Author Thread: How/When did you become a fan?
Admin

How/When did you become a fan?
Posted : 18 May, 2010 10:38 PM

What teams are you a fan of and why/when/how did you become one?

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 May, 2010 09:29 AM

I'm not a big fan of watching sports, I prefer to play them, but I have a few teams that I like. My favorite basketball team is the Phoenix Suns; I became a fan when I was 10 or 11 because I was born in Phoenix so I figured I should like that team! My favorite baseball team is the Chicago Cubs, even though they are a horrible team, because my little league team was the Cubs and we had the same uniforms and everything. My favorite hockey team is the Detroit Redwings. My 7th grade history teacher was a huge fan, and she had a rule (or something) that anyone that wore a Redwings jersey the day after a winning game she would give them candy. So I watched every game I could and begged my parents to buy me a jersey, but they refused to buy me a jersey until 8th grade after we moved. My favorite football teams are the Nebraska Huskers and the Miami Dolphins. I also like MSU's football team, but that is mostly so I can playfully argue with my sister, who is a die hard U of M fan, about which team is better. I know that U of M is a much better team though.

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 May, 2010 06:53 PM

Being from Oregon, where there is only one professional sports team, everybody from there young and old loves the Portland Trailblazers. I reached my peak of fan-dom in the 8th grade where they had a bit of a dark time and became the Jailblazers. After a few years of that, i did something i never thought i'd do and disowned them. but started again when Brandon Roy started emerging and love them now more than ever. Especially after this season getting Andre Miller and Marcus Camby. Their GM is really savvy and gives me good reason to believe there will be many great seasons to come as long as he is the GM

Second, being that there is no other professional sports team, we embrace the second closest thing: college football. On that front there is no middle ground you are either a Duck (U of O) or a Beaver (OSU) and wars can be started over that. Like I'm not even kidding people get angry and lose it. I was raised a Beaver since my Dad and his brother went to OSU, but the problem was the never won anything. So after being in the Army for a while and away from home it seemed natural to be a Duck since they win and have a really exciting playing style (Just be the fastest team out there lol). Each year seems to be better then the next too. First it was Dennis Dixon, then Jeremiah Masoli, Jeremiah Johnson, and LeGarret Blount, then Chip Kelley's coming out party moving from Offensive Coordinating Guru to Head Coach w/ Masoli, LaMichael James, Jeff Maehl, and Barner.

In Iraq, the reading or catching glimpses of the Ducks' exploits were pretty much my only ray of sunshine, and what inspired me to start running. U of O has a big running tradition w/ Steve Prefontain, and Nike origninating from there that kinda carried over osmosis style. That and it looked like LeGarret Blount or Masoli, or Johnson could run through a brick wall at 60 mph and i thought it'd be cool if i could do that too :laugh: They also have an off-the-beaten path, but smart mindset, which is kinda how I am so that resonates with me too.

Win The Day. Go Ducks!

View Profile
History
Posted : 21 May, 2010 06:59 PM

Oh yeah, I also liked the Mariners in the 90's when they had Griffy, A-Rod, Randy Johnson, hmm seemed like there were others, but anyway they were really exciting to watch too. but that just kinda died out when their MO seemed to become get rid of every good player we have. and now i just think baseball is insanely boring.

GraceMae

View Profile
History
Posted : 22 May, 2010 08:07 PM

Hey Brandon! I'm in the Dallas metroplex and I've been an avid fan of the Dallas Cowboys... have been for many years now. I actually got started watching football years ago because my Dad was into it, and he taught me what some things meant when I asked stupid questions. I learned as much as I could about the game and it has served as a good advantage for me when conversing with the male gender! I have something other than talking about relationships :rolleyes: Men figure I'm not so dumb I can talk relatively intellegently about football (either that or they just go along with me anyway and don't want to hurt my feelings!:glow:) With football though, I also like watching other pro football teams... especially at playoff!

Pro basketball I like but mainly during the playoffs. My Dad is geographically distanced from me, so we talk on the phone long distance during the night games and banter in exchange. He likes that.

I used to think pro baseball games boring, but the last few years, I like to watch it sometimes.. Of course I pull for the Texas Rangers!

And last but not least, I love bowling!! [ Many don't consider bowling a Sport, but I beg to differ] Mainly cause I LOVE TO BOWL!! I used to bowl in travel league for several years, but then God got hold of me cause I was doing it all day on Sundays, and the Holy Spirit started convicting me. Now I bowl just for fun. It's also a good exercise for flex and extending! :glow:

stormcountry33

View Profile
History
Posted : 25 May, 2010 09:08 AM

I'm fron Indiana but am a HUGE Chicago sports fan. I love the Bulls, Cubs, and Blackhawks. Not sure when the Cub things starter but I starter being a Bulls fan shortly after Jordon retired for the last time. I always like Pipen and Jordan but never really watched them til later. Been a fan ever since. Not sure about the Blackhawks either but I've been a fan for a couple of years now. I also like the Colts. I started watching them when Peyton was drafted. I used to watch him play for TN.