Author Thread: Spot in my heart for the X-Files
Admin

Spot in my heart for the X-Files
Posted : 15 Jul, 2008 01:59 AM

Its probably the filmmaker in me...the show was so groundbreaking in terms of scripts/plots, cinematography, and special effects. How many shows would we not have today had it not paved the way? CSI and Lost and many more. Some of the religious themes wavered between new ageyness and agnosticism at times but it must be given credit for at least posing the religious questions to an audience that had previously been lulled into not having to think at all...and with the ever-present symbolism of the cross, references to prayer, God being the higher power, and miracles exceeding the power of any threat that extra-terrestrials might pose - - smart sci-fi and good thriller entertainment without senseless gore and in the age before the formula for good TV had to include continual references to sex and drugs.

Whether you're a fan or not, it has most certainly woven its way into our pop culture. Come on, name a major magazine cover it wasn't on. And now they're making a new movie. Awesome.

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2008 05:07 PM

Hello,

Well I am not a x File Fan,However,it should be a hit and you proababely will enjoy it if you go see it!!! Do you like The Hit Series "Bones" I tried to watch a little bit in 06 but not much of a Science Fiction Buff,maybe if I tried again I would like it who knows!!!

P.S Just focus on you and what Jesus has for you In

The Ministry and let nothing distract you!!!

~Lynda~

View Profile
History
Posted : 16 Jul, 2008 05:49 PM

Hello,

Well I am not a x File Fan,However,it should be a hit and you proababely will enjoy it if you go see it!!! Do you like The Hit Series "Bones" I tried to watch a little bit in 06 but not much of a Science Fiction Buff,maybe if I tried again I would like it who knows!!! Do you think you will see it???

P.S Just focus on you and what Jesus has for you In

The Ministry and let nothing distract you!!!

~Blessings~

~Lynda~

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jul, 2008 12:11 PM

God does not give the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. If God does not give the spirit of fear, then who does? I can understand the fascination you have with shows like x-files, the thrill of being scared out of your mind or solving a mysterie. But to entertain yourself with those kinds of shows gives Satan an opportunity to take away the peace of the Lord.

Forgive me if I'm coming accross as harsh, but as Christians we live in spiritual warfare...I don't think it's wise to take your helmet off and entertain fear even for a moment. Fear is a dangerous thing to play with.

All I remember about the X-files is seeing that show once and having nightmares for weeks, it was foolish and should not be praised or glorified. Men create many astonishing things, but thier imaginations are their hearts are darkened.

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jul, 2008 03:24 PM

I know you mean well by given her godly councel but that isn't why people come on her people just want to share and see who eles share in their interest!!! It really up to The Person and their relationship with Christ and it between them and The Lord that is how I look at it!!! We aren't going to change their mind and I have found out that people usally find out for themselves and they feel a conviction from The Lord!!! We can pray for them but that is about it!!! The X Files is supernatural I never really watch a full espideo to really comment or Judge The Show but instead I think if we know The Person Well Enough we can say Hey I watch A Joyce Meyer Program Or C.D That really fills me up with The HolySpirit that Joy fills my cup so to speak!!! I think that will get their attention more in my opionion!!! What you said can have effect on them but we have to becareful when we don't know The Person that Well!!!

~God Bless you and Your Family Richely~

~Lynda~

View Profile
History
Posted : 17 Jul, 2008 03:31 PM

I also,wanted to add that if you know that well then maybe you could speak your mind to them if it apporiate and you got on The Subject with them!!! If you do or don't know them well I ment to say you can say "Hey I watch A Joyce Meyer Program and it really fills my heart with such Joy or something like that!!! It really has a different effect on people especially people you don't know!!! Joyce Meyers deals with The Mind and that how people win The Victory Over The Enemy and not watch a certain program all The Time they end up watching more Godly Things but to come out and say it and preach what people shouldn't do it usally comes off to strong and turns people off and you just get them into a argument believe me I know how people are and work!!!

~God Bless You And Your Family Richely~

~Lynda~

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jul, 2008 09:06 PM

Okay...I have never been the kind of person to start or continue heated arguments on forums. I would just as soon leave a forum first. With that in mind, I would like to calmly express myself.

I would like to LyndaR for pointing out the reason that people come to these forums. There are plenty of topics for spiritual debate and places where people can ask for advice. That is not, however, why I came to this particular section. I felt safe coming here to express my interest.

Just so you know, I made it through college without even owning a television, I rarely watch a movie that isn't PG, and I don't listen to secular music. I have a very dysfiunctional family but when we got the DVD set for X-Files, we became fans together and it became a sort of peace pipe for us. Additionally, I learned an infinite number of filmmaking tips and strategies while watching this show and it has helped me in my career. (Not to mention that the autopsy information actually helped me in one of my biology classes)

We all have our reasons for liking something a little out of the ordinary and I can say that I feel zero conviction when I watch this show. Not that I really have to explain myself or my relationship with God, which by the way I work at daily, but it feels good to vent sometimes.

For the person who felt the need to judge me, I'm not going to do the same in return. I'm sure you had good intentions and you are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to give it out without restraint. I would make a suggestion that you brush up on Matthew 7:1

And as for the question about Bones, I haven't had a chance to watch it but some of the previews I've seen look interesting!

Deborahe

View Profile
History
Posted : 18 Jul, 2008 10:41 PM

JustCause,

RightKnight was giving you some very good advice. Watching T.V. shows that cause a spirit of fear is something I'd strongly advise against. He was not being judgemental; He was doing what GOD expects from us; taking a stand against the enemy.

This is a Christian site; so not matter what section of the forum you're in; if and when GOD leads, you may receive responses of a spiritual nature. GOD doesn't stay in a corner. He is Everywhere!

Love in Christ,

Deborah :angel:

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jul, 2008 12:48 AM

What is this an intervention? Come on guys, lighten up. You may not agree with me, that's fine, but I'm not going to change my opinion of something that has had a lot of positive effects in my life. Please give me the respect that I deserve as an adult for making the choices that I have made and spend your time helpinig people that have come to the forum for specific advice. Who knows, maybe I'll need and ask for it someday, too, but not here.

This was a simple conversation starter in case anyone here had a similar interest. The TV section looked kind of dead.

I've had a lot of experience in missions, altar work, street ministry, youth, and witnessing in general to believers and non, in church and out. And I'll tell you that unsolicited advice is rarely if ever well-received. People will nearly always aregue with you. You know why? People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. They usually have as much faith in whatever ideas they have as you do in yours. Few people want perfect strangers to judge their lives (yes, judge, because that is a simple term that means to make a judgement about)

You are more likely to win someone over by becoming their friend, listening to them, leading by example, etc. In this way, they will most likely ask you for help when they need it because they trust you. And PRAY PRAY PRAY.

There are times that call for tough love, telling it like it is, intervening, etc. But that is usually reserved for family and friends who have already invested themselves in that person and vice versa. OR when someone is doing something that is putting others in danger and needs to be stopped.

I know that God doesn't hide in corners and is everywhere. But I'm not the enemy. I walk with God daily. And I'm right with Him. If you think otherwise, keep it to yourself, please.

Just FYI, I think people see the term judge as some big ugly word that means to be overly harsh and critical. The word "judge" only refers to the forming of an opinion about something, which several people have done of my watching X-Files. So, rather than form an opinion of anyone here, I will just say thanks but no thanks to your advice.

Henceforth this topic is either for discussion of the show for FANS. If there are none, then I guess the topic will die. So be it. I'm sweetly and honestly asking you to go and be there for the people who are reaching out for help. I won't come back here anymore to read or respond to any more posts that are trying to "show me the error of my ways."

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jul, 2008 12:50 AM

Sorry for the part that says:

(yes, judge, because that is a simple term that means to make a judgement about)

It doesn't make sense because some text got rearranged on accident. My statement on "judge" is further down.

Deborahe

View Profile
History
Posted : 19 Jul, 2008 10:20 AM

FEAR is the enemy. Since I'm not a Fan of the show; I'll respect your request and reply no more. Shaking the dust !

In Christ,

Deborah

Page : 1 2