable job. Result: still single.

Advice, don't try to be funny/humorous; as the quality of comedy is not strained. Relax and it will work out. .Just feel light and humorous and easy-going in yourself and say little

The fact that you value humour is a sign that you're healthy up top.

God Bless, Jon Lee Junior

'Annoying other people since 1966'

GreyGrey

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jan, 2021 06:23 AM

well your post made me laugh jc .... so congrats your are funny