Author Thread: The name of GOD, and His Word: Psalm 138 verses 1 - 2
Quiznos

View Profile
History
The name of GOD, and His Word: Psalm 138 verses 1 - 2
Posted : 25 Sep, 2020 08:30 AM

Berean study bible:

1 I give You thanks with all my heart; before the gods I sing Your praises.

2 I bow down toward Your holy temple and give thanks to Your name for Your loving devotion and Your faithfulness;

You have exalted Your name and Your word above all else.

KJV:

1 I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee.

2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

New American Standard:

1 I will give You thanks with all my heart; I will sing praises to You before the gods.

2 I will bow down toward Your holy temple, And give thanks to Your name for Your lovingkindness and Your truth;

For You have magnified Your word according to all Your name.

Orthodox Jewish Bible

1 Thee with my whole lev; before the elohim will I sing praise unto Thee.

2 I will worship toward Thy Heikhal Kodesh, and praise Shmecha (Thy Name) for Thy chesed and for Thy emes; for Thou hast magnified Thy Word above Kol Shimcha (all Thy Name; Yn 1:1, 14 ).

GOD Almighty places the same importance upon His Word, as He does with His name.

To believers, the Word of GOD should be just as important as His name.

Believers should want to know the name(s) of GOD Almighty as well as the rest of His Word, as His name(s) are revealed in His Word.

If the Word of GOD is not trustworthy, then neither is His name.

Since GOD Almighty and His Word are trustworty, how then should i / we as believers be with our words.

Do i give someone my word, only to make excuses when i do not keep that word.

Do i make plans with someone, only to change those plans when another person asks me to be with them.

The importance GOD Almighty places on what what He says to man.

A Faithful Version:

Genesis 15 verese 1 - 18

1 After these things the Word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, "Fear not, Abram, I am your shield and your exceedingly great reward."

2 And Abram said, "Lord GOD, what will You give me since I go childless, and the heir of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus?"

3 And Abram said, "Behold, You have given no seed to me; and lo, one born in my house is my heir."

4 And behold, the Word of the LORD came to him saying, "This man shall not be your heir; but he that shall come forth out of your own loins shall be your heir."

5 And He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward the heavens and number the stars--if you are able to count them." And He said to him, "So shall your seed be."

6 And he believed in the LORD. And He accounted it to him for righteousness.

7 And He said to him, "I am the LORD that brought you out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give you this land to inherit it."

8And he said, "Lord GOD, by what shall I know that I shall inherit it?"

9 And He said to him, "Take Me a heifer of three years old, and a she-goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon." 10 And he took all these to himself, and divided them in the middle, and laid each piece opposite the other; but he did not divide the birds.

11 And when the birds of prey came down upon the carcasses, Abram drove them away.

12 And it came to pass, as the sun was going down, that a deep sleep fell upon Abram. And, behold, a horror of great darkness fell upon him!

13 And He said to Abram, "You must surely know that your seed shall be sojourners in a land that is not theirs, (and shall serve them and they shall afflict them) four hundred years.

14 And also I will judge that nation whom they shall serve. And afterward they shall come out with great substance.

15 And you shall go to your fathers in peace. You shall be buried in a good old age.

16 But in the fourth generation they shall come here again, for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full."

17 And it came to pass--when the sun went down and it was dark--behold, a smoking furnace and a burning lamp passed between those pieces.

18 In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying, "I have given this land to your seed, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river Euphrates,

In this covenant, when the flame ( which represents the presence of GOD Almighty) passes between the pieces if flesh, GOD is saying;

If i do not keep my word with you, may what happened to these animals be what happens to me.

Let us be careful of the words we speak with others, when we say that we will be doing something, ( like meeting with others for a meal or fellowship etc... )then lets keep our word

Let us be men and women that keep our word,even if it means we lose our lives.