Author Thread: Follow
Admin

Follow
Posted : 5 Nov, 2009 08:56 AM

John 1:43

The next day He purposed to go into Galilee, and He found Philip. And Jesus said to him, �Follow Me.�

�Follow�

In July 2001, a few friends and I embarked on a long-anticipated rim-to-rim Grand Canyon hike. But our great adventure ended after only one day. We made it to the canyon floor, but due to the stifling heat (127�F) and dehydration we couldn�t finish. After sleeping a few hours, we began our trek back up the narrow ledge trail at 2:00 a.m. The experience of hiking in pitch-black darkness was harrowing. With just one headlamp, we could see only a few feet in front of us. We made it out by following the one who was leading, taking small steps as our meager light allowed.

Our experience reminds me of how Jesus repeatedly invited people to join Him in His life and work. When Jesus encountered Philip in Galilee, He simply said, �Follow Me� (v.43). And to Simon Peter and Andrew: �Follow Me� (Matthew 4:19). And to the rich young man: �Follow Me� (Matthew 19:21). To the tax collector, to the beggars along the road, to rulers, to servants, to the rich and the poor, one word stands out: �Follow.�

It�s the same for us. While obedience to�and friendship with�God takes many forms, the central theme is this: Follow. Simply follow. Our prime responsibility in our spiritual journey is not to craft grand plans or muster up sincere commitment or to work hard to discern all God might be up to. Our crucial responsibility is to pay attention to whatever light (large or small) God provides�and to simply take the next step.

When we follow, we�re dependent on the one we are following. We don�t fret about the long stretch ahead. We don�t harbor regrets over what took place during the miles behind us. We don�t focus on things that don�t really matter. We simply follow. Follow Jesus today. �Winn Collier, Our Daily Journey

CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org

(devotional sent me daily from Tangle.com)

View Profile
History
Follow
Posted : 5 Nov, 2009 04:35 PM

and how about:

Deuteronomy 10:18

�He executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and shows His love for the alien by giving him food and clothing.

�1.8 million�

We�re talking 1.8 million. That�s the record- breaking number of people who swarmed the US Capitol grounds on January 20, 2009, to watch the inauguration of President Barack Obama. That number�1.8 million�is also the heart-wrenching number of orphans struggling to survive in Uganda, the small country in East Africa where I live.

Daily, I witness some of Uganda�s parentless children striving to make it to �tomorrow.� Some beg. Some are forced into child labor. Some drop out of school to care for dying relatives. Some are placed in orphan homes. Others, sometimes as young as 5 years old, are trafficked and sexually exploited.

Today, make a difference on behalf of the millions of orphans around the world: � Pray that those who intend to prey on children will not succeed. Exodus 22:22-23 says, �You must not exploit a widow or an orphan. If you exploit them in any way and they cry out to Me, then I will certainly hear their cry.� � Pray for God�s people who are seeking justice on behalf of the orphans around the world. Ask God how you can support these little ones. �Give justice to the poor and the orphan; uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute. Rescue the poor and helpless; deliver them from the grasp of evil people� (Psalm 82:3-4). � Ask God how you can help the orphans in your city or region. �Leave [a portion of your crops] for the foreigners, orphans, and widows. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all you do� (Deuteronomy 24:19).

Remember, �Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you� (James 1:27). �Roxanne Robbins, Our Daily Journey

CLICK HERE to visit OurDailyJourney.org

If you're interested in talking about this topic, please feel free to send me a message.