Author Thread: Getting a First Date � Online
Admin

Getting a First Date � Online
Posted : 12 Apr, 2008 04:17 AM

There are a few good rules to remember when you are ready to take the next step with someone you met online, and ask them on a real date. The first rule is the same in cyber space as it is in the real world: Before you ask for a date, don�t be afraid of rejection. Getting turned down can be a bummer, but don�t stress. Remind yourself that just because one person says no doesn�t mean that everyone will, so don�t give up hope. Everyone has to experience rejection to appreciate it when they do get a date.

Another rule: Never request a first date for a Friday or a Saturday night, because those nights are too big and important for a first date. Begin with a more run-of-the-mill kind of day, such as a Tuesday or a Thursday, which is a day when most people don�t tend to plan a lot of activities. Making the first date a non-weekend event will take some of the pressure off, as it will make it a more low-key event. Try going out to lunch first instead of dinner. An evening date can often end with an awkward doorstep scene that could be avoided with a more casual meeting.

Here�s another good rule of thumb: Always offer a potential date options about what to do for your first time going out. These options can include all aspects of the big day � the time, the activity, how to get there, etc. By offering a few choices right from the start you sound confident that the potential date will accept one of your great suggestions. What�s more, even though coming up with more than one first date plan might take extra effort; it also offers a better chance of success. And if the date takes a pass on all your options, you know that person doesn�t want to go out with you. Take it as a lesson learned, and move on.

One final thing to remember � Never say, �So, would you like to go out sometime?� If you phrase your invitation to a first date like that, you are inviting an easier and more definite rejection. And if they say yes, then you still have to ask them out! Instead, be specific, that way you won�t look quite as hopeless, even if you get turned down.

Here the author Sam Yagan writes about the golden rules to follow for dating and to be precise. Sam goes deep to suggest for the days preferable for dating. For more information visit http://www.okcupid.com/

View Profile
History
Posted : 4 May, 2008 02:33 PM

Hmmmm. I'm wondering how you get To the first date? As in, how long is the suggested time online-only? What is the average? IS it dependent on what you are looking for?

And, how far into the getting-to-know-you stage do you go before you stop communicating with others and concentrate on only one?

I'd love to see what some of your experiences have been...

Or wherre do I look to get this sort of info?

thanks

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 May, 2008 01:08 AM

Peace of the LORD be with you, Abbiegirl.

I am in no way an expert on dating and can only give you my past experiences to the questions you have. How to get to the first date? Tell him you just won the lottery and need someone to celebrate with; No, just teasing. I would say communicate as much as possilbe both online and on the phone before having your first date. Always watch for red flags and distruths. Suggested time would depend on you. You can have lots of communications and not know each other while on the other hand have less communications and know each other very well. That would depend on the both of you. Yes, always look for what you want and never settle for what you don't want. You may have to adjust your expectations cause not all are as wealthy as Bill Gates.:laugh: Before concentrating on just one, the both of you should have stated some type of commitment. This would keep each of you from being tempted to keep looking plus keep you from being hurt. Remember you can always stop your commitment before going further alot easier than if you were engaged or married. If you would like better info on dating, try 'Boundaries in dating" by Henry Cloud. I hope thius helps and I pray for guidance for you.

T:goofball:mie

I'm wondering how you get To the first date? As in, how long is the suggested time online-only? What is the average? IS it dependent on what you are looking for?

And, how far into the getting-to-know-you stage do you go before you stop communicating with others and concentrate on only one?

I'd love to see what some of your experiences have been...

Or wherre do I look to get this sort of info?

View Profile
History
Posted : 5 May, 2008 01:17 AM

Good points, smthomas.

I have found that when a couple finally makes it to the first date to do it during the daytime. This is a security measure for the lady. Meet in a public place with many people around.

Ladies, bring your cell phone and never leave with the person and drive your own vehicle.Let someone know, like a close friend, where you are going and when you'll be home. You can always call that friend and mention you are staying a little longer. Avoid alcohol; always use your better judgement. And never leave at the same time.

I hope these points are as helpful as smthomas'. GOD bless and have fun.

T:goofball:mie

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 May, 2008 12:08 AM

Hi Abbie,

I am kind of surprised you're asking the question, 'how long should I take before a first date?' There is no 'time factor' involved on 'how long two persons communicating with each other online should meet. Meeting a person online for the first time or not meeting them at all is dependent on your personal comfort level. Only you can make the best choices and decisions for yourself. Follow your instincts always and exercise caution until the person proves trustworthy. I don't think its meeting the person that you should worry about, its trusting that person which 'takes time.' Good luck.

View Profile
History
Posted : 13 May, 2008 12:25 AM

Hi Abbie,

Most of the questions you are asking is dependent on your expections and your comfort level. Remember only you know what is best for you.

Even if someone writes a book about 'dating' or 'the length of time it takes to meet a person online' or when should you 'narrow down your selection and focus on one or two potentially serious or compatible suitors' only you know what is best for you.

Everyone has their own opinion about things and what might work best for someone might not work best for you. You have to remember also you might not necessarily agree with the material written in a book about 'dating' or the 'time factor' as to meeting someone. Like I've said before the material written by an author might work for you or might not work for you because it is just another person's opinion.

Only you knows what is best for you. So on one hand whilst it is a good thing to be open to advice no one knows you better than yourself. Trust your instincts and good luck again.

View Profile
History
Posted : 11 Dec, 2008 08:47 PM

LOL !! First date >> I'd just settle for a first chat I am rather blut and to the oint but I am no way coold . I praise our God Holy Father with as much love as I can and I want someone to just be friendly with me and be raher kind .. and take from there it is kind of like bread it has to rise first before you can bake it ..:bouncy: