Author Thread: Is true love driven by physical appearance or a connection?
Dannygal

View Profile
History
Is true love driven by physical appearance or a connection?
Posted : 12 Feb, 2021 05:41 AM

Can a physical disability hinder you from love and marriage?

I think a happy couple is the one who who see themselves supplementing each other's weaknesses..........

What do you say?

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Feb, 2021 10:34 AM

Did physical disabilities hinder Jesus from loving those with the same or from making them a part of his bride?

No, they did not.

Do the same things hinder men who claim to be Christians?

Well...

Dannygal

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Feb, 2021 12:16 PM

Thanks for your feedback akindsoul.

I doubt we still have people who relate relationships to Jesus as you just did. The right comparison would probably be loving a wife like Christ loved the church. Still few men achieve this....

Let's be realistic here.....

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Feb, 2021 03:36 PM

Hi, Dannygal.

Reality is that God ordained marriage to be a natural reflection of the spiritual union between Christ and the church, even as you just noted. If men (and women) aren't living up to this standard by God's grace, then that's a serious problem, and not something to be taken lightly.

Anyhow, more to your original question, the woman that I was married to for almost 18 years did suffer a very serious fall at one point during our marriage. The fall left her with a traumatic brain injury (TBI), back damage, and she was actually paralyzed, on and off, for a period of a few weeks. She had to spend many months learning how to walk again because she was suffering from some pretty major vertigo as well, and her balance was completely off.

Anyhow, I not only stood by her throughout all that, but, quite frankly, her temporary physical disability, as challenging as it was, was nothing compared to her permanent psychological disability. In other words, she was repeatedly sexually molested by her own father between the ages of 5 and 6 years old, and, as you might imagine, that totally messed her up internally. You have no idea how many times she had flashbacks and the like...even to the point of going into paralytic shock once. Ironically, yet somewhat understandably considering how much that whole idea messed her up internally, she ultimately cheated on me multiple times, and then divorced me.

My point?

Throughout the whole almost 18 year ordeal, I never was dissatisfied or anything like that because of how these disabilities, whether physical or psychological, negatively impacted me.

True love is selfless, and it is possible if one is truly submitted to God.

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Feb, 2021 03:45 PM

That should have read "that whole ordeal" and not "that whole idea".

Dannygal

View Profile
History
Posted : 12 Feb, 2021 04:55 PM

That in indeed a kind soul! Your were a blessing to your wife regardless of how the marriage turned out. You are blessed, my brother.

True love is the God original way of marriage. It is well portrayed when Adam woke up and saw Eve!

My brother, it is great that you base your outlook on life, on God. A man can never go wrong when God's word is the benchmark.

Allow me to say that physical disability during the marriage as was your case is handled with understanding. It would really be evil to leave your spouse because they have suffered an accident and ended up with a disability!

On the other hand, physical disability tend to put a person l at a disadvantage in relationships where love is pegged to physical appearance. If you read profiles you will notice unconscious bias in the expectations or desired qualities of a spouse.

Physical Beauty is good but it is also vanity as the Bible says. If only people would go for inner beauty first I believe marital bliss would be more rewarding. Love me for what I am not what I have...... Unfortunately, men are more drawn to a woman's physical beauty.

BreadtotheButter

View Profile
History
Posted : 26 Feb, 2021 07:18 PM

True love is many things, Many things is True Love, True love can be loving your neighbor, true love can be praying for your enemies, True love is not bragging or boasting, True love is not judging other’s, True love is in the heart. Love can be driven by physical appearance, but it will be the devil steering the wheel....

Moonlight7

View Profile
History
Posted : 27 Feb, 2021 07:45 AM

Many people with disabilities have married.

Many people without disabilities cannot seem to get married.

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Mar, 2021 05:51 PM

Quick answer is true love comes to everyone in God's timing. As for physical appearances, that is the first connection in a relationship usually. If you're not attracted to them on the outside it's hard pressing forward with any Long-term marriage type relationship.

joethe1

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 Apr, 2021 08:21 AM

You need five things:

Physical attraction (where both y'all feel mutually attracted to each other)

Compatibility (too many differences in interests or tastes DO affect a relationship)

Trust (yeah, I went there)

Compromise (it's a good idea to strike a compromise on what you want to do--sometimes)

Godly love (you need to have feelings for God and His word)

Off the top, that's what's you really need to make your relationship work.

If you'd like to learn more, purchase or borrow the book "Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus" to get a snapshot of what a healthy relationship can look like and what you can contribute to make your relationship better.

View Profile
History
Posted : 3 May, 2021 03:39 PM

I believe you need both. Physical appearance enhances a desire for sex. And the character & personality of a person and qualities help as well in a lasting relationship. As for physical disability? I'm not sure. It depends the severity of it and what exactly is the limitation. I hope my reply helps in some way.

Page : 1 2