Author Thread: Scenario: your wife was just grilled by your atheist eldery parents, for being Christian. Your reaction?
IrenaK

View Profile
History
Scenario: your wife was just grilled by your atheist eldery parents, for being Christian. Your reaction?
Posted : 18 Jan, 2021 02:54 PM

This is real scenario, it has happened to me.

What would you do?

Do you stand and protect your wife, even if you, hypothetically, are atheist and go against your parents in this situation, or , you let your wife stand for herself and try to communicate with them , while you are remaining silent as you are not yourself in the religion topic.

Timplus2cats

View Profile
History
Scenario: your wife was just grilled by your atheist eldery parents, for being Christian. Your reaction?
Posted : 20 Jan, 2021 05:49 PM

If I had atheist parents that I believed would "grill" my wife, I would have let her know, and prompted her how she could either engage them or how to bow out gracefully. But if the parents were overly confrontive and not respectful, I would absolutely let them know they were out of line. Depending on how upset my wife is from the confrontation, I may ask them to apologize.

LittleDavid

View Profile
History
Posted : 20 Jan, 2021 06:11 PM

Good answer.

Most definitely aid your wife.

Fortunately Atheists rarely offer logical arguments and they all pretty much model their arguments after something they’ve seen in a movie like the DaVinci Code or some other false release. Most atheists and agnostics seem to repeat whatever they’ve been told.

After listening to atheist college professors debate for so long and so foolishly one no longer questions the lack of academic performance among modern students

T0TH3M4X

View Profile
History
Posted : 24 Jan, 2021 09:18 AM

1 Peter 3:15-16 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

I think it's good to politely share in these situations. If the parents want to rage, then that is their choice. You can't control other people, but you can control you. If their atheism makes them rage, then I don't see that it helps their position.

View Profile
History
Posted : 1 Feb, 2021 06:18 AM

Hi IrenaK.

Well, I obviously cannot answer your question as a hypothetical atheist, seeing how I'm a Christian who can only answer for himself, but Jesus did directly answer your question from the perspective of a Christian when he said:

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:34-37)

Jesus, while citing from Micah 7:5-6, warned that allegiance to him would create division amongst family members...including the mother-in-law vs. daughter-in-law scenario that you mentioned.

Any Christian's first allegiance must be to Christ or else, according to Jesus, we are not worthy of him.

With such being the case, any Christian husband should always stand on the side of Christ, regardless of who he has to stand against while doing so.

I hope that this helps to answer your question.

Marcouse

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 Feb, 2021 02:50 PM

A strong belief can justify and stand up for itself.

I seek truth, most people look for others to concur with their beliefs.

In the situation outlined by the OP I would observe how the grilling played out and possibly stick my oar in on either side depending on how it was going. I'd certainly use it as an opportunity to learn as you don't learn a lot in situations where everyone is in agreement.

joethe1

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Apr, 2021 08:50 AM

Depends on what was said.

Minor family feuds as these do spring up from time to time so in most cases, it's best to just let the elderly vent.

On the other hand, if it is not one of those regular spats and the conversation seems to be getting out of hand, it would behoove you to attempt to steer the convo in a different direction or politely leave with your wife.

There is no excuse for verbal abuse. None.

otismusic

View Profile
History
Posted : 8 Jul, 2021 03:06 PM

Smile dear, smile.....grit teeth, do not disrespect or head towards controversy, they are here for but a while, smile dear, but be firm in your convictions, in all humility, smile and stand on your foundations, not the strength of a husband or some personal perspective of what is right or good, conduct yourself with maturity, even if those that ought do not...smile dear smile...and perhaps hubby will drop just one parent honouring sentence that shows them it is not their house! don't kick against the goads...smile dear smile, humour is better than rage, it is more cutting in it's works....

Page : 1 2